Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Neg reppers r my biatches

Best "After Rain" rides

Within Ventura and LA County, where are the best spots to ride shortly after a rain? In other words, which trails are not hampered much by rain and dry up pretty quick and/or have soil that does not get impacted too much?

I know a very local trail (Los Robles) does quite well but I want to do some better riding later this week if possible.

120 pounds of xc sex!

head to ...

the san gabriels! The trails are mostly excellent after the rains, because they are made of rock. check em out.
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Within Ventura and LA County, where are the best spots to ride shortly after a rain? In other words, which trails are not hampered much by rain and dry up pretty quick and/or have soil that does not get impacted too much?

I know a very local trail (Los Robles) does quite well but I want to do some better riding later this week if possible.
    Zuma Ridge (off Encinal Canyon) has hard-packed sand, not too sticky..
    Sullivan Canyon - all gravel but the water level depends on the rain.

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Zuma Ridge (off Encinal Canyon) has hard-packed sand, not too sticky..
    Just don't veer off onto Backbone. The mud will get inside all of your sealed bearings.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    Just don't veer off onto Backbone. The mud will get inside all of your sealed bearings.
    Sounds like the voice of experience

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    the san gabriels! The trails are mostly excellent after the rains, because they are made of rock. check em out.
    I'd have to agree with junkie. Mt Lowe, JPL, Chantry Flats(I heard the landslides are finally removed, but the trail has lots of overgrown poison oak), etc. The San Gabriels are made of granite instead of clay, so it drains better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks guys....boy do i feel dumb (or at least inexperienced).....I am not familiar with any of those named trails.

are these by any chance near Strawberry Peak? I have done that once and was thinking about going there again perhaps....

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    thanks guys....boy do i feel dumb (or at least inexperienced).....I am not familiar with any of those named trails.

are these by any chance near Strawberry Peak? I have done that once and was thinking about going there again perhaps....
    If you're heading to Strawberry, you should consider Chilao. Does well after and during rains.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Just Ride!
    I second Sullivan. I know it's not that exciting if you stick to the fire roads and some singletrack but I just love the smell of that place after it rains. Sooo fresh...

Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    If you're heading to Strawberry, you should consider Chilao. Does well after and during rains.
    thanks beyotch.....so is that a better/more fun ride than Strawberry Peak? Would Strawberry Peak hold up well to rain also since it is in the same relative area?

mtbr member
    XC course in Southridge, Fontana and Sycamore Canyon Park in Riverside drain very well after the rains. check them out.

Over the Hill

FoSizzle

You are missing some excellent trails on Mt. Wilson. The best map I have found of Mt. Wilson.

http://www.tomharrisonmaps.com/online%20order.html

Winter Creek, Sam Merrill, Sunset, Idelehour, Wilson Trail, Echo Mountain, and Stuartevant are all great singletracts, plus there are two major fireroad climbs, Lowe Mountain Fireroad, and Mt Wilson Toll road.

Then you have Ken Burton and El Prieto off Brown Mountain.

Also try Mt. Waterman before it snows, it is my personnel favorite in the San Gabriel’s.
    Last edited by dstepper; 11-09-2005 at 08:36 PM.

wow! fantastic! thing is i am probably going solo Saturday and at least know the way on strawberry peak from the one time i went......but may consider these if they seem easy enough to navigate.

thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    It wouldn't happen. After a rain the clear views from the top of Zuma are great and you get a needed workout after being indoors.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo90802
    I'd have to agree with junkie. Mt Lowe, JPL, Chantry Flats(I heard the landslides are finally removed, but the trail has lots of overgrown poison oak), etc. The San Gabriels are made of granite instead of clay, so it drains better.
    Hanzo90802,

What trail is this picture from?
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Over the Hill
    The trails in the San Gabriel's seem to be well marked. I do almost all of my rides alone. If I am not getting lost or bushwhacked the trail is too easy.

Always be carefully in the mountains during rainy season those little washes and canyons that seemed like nothing, turn into impassable torrents fast. You never know how hard it may be raining further up the mountain. I’m thinkin I am staying out of Cloud Burst Canyon during the rain.
    Last edited by dstepper; 11-10-2005 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling error

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    Hanzo90802,

What trail is this picture from?
    It about a half mile down middle Sam Merrill. The penalty for failure is high.

120 pounds of xc sex!

hey..

anyone have a map of their favorite loop in the san gabriels? snow is gonna come soon!
    Last edited by carbnjunkie; 11-10-2005 at 03:17 PM. Reason: ccccccccccoooooooooooffffffffffffffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

mp3
    just ride

Photos, Map, Profile and directions for Strawberry

Here
    I'll be there on Saturday morning with friends on a fun ride (race season is over ) -- 8am in the Switzer parking lot.

can I join you?...in case I actually do not remember my way around.

now i remember parking literally at the intersection of Angeles Crest and Angeles Forest.....where exactly is Switzer in relation to that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    In Ventura County - there's the Los Robles Trail at the end of Moorpark Road (Thousand Oaks) that holds up really well in the rain. It's popular route when everything else is muddy.

mp3
    just ride

Switzer parking lot

Sure.
    It's a couple hundred yards past that intersection on the right. You can't miss it, it's the only right. Look for a good size group near the back of the parking lot. A couple will probably be wearing Warrior Society jerseys.

do you have a mix of riders in the group (ie, some expert, some intermed, etc.)?

i may not have my ideal bike available for the ride since i just realized i need new bushings for the shock and may not get them in time. I will be a little slower on the bike i would have to bring.

mp3
    just ride

Mix

Yeah a whole mix of gearys and SSers, a dirt diva too.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Middle Merril

Oh okay. I used to looking at that going the other way. Looks totally different from that angle. It's after you make the turn on to the chaparral side of the mountain but before the first big over look.

Decent exposure but not nearly as much as other spots on that trail. I'm thinking of that one really loose rocky section where the trail gets down to about a foot, foot and a half with a nice cliff on your left and a rock wall on the right. That's a fun section.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast