mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best lube for SoCa riding

OK,

Here it is. Over the past 3 years, I have tried the following lubes

1) Pedros Dry
    2) White Lightning
    3) Finish Line Dry

GBack in the midwest, I settled w/ the Finishline lube because it felt like it kept my chain/drive train in proper order on long rides (2-4 hours). Now, since moving to SoCa last year, I continue to the Finishline stuff. Again, it seems to work great but one issue I have noticed. After riding on dry, dusty, singletrack, the chain gets dirty fast. So, I clean the chain and lube after every ride. Is that excessive? What do you guys use and why? I was thinking about going back and trying the White Lightning. It didn''t seem as smooth as the Finishline, but, even after 3 to 4 hour rides, it wouldn't get dirty. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you have to ask...

You are correct, sir.

White Lightning is the call. All of the other so-called dry lubes I have tried attract the fine powdery dust we have here like nobody's business. Except, that is, Pedros Ice Wax. That runs so clean it even removes itself from chains with a few miles.

Miles
    It's 7:09 California time

Just Grin and HUCK it...

I use White Lightning too...

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Shoo Pork
    OK,

Here it is. Over the past 3 years, I have tried the following lubes

1) Pedros Dry
    2) White Lightning
    3) Finish Line Dry

GBack in the midwest, I settled w/ the Finishline lube because it felt like it kept my chain/drive train in proper order on long rides (2-4 hours). Now, since moving to SoCa last year, I continue to the Finishline stuff. Again, it seems to work great but one issue I have noticed. After riding on dry, dusty, singletrack, the chain gets dirty fast. So, I clean the chain and lube after every ride. Is that excessive? What do you guys use and why? I was thinking about going back and trying the White Lightning. It didn''t seem as smooth as the Finishline, but, even after 3 to 4 hour rides, it wouldn't get dirty. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I used to use Pro-link and found that it works well, but you have to clean the chain often. Gets real dirty after riding the dusty SoCal trails. I would rather ride than have to clean the chain constantly. So my BIL (brother in law) suggested that I try White Lightning. He said that he never cleans his chain, only re-applies the lightening before riding. Well, so far so good. I've been using the White Lightning for about 2 months, only cleaned my chain like 1 time during this period. The stuff works great!

The only thing about White Lightning is that it will wash off in wet conditions. Before riding, I wipe down the chain with a shop rag and re-apply WL on the chain for only 2-3 revolutions of the chain. No need to put any more than that. I'm sold on it.
    MCM# 2007.1

members only

Yup, WL

I've tried a bunch, tho a lot do lubricate better, in summer the dust out here makes a dirty chain.
    WL (Regular, not "race day") only lasts 10-15 miles but just re-apply & ride.
    I remove & completely clean chain about every 200 miles.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I've tried most lubes as well. Pedros ice wax stay's the cleanest by far, but as Miles mentions, it dosn't last very long, the limit, maybe 15 miles. I carry a small amount along and reapply if I remember. A little anal, I know, but s..t, everything else attracts too much dirt!

mtbr member

Good job!

I've used a lot of them, and use different lubes for summer than winter.

--I think Miles must have got a really good batch of Pedros Ice Wax...mine didn't even last one good ride and I think it's the worst lube I've ever tried. Some guys on the east coast swear by it, though...

--White Lightning -regular is good stuff and the only reason I don't use it now is that it does wash off instantly, even in one small semi-water crossing. Chais stay clean in dust and silt.

--Rock-n-Roll Gold is like White Lightning but better: it lasts longer, doesn't wash off as easily and works great. Also a "clean chain" lube, but not as dry as WL.

--Rock-n-Roll Extreme is my wet weather "dry lube"...I think it has some moly in it or something, but it is even more wash-off resistant. I don't use it in dusty conditions because it does attract dust.

--ProLink Gold is my lube of choice right now: it lasts, keeps the chain dry and is easy to use. I haven't had problems with it gunking up...after our Noble Canyon ride on Memorial Day, involving lots of silt, ash, dust and two water crossings I rode through, my chain was still lubed and not gunked up at all. I really like this product. After I lube the chain, I run it through a rag while wet, then lightly lube it again and let that dry in place...same technique I use with the WL and Rock-Gold.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

much like tires

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    I've used a lot of them, and use different lubes for summer than winter.

--I think Miles must have got a really good batch of Pedros Ice Wax...mine didn't even last one good ride and I think it's the worst lube I've ever tried. Some guys on the east coast swear by it, though...

--White Lightning -regular is good stuff and the only reason I don't use it now is that it does wash off instantly, even in one small semi-water crossing. Chais stay clean in dust and silt.

--Rock-n-Roll Gold is like White Lightning but better: it lasts longer, doesn't wash off as easily and works great. Also a "clean chain" lube, but not as dry as WL.

--Rock-n-Roll Extreme is my wet weather "dry lube"...I think it has some moly in it or something, but it is even more wash-off resistant. I don't use it in dusty conditions because it does attract dust.

--ProLink Gold is my lube of choice right now: it lasts, keeps the chain dry and is easy to use. I haven't had problems with it gunking up...after our Noble Canyon ride on Memorial Day, involving lots of silt, ash, dust and two water crossings I rode through, my chain was still lubed and not gunked up at all. I really like this product. After I lube the chain, I run it through a rag while wet, then lightly lube it again and let that dry in place...same technique I use with the WL and Rock-Gold.
    Lubes must be kindof personal.

I have been using White lightening for a long time now and find it's the one with the most longevity for "dry" rides. Yes, it washes off very easily if there is even a fog in the air but for all other typical So-CA conditions (and this includes Ventura County Moo Shoo) WL seems to work the best.

I tried Rock and Roll (can't recall which recipe though) for a stretch and absolutely hated it. I know it was their "dry" mix but it attracted a lot of crap and I don't think it kept the chain as lubed overall.

I've also tried Ice Wax and felt that it lasted 8 maybe 10 miles if you were lucky. Worst lube I've ever seen.

Finish line seems to work okay too but it's so viscous most of it misses the chain and lubes your garage floor.

YR

cask conditioned
    I've been using Dumonde Tech for the last couple years. It lasts 3-5 rides and is the quietest lube out there. Use sparingly and wipe the chain after the first ride. It lasts and lasts, is relatively dry and leaves an undetectable protective plastic coating on your chain after you've used it for a while. It's a bit hard to find and a bit pricey, but a small bottle lasts longer than cheaper lubes big bottles.

Ride lots...
    I have found "Tri-Flow Dry" to be the best lube for me. I tried "Finish Line Dry", but like YetiRider pointed out, you mostly lube the floor since it is so thin. I have only had "chain suck" 3 times, and all 3 came while using "Finish Line". "Pedro's Dry" also works well. I carry that in my CamelBak since the bottle it comes in is round and fits easily just about anywhere. The Tri-Flow Dry stays on through water and doesn't attract dust the same way other lubes I have used do.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pro-Link Gold

I might try White Lightning again. But, like amny of you said, " the stuff comes off when wet." I really try to avoid riding in wet conditions because of sol erosion. But, alot time you can't help it. I had a bad experience back in the midwest w/ a creek crossing and WL. It made the last 7 miles of singletrack feel like....well, you can imagine.

Regarind the Finishline Dry, I use the spray bottle. It focuses the stuff on the chain.

Ebasil, how long have you been using Pro-Link Gold? That is one of the I have not used yet. I might have to give that a shot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pro-Link Gold

I might try White Lightning again. But, like amny of you said, " the stuff comes off when wet." I really try to avoid riding in wet conditions because of soil erosion. But, alot time you can't help it. I had a bad experience back in the midwest w/ a creek crossing and WL. It made the last 7 miles of singletrack feel like....well, you can imagine.

Regarind the Finishline Dry, I use the spray bottle. It focuses the stuff on the chain.

Ebasil, how long have you been using Pro-Link Gold? That is one of the I have not used yet. I might have to give that a shot.

just along for the ride
    The stuff on new SRAM chains, its some trick grease, not oil or wax based and it lasts about 100 miles. I have a friend that duplicated the stuff with some cheveron red grease and a bit of solvent. Problem is you need to clean your chain then with a syringe inject the goop into every link then let it sit overnight so the solvent evaporates and just leaves the grease. But it lasts again about 100 miles and stays inside the link since its heavy. There is a reason construction equipment uses grease and not oil/wax on its chains.

members only
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    ... inject the goop into every link...
    That's a bit too anal

mtbr member
    Hmm, I think 6-9 months. It's been about 6 months that it's been exclusively on my singlespeed and boinger bike, and about 4 since I swapped my wife' second bike onto it. With hers on Rock-n-Roll gold and mine on Pro Link, and coming home after the same ride to clean and tune, I started to see the difference more clearly.

I've been getting it on sale at Performance and SuperGo.

Unshaven Yak

Boeshield T-9 is the best for dry conditions

Ive tried all of the above. I hate white lightning, can't get the stuff outta the bottle half the time. Did use Tri-flow for years, still decent stuff.

Didn't like the dry Tri-flow version though, could hear my drivetrain scratching metal on metal.

Do like Boeshield T-9 very much. It can be put on moments before a ride & nothing sticks to it. My rings chain & cogs are totally clean & I havent had to clean them in months. The dirt only sticks to the pully wheels of the derailer & I just wipe that off every few weeks. I apply it every ride to every other ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I totally agree. I have used Tri-Flow, WL, Dumonde Tech, Rock and Roll, and Pro Gold. Pro Gold is the best lube I have used by far except Rock and Roll is a close second. I have used Rock and Roll and Pro Gold exclusively for the past year in Arizona and California. Pro Gold shifts smoother and keeps the drivetrain cleaner than any I have used. I enjoy the benefit of extended drivetrain life with Pro Gold especially in race conditions. I race the 24 hours of Adrenaline series and have to say my team mates have switched since I put it on their rides at the last race. If you have any questions please let me know.

mtbr member
    Coming on a whole season, now. I have to say, I'm still surprised how well it works and how clean the chain is after a ride. Oh, my chain can be coated in dust after an evening ride, but it wipes right off, the cogs do, too, and the chain is still "lubed". It's on sale again at Performance right now, according to the 3 flyers I got last week.

mtbr member
    Another vote for White Lightning.

Good stuff for our dry conditions. Doesn't attract all that dry trail dust.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

Not a regular
    Jan 2004

ProGold ProLink

ProGold's Pro Link has been my choice for 1+ years. There's a good review of it by Lennard Zinn http://www.progoldmfr.com/reviews.html#velo where he even claims in lengthens the life of a chain.

Another fantastic use I've found - brass rollers on the windows in my house. After 4 years, the windows took a herculean effort to open. I removed the windows, lubed the brass rollers and the pins with Pro Link and the difference is amazing - one finger to open! By comparison, I used Sh-i-man-oe lube on one window and it barely made a difference from the hard-to-open state.

Samsonite Tester
    Redundant info; Only two lubes I can recomend. Best Pro Link then White lightning.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member

Updated response on ProLink

I think I rang in, above, for ProLink lube, and just returned from Mammoth, Calif., where the trails and weather offered something different than my usual adobe soils, sand and etc...including rain. Mammoth offered extremely dry conditions, abrasive pumice soil and then rain, which I rode through on my SS and immediately afterward on my boing-boing, through stream crossings.

ProLink passes with an A, again. Excellent lubing, very, very little dirt on the chain (this must be the Ultimate lube for Mammoth) and it's still lubed on both chains after the rains, mild mud and stream crossings. This was a "big test" for me, because White Lightning was about perfect for Mammoth, to me, so I was interested to see how ProLink performed. Way better. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Use oil

I just turned 3000 miles (still only .4% stretched on my park chain checker) on a PC-59 chain used on a bike where the steepest hill I climb is only in the middle ring. For steep mountain rides in the granny I get 1200-1500 miles on my chains. I weight 210-220.

I currently use a 50-50 mix of 30wt motor oil and 90wt gear oil. This lube lasts about 150 to 200 miles between applications. I clean my chain about every 500 miles. When I lube the chain, I wipe it down afterward to remove the excess to minimize the amount of dirt it collects. I clean the chain on the bike with a scrub brush with warm water and simple green.

I’ve tried White Lightning and Krytech (sp?) and aside from being very expensive, messy, hard to clean, and gone after 1 ride, my chains would never last more than 1200 miles. Oil is a much better lubricant than wax.

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    I like white lightening because it keeps that chain real clean but got to carry a bottle with you and re-lube every 10-15 miles in dry conditions, forget it when there's water involved. So I always go back to finish line cross country, because although it gets a little gummed up, at least it stays on for a few miles. I'd rather use that and clean more often than carry a bottle of lube with me. Just got some prolink gold, haven't tried it yet. I have a pedros dry and it's the wettest lube I own, like a bottle of motor oil and doesn't last long, don't recommend for dusty conditions.

Knomer
    I can't believe that nobody has mentioned ATB(absolutely the best)chain lube. This stuff runs cleaner than pro-link and doens't leave wax boulders like WL or Pedro's.

Czech it out.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Old school BMXer
    50/50 mix of synthetic 5w/20 motor oil and kerosene. It's cheap, I give lots to my friends, it lasts, it lasts in wet conditions.

Downsides: you do have to clean now and then (relubing and wiping off the chain works for a long time), and the kerosene does smell bad.

Did I make it clear that it lasts? After using this, I now fill up all of my old dry-lube bottles (because that stuff evaporates if you don't use it). The key to success with this stuff is to use it sparingly, since it doesn't take much to work well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast