mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Best Singletrack in Socal???

Looking for some great riding this Thanksgiving weekend. Willing to drive at least a few hours North out of the LA area to get some. Would prefer a nice canopy in the pines as opposed to the same old LA area brush. Somewhere with at least one great singletrack ride and some camping. Rough and tech is ok, but really just looking for some nice flowy singletrack. Any sugg's?? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Try ( SART) Santa Ana River Trail on the back side of Big Bear by Angeles Oaks was there last week miles and miles of single track through tall pines.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the Sierras are calling you..

We are riding the cannel on Sat. It is a 24 mile ride with 9k feet of down hill and about 2.5k feet of climbing. It has a bit of everything...fast and flowy to tech and soft. Starts at over 9k and finishes in Kernville.

On Sunday we are riding Quaking aspen area. Beautiful trail in a Sequoia grove.

Check out....Cannel Plunge ride Sat 11/24
    Geno

Kern River Valley Riding: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/KRV-MTB/

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Geno

I'm interested in joining in. I've never done that ride, but I've done a few in the area, in fact I'm headed up tomorrow morning for a ride, not sure where yet.

Cam

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks fellas. Are there any local shuttle services for Cannel or the SART, or are we on our own?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 93561rider
    Geno

I'm interested in joining in. I've never done that ride, but I've done a few in the area, in fact I'm headed up tomorrow morning for a ride, not sure where yet.

Cam
    We are meeting at the bottom trail head at 8am on Sat to set shuttle. I'll pm you more info.
    Geno

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freerideco
    Thanks fellas. Are there any local shuttle services for Cannel or the SART, or are we on our own?
    We usually hire a local driver for the cannel. There is a commercial service that charges $37. But I have never used them.
    Geno

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Best spot to camp near Kernville?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freerideco
    Best spot to camp near Kernville?
    A great spot it just up the canyon from the bottom cannel trail head at area called "half way" its on the left as your driving up canyon. Its free but usually has outhouses/trash recepticals. There are a lots of developed campgrounds in the area but most are closed for the season. I know a few remain open but I am not sure which.

Its legal and free to camp anywhere along the road/river above Riverkern (just above the trail head) But I always like Halfway because its close to town.

Geno
    Geno

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for all your help Geno.

Johny Sokko!
    What you just asked for is Mt. Pinos!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The best singletrack in So Cal is the Backbone Trail.I havnt ridden the newer section from Circle X yet but I think from lower Encinal(the trail head past Buzzards Roost)to Corral and back is one of the best XC singletracks you can do anywhere.There is pleny of climbing and descending,tricky climbs,fun rocky sections,speedy sections with tight turns.It is an XC ride not really a stunt busting trail but there are plenty of fun sections.From lower Encinal to Corral and back is about 26 miles and it wipes me out.Id like to try from Circle X but that would be a real grind to Corral and back.It shouild be on the IMBA epic list.