120 pounds of xc sex!

the best santa monica mtn trails????

i only know of a few, whats your guys favorite santa monica trails?? i want a good mix of climbing, descending, singletrack....any ideas guys? thanks
    >Ankur
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My favorite SM trail is the Backbone section from Coral Cyn to Zuma fireroad. There are some good trails and views out at Pt Mugu also.

120 pounds of xc sex!

where is ...

where is the backbone trail?

thanks!

>Ankur<

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    where is the backbone trail?

thanks!
    That particular section is best accessed by Kannan Rd. before the last tunnel above Malibu.

A favorite quicky of mine is Westridge Singletrack. Nice roller coaster ride.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    That particular section is best accessed by Kannan Rd. before the last tunnel above Malibu.

A favorite quicky of mine is Westridge Singletrack. Nice roller coaster ride.

Is that the one where (if you are heading toward the coast) there is a trailhead parking lot just before the tunnel on the west side of the hwy . . . . and you start off by climbing along the road to get to the top of the bridge/tunnel and then cross over to the east side of the road to begin the ride?

If it is, that’s a great ride with lots of choices. I did it once after about three weeks of solid rain. The creeks were so high in a couple of places, we were wading through them almost waist deep in spots. Somehow ended up on Bulldog before we came back out. What a way to end a day of climbing.

120 pounds of xc sex!

so

whats the best way to get there? take the 10, get of on pch then just head north? (and whats the best loop in your guys opinion?

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

My favorite is ride

whats the best way to get there? take the 10, get of on pch then just head north? (and whats the best loop in your guys opinion?
    My favorite ride in the Santa Monica Mountains includes various trails. The ride I like starts at Moorpark Rd off the 101. Heading NB exit at Moorpark Rd and make a left turn go to the end of road and park in dirt lot at Los Robles trail head. I take Los Robles over past the visitor center and head on down the paved road to Sin Nombre and Two Foxes over to and up Guadalasco and down Backbone to Pt. Magu. eat rest and retrace route to car. This ride is like 50 miles mostly on singletrack and is great! I highly recommend it!

enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Backbone Access

If your coming from PCH you can access this section of Backbone trail from Corral Cyn. Take PCH to Corral Cyn. Rd.(there was a gas station on the corner, Union 76 I think) Go up corral Cyn until it dead ends at a dirt parking lot. This is the east end of the trail. The only way I know of to do loops involves dirt/pavement roads so I usually just do an out-n-back on the singltrack.

Neg reppers r my biatches

My choice....

Not quite sure if this is technically the Santa Monica Mountains but my favorite "area" to mountain bike is in a place called Cheseboro. The Cheseboro offramp is just one offramp South of Kanan.

Cheseboro is a very large area with numerous trails to please all levels. There are maps available by the parking lot and it is very easy to navigate. The scenery is beautiful and I have yet to find an area that has more diversity. There are beginner trails which are just fireroad, steep rock fireroad climbs and singletracks for all levels. Perhaps the most fun are a trail many call gas-pipe, dead-cow (or China Flats), and Suicide.

I highly recommend this area since there will be many more options than most places. However, the ride starting at the third tunnel on Kanan is one of the best.......it is just that you are pretty committed to the one route which is great of course, but not if it is not what you are looking for.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Cheseboro is a very large area with numerous trails to please all levels. There are maps available by the parking lot and it is very easy to navigate. The scenery is beautiful and I have yet to find an area that has more diversity. There are beginner trails which are just fireroad, steep rock fireroad climbs and singletracks for all levels. Perhaps the most fun are a trail many call gas-pipe, dead-cow (or China Flats), and Suicide.
    Cheers
    Suicide is one of my favorite trails too. Definitely a lot of fun and a great finisher.