Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Best southern california shuttle trails

Besides The San Juan Trail and Noble Canyon, What are the Best trails to shuttle in southern California?

Sled of Lead.
    SART - San Bernardino Mtns.
    Monroe Truck Trail - Glendora
    Palm Canyon Epic
    Chiquito Trail - next to San Juan

Various Shuttles in the San Gabriel Mountains accessed from Mt. Wilson and Angeles Crest Highway - Many different trail combos. I like Mt. Dissapointment to Upper & Middle Merril to Sunset to El Prieto. This can also be accessed from Mt. Lowe instead of Mt. D.

Out of all these Palm Canyon is by far my fav.

A bit further north:
    Cannel Plunge
    Just Outstanding
    Camp Nelson Trail
    Bear Creek

Even further north:
    Lower Rock Creek Trail near Mammoth
    Last edited by Lead-Sled; 10-15-2012 at 08:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Anderson truck trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by douglaskok View Post
    Besides The San Juan Trail and Noble Canyon, What are the Best trails to shuttle in southern California?

neither one of those is a shuttle trail, people climb them all day long.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    neither one of those is a shuttle trail, people climb them all day long.
    And other people shuttle them....To each his own

mtbr member
    Glendora
    Webb
    Mt. Wilson
    Hellrazor
    Telonics
    Big Bear
    Last edited by slimphatty; 11-05-2012 at 07:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Kernville (Cannel plunge). Camp Nelson. Mt Pinos. Front side Santa Barbara (Tunnel, CS, San ysidro). And a whole slew of illegal ones...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Newb here.

what's a shuttle trail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nickylepew View Post
    Newb here.

what's a shuttle trail?
    A shuttle trail is a trail for people who can't climb. These people are driven to the top of mountains, then they skid all the way down the trail, blowing all the corners out, and scaring the hell out of all other trail users. These shuttlers , also never build trails, unless it's an illegal trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

?????????

That was just an idiotic reply to a question. Way to show your true colors. Just because people want to shuttle a trail does not mean that they can't climb or skid down trails or scare anyone. Some people just like going downhill more than going uphill. The fact that you feel the need to put down how other people prefer to ride a particular trail says a lot about you. I prefer to shuttle the San Juan trail because I only have limited time to ride and I prefer to have as much fun as possible. Climbing that trail takes a lot longer than having a blast riding down it. Please keep you prejudices to yourself.

To the Newb.......shuttling a trail just means that you take two cars and park one at the bottom then drive the other to the top. Once done, you use the other car to drive back up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by douglaskok View Post
    That was just an idiotic reply to a question. Way to show your true colors. Just because people want to shuttle a trail does not mean that they can't climb or skid down trails or scare anyone. Some people just like going downhill more than going uphill. The fact that you feel the need to put down how other people prefer to ride a particular trail says a lot about you. I prefer to shuttle the San Juan trail because I only have limited time to ride and I prefer to have as much fun as possible. Climbing that trail takes a lot longer than having a blast riding down it. Please keep you prejudices to yourself.

To the Newb.......shuttling a trail just means that you take two cars and park one at the bottom then drive the other to the top. Once done, you use the other car to drive back up.
    Instant gratifacation in other words. No work, just rewards. I also have limited time to ride, I enjoy the challenge of climbing to be able to descend. Climbers earn the descent, shuttlers don;t. Nothing idotic in my post, just the facts, deal with it. You are justifing weakness, I have no guilt .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridezum View Post
    Instant gratifacation in other words. No work, just rewards. I also have limited time to ride, I enjoy the challenge of climbing to be able to descend. Climbers earn the descent, shuttlers don;t. Nothing idotic in my post, just the facts, deal with it. You are justifing weakness, I have no guilt .
    I totally agree.

mtbr member
    I always figured self righteous dbags are more of a problem than people shuttling.

Over the Hill
    I like to climb up then take my car back down. Less chance of going to fast and getting hurt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    I like to climb up then take my car back down. Less chance of going to fast and getting hurt.
    Me, I generally do the same, but always walk my bike up the climb. Less chance of breaking a chain.

mtbr member
    Last three posts are awesome!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    I know someone else who likes to do that too!!

Shuttling is fine . . . to each his own. I don't do it because I appreciate the exercise climbing provides and it makes the descent more enjoyable when you've worked for it (to me).

To assert, however, that people who choose to shuttle a climb are the ONLY people who ride irresponsibly on the way down (e.g., skidding, blowing out corners, riding too fast for multi-use trails), is completely ignorant. To further assume that people who shuttle don't do any trail maintenance or build trails is also absurd. There are just as many people who don't shuttle that never do even one day of trail work.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    A shuttle trail is a trail for people who can't climb. These people are driven to the top of mountains, then they skid all the way down the trail, blowing all the corners out, and scaring the hell out of all other trail users. These shuttlers , also never build trails, unless it's an illegal trail.
    I shuttle a local trail. You can't ride up it because it's all ramps, vert walls, drops, and berms. If someone did try to ride up it they would just be in the way.

I take it you;re one of those shiny shoe XC guys, who coincidently, when they aren;t walking their bikes down difficult trail sections, are dragging their rear tires the whole way down..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    I shuttle a local trail. You can't ride up it because it's all ramps, vert walls, drops, and berms. If someone did try to ride up it they would just be in the way.

I take it you;re one of those shiny shoe XC guys, who coincidently, when they aren;t walking their bikes down difficult trail sections, are dragging their rear tires the whole way down..
    You coudn't be more wrong, I'm a MTB'er. I have skills , I enjoy a challenge, uphill or down. I 'm just saddened at what has happened to Mt . Pinos, been climbing it for 20 years,it used to be singletrack, it's just a mess now. Shuttlers have ruined my favorite trail.When I drive over 2 hrs., to ride it, I'm saddened to see the state of this trail. It isn't single track anymore,this trail has been ruined in the last 5 years by skidders. You don't care.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'd like to see someone do the plunge without shuttling. If I remember correctly, something like 3k feet of climbing even with the shuttle. Can't remember if that was with the bonus climb to the top though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-eye-am View Post
    I'd like to see someone do the plunge without shuttling. If I remember correctly, something like 3k feet of climbing even with the shuttle. Can't remember if that was with the bonus climb to the top though.
    Yup. The Plunge is close to 2,200 foot climb without the "bonus" climb. I generally do not shuttle, but after riding the Cannell Trail twice now, I cannot imagine being able to climb from Kernville to Sherman Pass with a gain of 8,400 feet. If there is a ride born to shuttle, this is it. Data below is directly from my GPS. I think there are some rides like this one, most people have to shuttle, but I really like the climb part as much as the decent...

Elevation Gain: 2,185 ft
    Elevation Loss: 8,409 ft
    Min Elevation: 2,734 ft
    Max Elevation: 9,407 ft

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You coudn't be more wrong, I'm a MTB'er. I have skills , I enjoy a challenge, uphill or down. I 'm just saddened at what has happened to Mt . Pinos, been climbing it for 20 years,it used to be singletrack, it's just a mess now. Shuttlers have ruined my favorite trail.When I drive over 2 hrs., to ride it, I'm saddened to see the state of this trail. It isn't single track anymore,this trail has been ruined in the last 5 years by skidders. You don't care.
    I'm saddened by the amount of donkeys like you on bikes. In another thread you blast a guy for wanting to bring people to trails, yet you travel over 2 hours to ride another trail. Which is it Locals Only guy?

Shuttlers specifically aren't blowing out trails, low skilled riders and XC guys dragging their brakes down trails are.....and you're right I don't care. To me, riding Mt Pinos is like watching paint dry, trails like that are a dime a dozen....and even if it is blown out, a skilled mountain biker can find fun lines anywhere. It's probably blown out because guys get so bored riding it that they start sliding through turns to add some excitement.

Lastly, I'm trying to avoid commenting on your mental aptitude, but we're just leaving summer time, it's been hot and dry since December 2011. This long hot dry spell is going to have an impact on trail conditions.

Get a rake, wait for some rain, and STFU.
    Last edited by smellurfingers; 10-28-2012 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    I'm saddened by the amount of donkeys like you on bikes. In another thread you blast a guy for wanting to bring people to trails, yet you travel over 2 hours to ride another trail. Which is it Locals Only guy?

Shuttlers specifically aren't blowing out trails, low skilled riders and XC guys dragging their brakes down trails are.....and you're right I don't care. To me, riding Mt Pinos is like watching paint dry, trails like that are a dime a dozen....and even if it is blown out, a skilled mountain biker can find fun lines anywhere. It's probably blown out because guys get so bored riding it that they start sliding through turns to add some excitement.

Lastly, I'm trying to avoid commenting on your mental aptitude, but we're just leaving summer time, it's been hot and dry since December 2011. This long hot dry spell is going to have an impact on trail conditions.

Get a rake, wait for some rain, and STFU.
    How many
    people live in this remote area, your a ******.I f t his trail is boring why do you commute there.Man your a ******bag,putting it mildly. Did I say your a douchbag, english majors, kiss my /]s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I commend those that skid and lock their brakes up. Brake bumps let me know a turn is coming up. Thanks for looking out for me you irresponsible rapscallions!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast