mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Beginner trails with rentals around Los Angeles/Santa Monica area?

My friend wants to get into mountain biking but i would prefer that we go on a trail around here this time. We drove all the way to snow summit today and he bonks behind the apartments... thats within 200ft of where we started. this was his idea. He said he would only ride at big bear.. so of course we go with his idea since im excited to finally have one of my friend go with me. But 2 hours of driving and the cost of gas lately is enough to make me cry when our total ride is less than an hour.

Are there any beginner trails around here that rents bikes? Maybe by PCH or so? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by boyRacer; 06-17-2004 at 09:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trails that rent bikes?

I'm guessing you mean bike stores that rent bikes near trails. I don't know of any within 200ft of any trails. I would suggest going to Venice beach and rent bikes there and ride the bike path. It's flat and pavement but it sounds like that may be all your buddy can handle. If you went to Snow Summit why didn't you take the lift up and just ride downhill?
    I usually take beginers to Sullivan Cyn, Malibu Creek St. Park or Sycamore Cyn. All are in the Santa Monica mtns. Keep pushing him and eventually he'll build up some climbing legs.

mtbr member
    Keep your friend at low altitudes, beginners don't have lungs either. He's lucky, if he didn't bonk he probably would have endo'ed on the down hill. Flat rides for beginners.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks guys... i'll check those recommendations out.

The thing is... he told me he's been running and working out a lot lately... and he says he can handle it so hey no problem right...

We got halfway up grand view loop... and he wanted to turn around... which was basically all downhill after that... and he still ended up walking it. I'm no expert either but by the way he was talking it seemed like he was much more fit than i was.

Looks like I'm going solo with my own little hobby again...

mtbr member
    Sullivan Canyon is a good and pretty beginners' trail.

It's a gradual climb, but anyone in decent fitness should be able to make it with some rest stops here and there. There is plenty of shade so they won't overheat.

Dirt Mulholland is also a good beginners' trail. A nice rolling terrain trail but no shade.

Palos Verdes, south of Santa Monica on the 405 fwy, has a nice beginners section too.