Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    You guys crack me up! I agree, to each his own. I personally can't bring myself to shuttle even if it is a 4 hour climb.
    But back on point; If I were to shuttle Palm Canyon is awesome. I climb it from Palm Desert because I'm a bad-ass, but lots of people shuttle it.
    Ride it like you stole it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    this thread should be renamed....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridezum View Post
    Instant gratifacation in other words. No work, just rewards. I also have limited time to ride, I enjoy the challenge of climbing to be able to descend. Climbers earn the descent, shuttlers don;t. Nothing idotic in my post, just the facts, deal with it. You are justifing weakness, I have no guilt .
    really?? do you snowboard or ski??? Do you take the lift like most people...then you are a hypocrite. Try hiking up and walking down...Some people love that

and earning the descent...you are just a cheap bassstard ....get a job and earn your truck and gas to get up and down
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yall should quit derailling this here thread. I knew where it would be before opening it, but let's keep it information based. This has been debated ad neasuem, ad infinitum, et cetera. I mean seriously, different strokes for different folks. Accept that or remain a child.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Glad to Be Alive
    You coudn't be more wrong, I'm a MTB'er. I have skills , I enjoy a challenge, uphill or down. I 'm just saddened at what has happened to Mt . Pinos, been climbing it for 20 years,it used to be singletrack, it's just a mess now. Shuttlers have ruined my favorite trail.When I drive over 2 hrs., to ride it, I'm saddened to see the state of this trail. It isn't single track anymore,this trail has been ruined in the last 5 years by skidders. You don't care.
    honestly you have to look who is shuttling...for me...that trail is too boring (I want more drops and steeper)...do I do it now and then...yeah because my wife loves it...usually it is beginners skidding and all....I actually like the blown out corners because then it takes better technique to get around the corners faster...like braking before the corner and rolling through the middle and exit....you can't really group all riders together...I have seen XC'ers who climb up ...blowing through corners and not using front brake...just rear brake skidding...I have seen some Dh guys ride without skidding and I have seen dh'ers skidding too...all cause problems.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chamberlaiy View Post
    I took over a view days. It's a trail called Jedi located in the Santa Monica Mtns,
    Jedi is sweet, but if you're not careful with the traffic you're almost better off walking/pedaling up.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chamberlaiy View Post
    I took over a view days. It's a trail called Jedi located in the Santa Monica Mtns,

wait, i can't understand your post, are you saying that you shuttle Jedi? I'm trying to think how that would even be possible without having to do a shitload of climbing anyhow??
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Jedi is sweet, but if you're not careful with the traffic you're almost better off walking/pedaling up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    wait, i can't understand your post, are you saying that you shuttle Jedi? I'm trying to think how that would even be possible without having to do a shitload of climbing anyhow??
    How do you shuttle Jedi??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JefedelosJefes View Post
    Kernville (Cannel plunge). Camp Nelson. Mt Pinos. Front side Santa Barbara (Tunnel, CS, San ysidro). And a whole slew of illegal ones...
    I strongly agree with this, but dont forget about "Just Outstanding"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodgerdodger View Post
    How do you shuttle Jedi??

definite malingerer

mtbr member
    How many
    people live in this remote area, your a ******.I f t his trail is boring why do you commute there.Man your a ******bag,putting it mildly. Did I say your a douchbag, english majors, kiss my /]s.
    Wow what a hot bed.

I cant help but to chime in on this one.

I am an all mountain rider. Meaning I climb to the top on some days and shuttle on others. But this does come down to trail etiquette. The climber is supposed to have the right of way even though most climbers, like me, will move out of the way of the descender with hopes that the favor will be returned later. I have scent descenders flying off their bikes many times because they do forget who is supposed to have the right of way and I do not have time to move over and give room.

I have even had a guy get in my face and try to throw blows with me because of this. All I did was grab him by his full face and as they say where the head goes the body will follow. Then I took a rock to his frame. Serves him right for being a ********.

But most riders know better I have found only a couple of ********s out there.

Most descenders respect the trail. Don't blast everyone. On a different note everytime we abuse the trails that only gives the hikers ammunition to blast us off the trail for good.

Just my two cents,

Cheers everyone

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. Only a lunatic would take a Fatbike down Jedi.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Yup. The Plunge is close to 2,200 foot climb without the "bonus" climb. I generally do not shuttle, but after riding the Cannell Trail twice now, I cannot imagine being able to climb from Kernville to Sherman Pass with a gain of 8,400 feet. If there is a ride born to shuttle, this is it. Data below is directly from my GPS. I think there are some rides like this one, most people have to shuttle, but I really like the climb part as much as the decent...

Elevation Gain: 2,185 ft
    Elevation Loss: 8,409 ft
    Min Elevation: 2,734 ft
    Max Elevation: 9,407 ft
    That is my stomping ground. I love riding the KRV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Yup. The Plunge is close to 2,200 foot climb without the "bonus" climb. I generally do not shuttle, but after riding the Cannell Trail twice now, I cannot imagine being able to climb from Kernville to Sherman Pass with a gain of 8,400 feet. If there is a ride born to shuttle, this is it. Data below is directly from my GPS. I think there are some rides like this one, most people have to shuttle, but I really like the climb part as much as the decent...

Elevation Gain: 2,185 ft
    Elevation Loss: 8,409 ft
    Min Elevation: 2,734 ft
    Max Elevation: 9,407 ft
    Would love to do this route, is it a lot of HAB or road climbing??
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Any shuttling action tomorrow morning? I'm looking to ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    Would love to do this route, is it a lot of HAB or road climbing??
    There is no road climbing to speak of except a little fire road climb leaving Big Meadow, but there is a little HAB. Some climbs are pretty steep and I walked a bit. I would highly recommend this ride. It does feature a fair amount of exposure, and had my undivided attention.

Goofing off?
    I like to wear golf shoes and tendorize the the trails on my way up, dragging a 45lb rig. For the way down, I take off the seat and endo all the way to bottom. This way, my seatpost creates additional holes and the trails get aerated quite nicely. Once it rains, I then shuttle it and go extra fast so I really smear it all back together.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I shuttle all the time, and I can climb like a mountain goat, hence the name when I raced in Europe. Just because I shuttle doesn't mean I can't climb, and No, I don't skid and blow out corners on the way down. Dumb post, just saying. Negative people suck!

A shuttle trail is a trail for people who can't climb. These people are driven to the top of mountains, then they skid all the way down the trail, blowing all the corners out, and scaring the hell out of all other trail users. These shuttlers , also never build trails, unless it's an illegal trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    GMR is a good one.
    Shuttle service at: Crazy Bear Bikes - Mobile Bike Repair

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Or Shuttle run.com for mnt.willson/mnt.lowe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead-Sled View Post
    Various Shuttles in the San Gabriel Mountains accessed from Mt. Wilson and Angeles Crest Highway - Many different trail combos.

^^ My absolute favorite!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by douglaskok View Post
    That was just an idiotic reply to a question. Way to show your true colors. Just because people want to shuttle a trail does not mean that they can't climb or skid down trails or scare anyone. Some people just like going downhill more than going uphill. The fact that you feel the need to put down how other people prefer to ride a particular trail says a lot about you. I prefer to shuttle the San Juan trail because I only have limited time to ride and I prefer to have as much fun as possible. Climbing that trail takes a lot longer than having a blast riding down it. Please keep you prejudices to yourself.

To the Newb.......shuttling a trail just means that you take two cars and park one at the bottom then drive the other to the top. Once done, you use the other car to drive back up.
    Not true

I climb to Blue Jay and back down before the shuttlers finish riding and picking up cars etc..

mtbr member
    Can't help but chime in. Shuttling for DH and shuttling for point-to-point are two different animals. On some trails like SJT, people do both - thus the conflict. Personally, I much prefer riding up SJT to earn the descent, and there is nothing on the trail that requires suspension at all, much less an 8" travel DH rig. (I ride a 5.5" travel rig 'cause I like suspension). Trails like Cannel all but require a drive to the top - is my understanding.

Then there are true shuttle trails like Telonics. It's a DH specific trail that people spend hours working on to maintain. It's built for DH rigs. Although I've ridden it on my AM rig, I much prefer it on my DH bike. It's a hell of a workout, and I've never seen anyone skidding on it. It has berms. If you skid on the steep parts, you will fall.

I think it helps to understand our sport if you think of skiing/snowboarding as a comparison. There are XC skiers and XC ski trails and there are ski areas for alpine skiing/snowboarding. They are separate sports. Each requires athleticism and fitness, and each provides its own sense of accomplishment and thrills. If XC skiers had to do their thing at ski areas, it wouldn't work. They would get run over by all the skidding and thrill-seeking downhill skiers and snowboarders. Putting the two types of athletes/equipment on the same trails is where the trouble happens.

DH mtb is an amazing workout, especially at a ski area where you can get in several runs in a short period of time. To the holier-than-thou abusive guy above, go try it some time - then chime in about how much it sucks and is not a workout. Also, I would like to see you ride up Telonics. I'll even hold the downhill traffic for you so you don't get interrupted.

As for the topic of this thread, there are many shuttle trails along the I-15 corridor between Corona and Temecula where many videos are shot and the world's best DHer lives. I guess many are consider marginally legal - but they are ridden and maintained by local riders, world-class riders and corporate sponsors.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ I suggest climbing up Canyon Acres or Stairsteps to drop Telonix. That's how we do it!

Btw- I think a lot of the animosity on the SJT towards shuttlers (and I've done it many times, although usually to drop Chiquito), is the fact that it attracts a fair amount of newbies who throw on a full face and try to make it to the bottom, and often don't know trail etiquette--like yielding to climbers. That gets a little old, especially if you're climbing on an SS.

As for the OP, I vote for Cannell, with Palm Canyon a close second, and Chiquito third--but I'm an XC guy!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-15-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2