mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Beginner MTB trails near Ladera Ranch?

Hi,

Just picked up my first FS bike ('07 GT i-drive 4 2.0) and was looking for some suggestions on beginner level trails I can take it out to. I've ridden three times now. I rode Aliso Woods and some of the trails were probably beyond my skill level at the moment, so I was hoping to get out to some easier trails where I can get more comfortable with riding.

Thanks a lot in advance!

ali'i hua
    aliso's one of the best places to start. you're now extremely limited due to the recent fires. other local choices include el moro for the moment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Peter's canyon. Easy but not too easy. There is only one big climb, the rest are ups and downs some of which you can go very fast on. Some switch backs to practice on. Nice place to learn and do some easy riding. I only fell twice, both times because of a super hot hottie distracting me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Take about a 45min drive south and east to Daley Ranch in Escondido. Good mix of fire road and some single track. It is a good place for a beginner.

Check out www.mountainbikebill.com for a list of trails in OC and SD

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think Aliso and El Moro is easy in the canyons. But if you don't have the legs and lungs yet, don't go to the ridges.
    If you just want to get in shape and gain some miles and confidence, just ride through lower Santiago Oaks, Irvine Park and Peters Canyon. You can park at the Albertson's on Chapman and Jamboree. Lower Santiago Oaks and Irvine Park are pretty much flat.
    This is not the most exciting ride or view, but it is still dirt.

Have fun!! It is a great way to see things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The tijeras creek area is pretty cool. Good singletrack, not to much elevation

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I definitely look forward to gettingout there and riding as much as I can, time and weather permitting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just drop into Oneil/Tijeras creek by the Cox sports park for riding without driving.
    You can ride all the way up to rancho santa margarita and back. Some nice singletrack once you get past Oso.
    There is supposedly an easy fireroad ridge trail from wagon wheel sports park towards ortega, but I haven't tried it yet.
    You can also check out socaltrailriders.org for newbie rides too.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    There are some great beginner rides around Ladera. I agree with the Arroyo and Tijeras loops. You may also try the many trails in Caspers Wilderness Park. There are some big climbs but almost all are on wide open fire roads. A good place to get your mountain legs. We often refer to the area as the "mini" main divide.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

Recovering Weight Weenie
    If you stay on the lower and upper ridges at Aliso, things should be fine for you guys. That's my preferred beginner spot. Here in Ladera, there ain't much. Tijeras creek is an option, but there is almost zero climbing and I always get lost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Register and log into this site for information on all the trails listed in this thread: http://www.geoladders.com. There are several easy routes in an nearby Ladera Ranch.