mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Best Tire Combinations

What tire (2.1 - 2.35) combination front and rear? Tubeless or No Tubeless? Looking for the perfect combination for hardpack, loose gravel, and some sand.

Life Is Short
    whatever grips well up front and Kenda 2.1 small block eights in the rear
    (I'm selling them)
    Ride More, Eat More

mtbr member
    just put a set o tubeless weirwolfs on some stans arch rims. much tougher tire than the wolverine. great grip, takes a little gettin used to in the corners. heavy as sh$%. durable so far. nice thing about tubeless is you can run lower pressures w/o fear of flatting.
    on a different note, this decision you will be making is one of the trial-and-error variety. one individual will swear by one tire that another hates. it's all subjective. just go on the internet and find the best deals, that way you can use and abuse a set of tires and get another set soon enough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I prefer the Maxxis Crossmark on the front with a Maxxis Larson on the rear. Both UST. This combo works well for the local trails and fireroads I ride along the San Gabriel Mountain foothills.

mtbr member
    Looking for the perfect combination for hardpack, loose gravel, and some sand
    You're kidding right?

Mutano Raptor, maybe.

You see where this goes? There is no such thing. What might work for me might not work for you. Hell, I'll ride with SB8s front and rear and people think I am crazy. But I don't have trouble.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Increase your skills and ride bald tires on your favorite trails.

Then when you put ANYTHING on with "teeth", you'll be large and in charge!

Me, I've got 2.35 Maxxis Ignitors mounted on the fr & rear of the blur. . . . I like to fly at 34 psi.
    Last edited by CEB; 09-16-2011 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    @beerun i was considering weirwolf for the rear, it looks like it has a good pattern.
    @machineo Mutano Raptor sounds even better, thanks
    anymore.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I hate it when i drift off the line coming down hot. Its like im thinking it, but the bike has its own mind.

Tried many tires but settled on a 2.35 nevegal up front and a 2.25 nobby nic in the back. Not the easiest tires to push, but it makes going down mucho funno. Soon as the nev goes to chit, im thinking i might try a hans dampf.

Did the same thing with my ht. 2.1 weirwolf front and a 1.9 larsen in the back. Works good too. Gives new meaning to point and shoot.
    Last edited by bing!; 09-18-2011 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    i had another thought, it's about where the rubber hits the road. a lot of times, the rubber in the tires varies. i would go for a denser rubber for so cal trails. that's my 2 cents. so add a little what kind of rubber is on that tire research to your quest. the weirwolf has pretty solid center tread whereas another low resistance tire, the wolverine, wore out quite quickly. at least for the rear tire. front was fine.

another consideration is using a regular tire and converting to tubeless with stans. super light, but not as burly as a ust tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    @beerun.... would that work, converting my non ust nevegals into tubeless. Have u tried and did it work?

mtbr member
    Nevegals have a big issue when running with Stans and the manufacturer does not recommend this setup. It eats their casings.

My recommendation after trying several combinations over the last few months is Hans Dampf front and Nobby Nic or Hans Dampf in the rear. If you want a really light weight combination go with a Fat Albert in the front and Nobby Nic in the rear. The Hans Dampf is 750 grams while you can get the Fat Albert in any style from 560 grams to 1000+ grams. The grip and stability of the Hans Dampf cannot be beat, but the Fat Albert is 85% of the grip. I have also tried the WTB tires and Continental Mountain King in the front. The Continental drifted around quite a bit and I did not like it at all. The WTB tires were not for me either.

mtbr member
    Was riding Kenda Slant Six back/Nevegal front 2.35. Back did not grip well climbing or braking in S Cal loose over hard. Front great cornering but heavy/slow.

First ride today after reading good things about the Conti Trail Kings and throwing on 2.4's front/back. First impression is great. Massive grip, great cornering, huge, light. Riding partner claimed massive 2.4 in back would cook me on the hills, but 2500ft later he ate his words; things roll great. May entertain 2.2 rear thoughts but will stick with the Conti's.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by deano machineo View Post
    You're kidding right?

Mutano Raptor, maybe.

You see where this goes? There is no such thing. What might work for me might not work for you. Hell, I'll ride with SB8s front and rear and people think I am crazy. But I don't have trouble.
    I run them front and rear for all conditions all the time, myself. They track fine. I think having a good understanding of your bike by knowing it's balance reactions helps with any tires used. I can make my SB8s grip on a frozen lake if I need to.

For the original question, if you are riding on dirt all the time, I think you'll be happy with Kenda Nevegals fornt and rear....but who is to say what the "best tire combination" is???
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am running Kenda Nevagal 2.35 front and rear and for the trails I been doing in socal they work fine for me. Can be a little annoying on flat areas but once the bumps and ruts come they are awsome

mtbr member
    Ardent in front High Roller in back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by calcobra98 View Post
    What tire (2.1 - 2.35) combination front and rear? Tubeless or No Tubeless? Looking for the perfect combination for hardpack, loose gravel, and some sand.
    This is like one of those Holy Grail type questions. At least it is for me over the last 20 years.....currently, I'm enjoying either a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front or a Kenda 2.35 SB8. For the back tire, I like a 2.1 Nevegal in the DTC. The 2.1 Nevegal is actually a pretty big 2.1...it looks bigger, for example, than my old IRC 2.25 Backcountry's.
    It's actually pretty hard to tell from the numbers just how big/small a tire is, volume-wise. Even from the same company.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.