Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain
    I roll on BF Goodrich Long Trail T/As..
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    On my Specy Epic 29er I'm running Specy Captain (F) and Maxxis Crossmark (R). I am pretty happy with this combo right now. I weigh 180# and run 30psi F&R.

Gotta pay to play
    Got Nevegal on my SS and Small Blocks on my geared. I think I prefer the Nevegals... but I also like that particular bike more.

mtbr member
    i just bought some WTB Exiwolf 2.1 race tires for 18 dollars each. i hope it was a good choice for san diego terrain.

im changing out the old tioga extreme xc 2.1s. i didnt notice any problems with those and they were super used when i got the bike.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyHuynh View Post
    i just bought some WTB Exiwolf 2.1 race tires for 18 dollars each. i hope it was a good choice for san diego terrain.

im changing out the old tioga extreme xc 2.1s. i didnt notice any problems with those and they were super used when i got the bike.
    Even if it wasn't man you are out only $36! Some folks spend twice that just for ONE tire! If they suck, figure out why and you'll make a more informed decision next time

Jenson USA
    Jun 2011
    I'm still a fan of the old standby: Panaracer Fire XC Pros. Such a nice tire. Not great on the rear, a little easy to lose lateral grip on ascents. I almost prefer a narrow Velociraptor rear for the grip but the Panaracers ride so nicely and are lighter than any of the WTBs I have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Even if it wasn't man you are out only $36! Some folks spend twice that just for ONE tire! If they suck, figure out why and you'll make a more informed decision next time
    as stated in reviews, they suck in mud! LOL they don't clear at all... cant wait till it dries up so i can really test out these babies.

i need a pressure washer

b a n n e d
    i need a pressure washer
    Why?

mtbr member
    to wash mud off my tires lol

b a n n e d
    to wash mud off my tires lol
    Meh . . . I just let it dry and bounce the bike a few times and off it comes. I try to keep the water away from my bike at pretty much all costs, which is pretty easy to do out here in SoCal.

mtbr member
    really? i just hosed my bike down LOL i dry it right away tho with a chamey.

b a n n e d
    really? i just hosed my bike down LOL i dry it right away tho with a chamey.
    Do a search on washing your bike . . . its okay once in a while if you do it properly, however out here in SoCal, I have gone over a year without washing my bike and it still looks clean.

Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those people who think that washing your bike is some mortal sin that will ruin the thing. Some folks HAVE to do it (e.g., those in the PNW with mud and constant WET), but out here, if it ain't CAKED in mud, I'd just let it dry and it wipes off very easily with a dry towel. You can even make it a little easier to keep clean if you use a polish on the frame.

If you DO wash your bike, keep the pressure to a minimum and avoid all the bearings. Water in the bearings is not your friend.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Do a search on washing your bike . . . its okay once in a while if you do it properly, however out here in SoCal, I have gone over a year without washing my bike and it still looks clean.

Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those people who think that washing your bike is some mortal sin that will ruin the thing. Some folks HAVE to do it (e.g., those in the PNW with mud and constant WET), but out here, if it ain't CAKED in mud, I'd just let it dry and it wipes off very easily with a dry towel. You can even make it a little easier to keep clean if you use a polish on the frame.

If you DO wash your bike, keep the pressure to a minimum and avoid all the bearings. Water in the bearings is not your friend.
    thank you. duly noted

aka The Oxx
    Super fast rolling Kenda Lopes BBG in back, and a Kenda Nevegal up front. That's the ticket!

mtbr member
    Just switched from Maxxis ignitor/ADvantage to Nevegals! I did the Peaty cut mod and im pleasantly impressed! TRACTION!!!

mtbr member
    My tires work great on when it's not muddy! They roll fast when pumped up too. Havnt washed on a fast corner yet. Knock on wood... Money well spent

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Just switched from Maxxis ignitor/ADvantage to Nevegals! I did the Peaty cut mod and im pleasantly impressed! TRACTION!!!
    So I did a search for this and essentially . . . you created a High Roller, not? Am I missing something?

I'm currently running a Nevegal up front and am pretty happy with it . . . it is pretty slow rolling though, which I'm not thrilled about.

mtbr member
    High Roller,no...Similar spaced pattern but different compound/feel. Also a slightly quicker roller! Bites hard in corners. Lose a few grams as well!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    High Roller,no...Similar spaced pattern but different compound/feel. Also a slightly quicker roller! Bites hard in corners. Lose a few grams as well!
    Did you cut every knob, or every other knob?

Front and Rear or just one?

I can see this being good for the rear . . . I have a HR right now in the rear and its starting to wear thin after 600 miles or so. I'm trying to hold off on replacing it because I want to get new wheels and go tubeless, but not sure if thats going to happen or not. I may try this for a rear tire.

Anyone using a Slant Six as a rear tire?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I took my bike in to Jenson USA today for it's 90 day tune up and I'm having them change the tires while it's in there. I decided to go with an Igniter for the rear and and a WTB Bronson for the front on the suggestion from a couple of the people at Jenson and others on this board. I get the bike back on Saturday and will try them out on Tuesday.
    Some days I want to kick my own A$$ twice.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexpredator65 View Post
    I took my bike in to Jenson USA today for it's 90 day tune up and I'm having them change the tires while it's in there. I decided to go with an Igniter for the rear and and a WTB Bronson for the front on the suggestion from a couple of the people at Jenson and others on this board. I get the bike back on Saturday and will try them out on Tuesday.
    WTB Bronson AM TCS front is a beast. I put one on my Yeti ASR7's rear to replace a Fat Albert that worn down in a matter of weeks (under 2 months) and it feels like a totally different tire. I think the inward angled side knobs on the Schwalbe made it like to drift, while the Bronson bites unexpectedly hard, which is a strange feeling if you're used to sweeping the rear a bit to realign it behind the direction the front is pointed. That thing sticks so much that it makes it feel like you cornered with significantly more Gs at the same speed. I'm thinking about putting it up front and maybe putting a high roller out back. If my suspicion is right, that thing will let you take turns on your front tire alone and I'm familiar enough with the High Roller to push it to its limits.

What I love about grippy tires like this is the ability to use the entire trail, no matter if there's 4 sets of cross crossing ruts covering the entire trail or a huge braking rut down the middle with gaps, dips, and bumps around it. It's just point and shoot, as it climbs up the sides of the ruts and sticks to your line on the off cambers. No worrying about it slipping back down into the rut like some other tires. No need to line them up 45 degrees or perpendicular to bumps. Makes it so much easier to blast through sections fast. I'd rather have the grip to have fun than to compromise to make climbs easier, especially since I'm not racing. Though, I hear Joe Lawwill wins Super Ds with the Bronson up front [and, I think, a Weirwolf in the back].

I haven't tried 'em in 29er though. 29ers can get away with less aggressive tires, in my experience.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    F/2.1 Slant six & R/2.1 SB8 have been working out very well for me! Just got me a pair of Happy Mediums 2.1's, these should roll better & corner better. Can't wait to put them to the test.

b a n n e d
    Anyone running Continental Tires? Trail Kings? Thinking about giving them a shot . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've run the 2.4. They work very well in all conditions, very predictable, they rubber compound is great. Long lasting, not too slow for such a large tire.
    The 2.4 is a super tall high volume tire, the 2.2 is probably better for general riding.

Trail Ninja
    I've ran the Trail King (AKA Rubber Queen) in 2.4 Tubeless. They were a very well behaved tire, very predictable, no sketchiness really in them alll, even when pushed close to their limit. The only reason I don't run them is because they died well before their tread wore out, due to the casing tearing (landing a moderate sized drop funny enough to twist the tire) or just springing a leak that was too big to hold air at a decent pressure (the bead was slightly damaged in one spot from mounting and unmounting it with standard yellow pedro's plastic tire levers). Both issues were denied warranty due to "tear", under the wear and tear clause.

Beware there's a few rubber compounds they use. They have a cheaper version that's made in in SE Asia and they have a higher quality version made in Germany which uses their Black Chili compound. Keep that in mind when you buy. Also, to the uninformed, it's easy to confuse Trail king with mountain king or whatever, and the cheap Mountain Kings happen to be the absolute worst tire I've ever tried on SoCal dirt.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast