Floater

Bee swarms and rattlers

On my lunch time ride today, I rode through large bee swarm. I hate that! Bee swarms scare me more than rattlers or mountain lions. I rode out of the bee swarm and was thinking about how warm it was and how I'd hate to come flying around the corner of this single track and come across a rattler of any size. Just thinking about it, I slowed a little and there it was...
    Missing link rattler 040207rs.jpg
    A big old rattler. It was quicker than my camera, but you can still see it. So Missing Link was fun today, a little adventure for a lunch ride.

Fueled by Wahoo's
    Nice shot...gorgeous colors. I just saw one last weekend at Aliso Woods. Saw it just in time to bunny-hop over it.

Now... harder to kill.
    Nice looking critter. I found three on Caballero yesterday.
    "My Life is violent, but violence is life" - Ice T

WANTED: A 20" Yeti frameset

MNmtbkr
    Holy Shinikeys!!!! I'm sure glad I don't have to worry about that jumping out at me way up here in MN.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Yep, welcome to rattler season here in SoCal! Almost rolled over a bee swarm yesterday on the road bike....
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Moved out to AZ (from OC) 3 years ago. I haven't really seen too many rattlers out here (or at least as many as you'd expect) until an after-work run late last spring. 5 big, angry rattlers during one trail run... Freaked me out a little...

I think I saw more snakes while living out in OC. Definitely lots of 'em while riding Aliso. Saw one at the beginning of Holy Jim. He was quietly resting by my feet (about 2' away) as I stepped off the bike to do the first hike-a-bike. Wouldn't have seen him if he didn't crackle a few leaves as he slithered away...
    Can you hear me now?

Old school BMXer
    I am not too concerned with the rattlers I can see, it's the ones I don't that scare the crap out of me.

Goes something like this...
    "Did you see that rattler next to that rock beside the trail?"

Me - "uh.....no."
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I found a big rattler out at rocky peak last week, bees are the worst, especially the ones that live in nests under the ground, there are 2 separate occasions where my friends have been attaked by them by accidentaly digging into the nests while building.

Glad to Be Alive
    nice colors and looks thick too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc
    ..., bees are the worst, especially the ones that live in nests under the ground, there are 2 separate occasions where my friends have been attaked by them by accidentaly digging into the nests while building.
    Those might be yellow jackets, not bees. Some folks call them "meat bees". We've got 'em in Norcal, and they are aggressive. They build nests in ground squirrel burrows and gopher tunnels. They can bite as well as sting.

Floater
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Those might be yellow jackets, not bees. Some folks call them "meat bees". We've got 'em in Norcal, and they are aggressive. They build nests in ground squirrel burrows and gopher tunnels. They can bite as well as sting.
    We do have yellow jackets, but we've got those "killer bees" out here too. One of the behavior traits of the "killer bees" in SoCal is that they will build a hive in the ground. Here at work, I've seen them build hives in the landscaping irrigation boxes in the ground. A lot of the honey bees in this area have cross bred with the Africanized strain. These bees are really aggressive. Here at work, I was showing our bee man a hive next to our parking lot. The bees got upset and came at us. We took off in my electric cart. The bee man got stung 6 times, I didn't get any stings. We had gotten about 200 yards away from the hive and we still had a few bees after us. Thats why I hate to come across bee swarms.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Floater
    We do have yellow jackets, but we've got those "killer bees" out here too. One of the behavior traits of the "killer bees" in SoCal is that they will build a hive in the ground. Here at work, I've seen them build hives in the landscaping irrigation boxes in the ground. A lot of the honey bees in this area have cross bred with the Africanized strain. These bees are really aggressive. Here at work, I was showing our bee man a hive next to our parking lot. The bees got upset and came at us. We took off in my electric cart. The bee man got stung 6 times, I didn't get any stings. We had gotten about 200 yards away from the hive and we still had a few bees after us. Thats why I hate to come across bee swarms.
    Damn! Good to know, in a bad sort of way. We haven't got the africanized bees up in the central coast. I seem to remember reading that even the hybrids sort of fizzled out north of Bakersfield / Paso Robles, as they couldn't handle the colder winters.

Trying a little
    ground bee burrows. near cheeseborough canyon trail.
    these are not bees who pick a pre-dug hole to live in, these are ground bees and they swarm on the ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Now... harder to kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Meat Bees? Damn, I met a swarm of wasps about a year ago that I'd call Meat Bees. I was at an outdoor suicide where a girl hung herself on a construction scaffold. When FD tried to cut the body down, they found a swarm of wasps had claimed it and they attacked us with a passion... As if they were protecting their new meat source! We finally had to bracket the nest with two CO2 extinguishers as the FD guys cut her down and then quickly pulled the body away. Very surreal.

We all got stung a few times that day.
    "My Life is violent, but violence is life" - Ice T

WANTED: A 20" Yeti frameset

Samsonite Tester
    Yellow jackets are in SoCal.

Dusthuffer may have photoed a wasp nest.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    ground bee burrows. near cheeseborough canyon trail.
    these are not bees who pick a pre-dug hole to live in, these are ground bees and they swarm on the ground.
    Digger Bees !
    http://www.everythingabout.net/artic...es/digger_bee/
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    Yellow jackets are in SoCal.

Dusthuffer may have photoed a wasp nest.
    Those aren't wasp nests! True, there are yellow jackets in SoCal, and they do nest in the ground - and all hell will break loose if you disturb them! They are very aggressive about protecting their nest and will sting you many, many times. But Dusthuffer's photo is of ground-nesting bees who build individual nests in a colony, and my experience with them in Palo Comado and Cheeseboro Canyons is that they are not aggressive. I can't say that they won't sting, but we regularly rode right through the group of nests with no problems.

_
    Mar 2004
    Did any of you guys do the Toads Festival last year? There were tons of bees at the top of Holy Jim where the gaming station was, it was seriously really bad. Some of the people working the event were wearing beekeeper masks/hoods. It seems like a few of the bees followed us or were still buzzing around us nearly a 1/4 mile away from the main concentration (right at the top of Holy Jim & Main Divide).

Mexican Food Enthusiast
    I came about a foot away from being bitten about 2 weeks ago at Turnbull Canyon. I was walking up the trail and almost stepped on a big angry rattler. It started trying to strike and was rattling loud. I seriously screamed like a 5 year old and jumped back like 10 feet in two steps. I still am freaked out about it and almost crashed trying to dodge a stick at Aliso last week.

Ya, right.
    Wow, I know it's hard to tell just from a photo, but that rattler looks friggn massive.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.