mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Bell Rung at Lake Hodges

Me and a friend were riding Hodges (south) on Wednesday afternoon, all by ourselves. Where the hell did you come from? Didn't feel like any bike crash I've ever been in. The head on collision felt more like a brick wall at 25 MPH. The only damage to my bike was a tire, and a ding on the wheel. Surprised when X-rays came back negative. My Sternum hurts from your helmet, I broke your handlebar riser with my hip, not sure what my knee did to you, but it's huge! My shoulder's wrecked, but at least it's not seperated like the other one. I'm 200 Lbs, How big a boy are you? Are you alright?
    How long you been here?

Certifiably Crazy
    Ouch! Hope you both feel better. Any pictures of the damage?
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about the crash.

Funny, you don't hear about many MTB'ers crashing into other MTBers very often. Maybe on San Juan there is the occasional one but that's the only place I ever seem to read of one. But then, you read some of the comments from hikers on sites like the Share the PCT page and you get the impression that every hiker on earth is getting run down by bikes constantly. But when you think of it, if even a few of their stories are true, there should be a much higher rate of bike on bike collisions because each bike is likely travelling faster than a hiker. But yet, bikes usually seem to be able to slow/stop and pull over in time.

mtbr member
    Was this a hit-n-run? Or did you both get knocked silly enough that you didn't stick around and chat?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Exactly, I needed to scram before parts started falling off my body. I actually did jump up and run around in circles (think Ridiculousness), the other victim just laid on the ground. We laughed about exchanging info, as it felt like a car accident. Yeah, no pics though, wasn't thinking about the historical value of it all.

Had some sorta close calls in the past, but nothing that really made me think this could happen.

When you ride a lot, I guess you have to accept the fact that accidents will happen. I seem to be on the 5 year epic crash/fall/collision rotation.
    How long you been here?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Oh geeze...at least you both were able to walk it off and laugh about it. Where at hodges did this happen? There's been a few times where guys have gotten extremely close when I'm working a climb, but luckily I stay as far over as possible. Definitely have knocked elbows a few times going opposite directions.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often at hodges. That place gets over crowded at certain times, and you really gotta pay attention. It's a good place to log some miles without venturing too far away from civilization, but i pretty much stopped going there altogether because of this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I agree, Hodges can get very busy on the weekends. If you get out early enough, it's usually okay. Mid week, it's fairly quiet out there.

So we were near the community center, just over the bridge heading toward the waterfall.
    How long you been here?

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    My only head on crash was at Hodges. It was on the upper single track just after the big dirt mound on that blind corner close to where the power line crosses the lake. It was on July 4th. I was going about 18mph so I was hauling ass. I went around the corner ringing my bell but the other rider was inexperienced and in a panic he crossed the trail instead of just staying straight. I plowed my face into his shoulder and split my upper lip wide open. Ended up with 13 stictches. I was bleeding so badly I did not stick around. He had friends with him to help him and he was hurt but not too bad. Learned my lesson though. I take that corner much slower now.

I am suprised you had your accident on the south side. Most of the trails there have pretty good sightlines. The ones on the north side past Hernandez have lots of blind corners though.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^