mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Beginner Trails?

Hello everybody,
    I was curious is anyone knows of any beginner trails in so cal that I could take my girlfriend on. She has never been mountain biking before and I would like her to have a chance to ease into it in terms of trail difficulty. Thanks for any help you can give...

mechmann_mtb
    santa rosa plateau near temecula/murrieta

lake hodges (north side)

big laguna for when she starts to get the hang of things. (you can always walk the tough stuff)

the biggest thing to remember is to be patient and encouraging. if you start getting angry neither of you will enjoy it.

mtbr member
    There are plenty of "beginner trails": Fullerton Loop, JPL creekbed, the lower portion of Marshall Canyon, Puddingstone... But those are are around here. You don't tell us where YOU are.

And why do you have to ask, are you a beginner too? That's okay. Just find any reasonably-sized park and start pedaling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trmcnulty
    Hello everybody,
    I was curious is anyone knows of any beginner trails in so cal that I could take my girlfriend on. She has never been mountain biking before and I would like her to have a chance to ease into it in terms of trail difficulty. Thanks for any help you can give...
    If you're in LA or Ventura, Pt Mugu/Sycamore canyon is great for beginers. The main fire road is mellow and the scenery is nice. There are a some paralell single tracks as well if she's feeling more adventurous. Best of all, if you start from the beach side, the main fireroad is up hill (gently) all the way out. That way, she can go as far as she can, and when she gets tired she can pretty much coast all the way back.

The first parts of Chesebro canyon are also good beginner trails. Like the above, they are all uphill on the way out, so you can coast downhill on the way back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the replies folks, I will have to do a little more research on these trails. I am trying to avoid any frustration in teaching her so that we can have fun, just as mechmann described. I thought this would be a good place to get some info.
    I live in Los Angeles, as my profile says, and I have been riding since I got my first mountain bike when I was 14. I am simply new to the area and have only been to a handful of trails here thus far and I would not at all feel comfortable taking her on them.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies folks, I will have to do a little more research on these trails. I am trying to avoid any frustration in teaching her so that we can have fun, just as mechmann described. I thought this would be a good place to get some info.
    I live in Los Angeles, as my profile says, and I have been riding since I got my first mountain bike when I was 14. I am simply new to the area and have only been to a handful of trails here thus far and I would not at all feel comfortable taking her on them.
    Point Mugu (Sycamore Canyon) from PCH. Miles of easy trails, climbs for when she wants to try.

PS LA is a big area. Just driving around can be an epic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This is a great resource:

http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T.../MapsHome.html

It provides descriptions of most of the trails in the north LA/Ventura areas, including their suitablity for various skill levels. I started riding 3 years and found it very helpful.