Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best Or Favorite Shop In Or Around San Diego County

What shop do you guys like the best and why?

I started ridding a few months ago and have visited a crap load of stores from Temecula down to San Diego. So far Bike Bling In Escondido has been my favorite because they have a good selection and seem to cater more towards Mountain instead of Road. Any shops to stay away from?

mtbr member
    North of the Border... Top of the line service, lots of knowledge and experience, and easy going. Mike has built me wheels that haven't needed to be trued for 2yrs now... not a lot of inventory but if you stop by there and check em out you'll know why they're good.

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by ifouiripilay
    North of the Border... Top of the line service, lots of knowledge and experience, and easy going. Mike has built me wheels that haven't needed to be trued for 2yrs now... not a lot of inventory but if you stop by there and check em out you'll know why they're good.
    Michael and Doug at North of the Border can get you anything you need and are good people too. Long drive from Jamul where I live though so I don't see them as often as I would like.

mtbr member
    IMO Bike Bling is the best for mountain I've been to, but I haven't been to North of the Border.

mtbr member
    Doug from North of the Border gave me a great deal on a 2010 5 Spot so I was happy with that. Nice guy too.

Bike Bling has all the "bling" that's for sure and I'll go there if I need something to make a ride.

Zumwat's is my shop though. Todd takes great care of his customers and always has cold beer in the fridge. He'll also take your bike at the end of a shop ride and bring it back tuned up for the next ride if needed. It's a cool place to hang out and BS as well.
    "The Jeep is America's only real sports car"
    Enzo Ferrari

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    North of the Border, the only shop I will go to in SD.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I prefer Cal Coast. Great people and great service.

Only need One
    AA 'nuff said

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorep
    Zumwat's is my shop though. Todd takes great care of his customers and always has cold beer in the fridge. He'll also take your bike at the end of a shop ride and bring it back tuned up for the next ride if needed. It's a cool place to hang out and BS as well.
    +1.....

Naturally Organic

Just One?

Lefty Issues: Big Ring Cycles or CycoPath
    Test Bike Selection: Black Mountain Bicycles
    Components: Bike Bling
    Bike Service: Bike Bling or Bicycle Warehouse
    Best Wrench: Brent of Bike Bling or Tom of Bicycle Warehouse
    Customer Service: Depends on time of day, day of week and what I am looking for...
    Overall: Will wait to check out NOTB & Cal Bikes...(currently, I am able to recommend Bike Bling the most...locally & online sales...)

Notes:
    I have been to:
    Bicycle Warehouse (Vista & Escondido): V is nice & big, E is smaller & just opened, but has Tom who is knowledgeable, friendly & fun to chat with.
    Big Ring Cycles (La Mesa): Small store, Joe knows Lefties! BRC put a Lefty on a Pivot (hawt)...family LBS, looking forward to BRC taking care of my Lefty (hopefully not too often)
    Bike Bling (Escondido): Small storefront, huge online inventory (a lot in store, also) & good pricing; Brent is a wrench that comes highly recommended for his knowledge & service.
    Black Mountain Bicycles (Mira Mesa): Huge store, huge selection, huge inventory...in a good way. Longevity in the LBS world goes a long way in my book.
    CycoPath (Temecula): Loren is knowledgeable & friendly. They are moving and have some great deals. I wish I liked Medium bikes!!! They work on Lefties!
    Performance Bicycle Shops (Vista): Huge store, huge selection, huge inventory...but more in a Wal-Mart way...not a fan of the Wally World Way...whatever gets you riding, tho...
    Trek Superstore (Vista): If you like Trek & Gary Fisher Bikes or Bontrager Components, this is the place. Huge.
    Zumwalt's (College Area): Nice shop. The owner built up the shop to legend status, sold it, it went south, bought it back, and now with his son is trying to resurrect it from the fiery ashes...fun story line. I like the selection. I hope they get Specialized back in. Knowledgeable & friendly.

I have not been, but look forward to checking out: North of the Border (Sorrento Valley) & Cal Bikes (La Jolla)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    North of the Border

Excellent service and great mechanic.

mtbr member
    ITSA bike shop in Pt. Loma. Can't beat the customer service. Period. Not the largest selection but they can order just about anything. Check them out....their fairly new in town but Eric(owner) has been in the industry for years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rider151
    ITSA bike shop in Pt. Loma. Can't beat the customer service. Period. Not the largest selection but they can order just about anything. Check them out....their fairly new in town but Eric(owner) has been in the industry for years.
    You might as well just buy off the net in that case, youll probably get a better deal. When I lived in WA there was a dive shop I went to a few times. Every time I asked about something it was always "We can order it." I took my business elsewhere.
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you are new to mountain biking you may be surprised when you go to some of the really small shops that others have mentioned above and pretty much EVERYTHING that you are interested in must be ordered and delivered. Just preparing you for that because it's not like going to typical retail, don't get bummed out by that as you still get the same parts from these small shops and you usually get excellent service.

If you have to have something right away or you want to see it and touch it before making a decision then check with a larger shop or a shop that does a large internet business.

You should check out as many places as you can to inform your own opinion, but if you stick with this sport and get deeper in you'll likely settle on the more custom oriented shops.

mtbr member

We the people ... @Fallout

@Fallout....How do you think small business gets off the ground? People have to patronize them in order for them to grow. Not every shop (I'd venture that less than 95%) can start out as a huge shop with giant amounts of inventory. You chose to take your business elsewhere (which is fine....this is America after all) but instead of giving that little "dive shop" your hard earned money which would in turn have allowed them to grow and gain inventory you have chosen to spend your money and invest in giant internet companies. These companies can beat the little guys prices because they can purchase giant quantities from suppliers and get incur insanely low costs. Smart business practice but it kills all of the little start up shops that WOULD have the inventory and prices you are looking for if they had more capital to invest.

Personally, I would rather have order my stuff though a shop than straight off the internet for a few reasons. A) I get to support the local economy B) I get excellent service on the off chance that I need a tool I don't have or encounter something I haven't seen before C) I get excellent representation with warranty issues because the shop can go directly through their rep or straight to the company with 99% of all issues D) It helps the shop grow and gain inventory which in turn allows me to avoid the internet entirely. It may cost a little more but than the internet but it is 100% worth it.

In closing SUPPORT YOUR LBS! See the big picture now? Rant off....now back to the thread......

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Bike Empire

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    @Fallout....How do you think small business gets off the ground? People have to patronize them in order for them to grow. Not every shop (I'd venture that less than 95%) can start out as a huge shop with giant amounts of inventory. You chose to take your business elsewhere (which is fine....this is America after all) but instead of giving that little "dive shop" your hard earned money which would in turn have allowed them to grow and gain inventory you have chosen to spend your money and invest in giant internet companies. These companies can beat the little guys prices because they can purchase giant quantities from suppliers and get incur insanely low costs. Smart business practice but it kills all of the little start up shops that WOULD have the inventory and prices you are looking for if they had more capital to invest..
    The dive shop in mention is a chain of 8 stores that have forced everyone around them to almost give away scuba lessons and force other stores to bring in low-end gear which doesn't like to perform very well in 55* water. Why they don't stock their stores is beyond me because I know for a fact that they had the money.

Personally, I would rather have order my stuff though a shop than straight off the internet for a few reasons. A) I get to support the local economy B) I get excellent service on the off chance that I need a tool I don't have or encounter something I haven't seen before C) I get excellent representation with warranty issues because the shop can go directly through their rep or straight to the company with 99% of all issues D) It helps the shop grow and gain inventory which in turn allows me to avoid the internet entirely. It may cost a little more but than the internet but it is 100% worth it.
    I understand the point of your post but if a shop has to order 75% of things I need that aren't small maintenance pieces, i.e. helmets in my size or clothing or even stuff like pedals, bike pumps or tires then it no longer seems worth it.
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

mtbr member
    @Fallout......fair enough. To each their own. After your explanation I think were comparing apples to oranges though.....

used to be uno-speedo....
    For inventory Bike Bling. For a top wheel builder (and working on your bike) Chuck at Pacific Coast Cycles. For a good mechanic Gordon at B&L Solana Beach. For beer Velo Cult.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Zumwalts used to me my shop too, untill it was sold. Now I go to ITSA where Eric works, he is a good mechanic and has tons of experience.

Yeah, he doesn't have a lot of inventory so he has to order a lot of things. He does price match and in a few cases beat out chainreaction on a few things. I got a friend that did a large parts order and she got it in less 3-4 days.

mtbr member
    North of the Border because Doug and Mike are great guys, but their inventory is pretty small. I did order my Tracer from them. Bike Bling for inventory. Good guys there as well, but not the same level of personal service.

mtbr member
    Another recommendation for North Of The Border Bikes. Mike and Doug provide consistent and dependable customer service. Both of them are very knowledgable as to which products work well, reliability, durability, longetvity and cost vs function. I trust their experienced advice and I appreciate that I do not get the upsell treatment. They are more focused on building a long term relationship with their customers. This has value.
    As a previous owner of a small Mountain/hiking shop I know firsthand that you cannot have every product that a customer may want when they come in to the shop and the cost of attempting to carry that type of inventory is burdensome. NOTB carries a more selective inventory based on what products/brands they know are tried and true. Kind of lean and mean...and if i do need something that they do not have, they will get it and for a good price.
    In more general terms I hope there is a backlash against major dept stores and chains. These type of businesses homogenize what is available on the market and leave little room for new products and brands to grow. They eliminate diversity...Support Local Business. What do large chains put back into your local riding??
    life is steeper than it looks

SoCal mtbr
    I've been to Cal Coast and they are all cool guys there but the prices are pretty steep on accessories and bikes.

North of the Border Bikes for service and parts Doug and Mike are really cool guys, Mike built me an awesome set of wheels that have been trouble free at a great price. They don't carry much in the shop but are more than happy to order and price match (sometimes even beat the price) on whatever you need. I would have bought my bike from them if they carried the brand I wanted but I do bring my bikes there for service because it always comes back shifting smooth and riding nice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    +1 on NOTB. Been there once and chatted with Doug, he gave me great advice about my bike and gave me recommendations to save money. Shop was pretty small, but Doug said he can order anything I wanted for a good price. They carry a couple Turner and intense bikes to demo. I also like the guys down at California Bicycles in La Jolla, family owned and operated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

North of the Border !

Mike and Doug have experience, skillz, and integrity. That trumps sheer inventory every time, in my book.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast