mtbr member

Beach for the Fam. Road riding for me where?

My family likes going to the beach, and lay in the sun. Ican't sit still that long and like to take my road or MTB with me and get some riding done.
    Please let me know if you have any suggestion where I could do that.
    I live in Murrieta.

Thanks
    http://www.caddesignwork.com/ where CAD Design and drafting happens.

Was that a Bobcat?
    PT. Mugu state park..... Beach across the street and MTB in the park or road ride the PCH. Here are some links:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=630
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4520crx.aspx

Hope this helps.

34N 118W

west side

Santa Monica / Venice.

Quote Originally Posted by Festusjrf
    My family likes going to the beach, and lay in the sun. Ican't sit still that long and like to take my road or MTB with me and get some riding done.
    Please let me know if you have any suggestion where I could do that.
    I live in Murrieta.
    Last edited by Hollywood; 04-27-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: misunderstood

mtbr member
    have them hang out around newport/laguna beach while you ride el moro/laguna coast or aliso woods

Floater
    Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer
    have them hang out around newport/laguna beach while you ride el moro/laguna coast or aliso woods
    I second that, lots of good laying around beaches with some great trails nearby
    BFI102805 001 rs.jpg
    Lower part of BFI

The weekend begins NOW...I'm going for a ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I third that, Laguna has great road and mtb riding close by. Just don't be fooled thinking that you'll escape the heat, by riding near the coast. Riding on PCH is cooler, but once you go inland, forget it, its still hot, maybe not Murrieta hot, but hot all the same.

I just moved to Murrieta, where in the he11 is the mtb riding, other than the plateau?

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff
    I just moved to Murrieta, where in the he11 is the mtb riding, other than the plateau?
    Thomas Mountain, Idllywild, San Juan and Noble. Not real close but worth the drive.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by amor587
    PT. Mugu state park..... Beach across the street and MTB in the park or road ride the PCH. Here are some links:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=630
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4520crx.aspx

Hope this helps.
    Lots of great mountain biking in the park - but there is also good road biking in the western Santa Monica mountains. From the beach, you could go down PCH, then up Mulholland for a nice climb (about 8 miles). There are lots of other possibilities, too, but that's one of my favorites.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

San Diego

San Diego has some good road rides along the coast, and is a little cooler than OC. Do a ride in the morning, then hit the beach for a swim.

Here's three good ones.

1) Ride around Mt. Soledad. Do a counterclockwise loop that takes in Rose Canyon up to UCSD, drop down past Scripps to La Jolla, along the coast past the Cove and Windansea to Bird Rock and Pacific Beach.

2) San Diego County north coast. Ride the old PCH. Start at UCSD or down south and connect to UCSD via Rose Canyon. Go north past Torrey Pines, through Del Mar, Cardiff, Encinitas, Leucadia, Carlsbad and Oceanside. Distance depends on where you start and turn around, but you can rack up an easy 30 or 40 miles along the coast. There are some good coffee and pastries in Del Mar, taquerias in Encinitas, funky little shops and fabulous views the whole way. Stop at Swami's and check out the waves. Save some energy for the climb up Torrey Pines grade on the way south.

3) Do a loop out to Point Loma. Take in the old lighthouse, drop down to the tip to see the new one and add 400 feet of climbing to get back up. Drop down to Sunset Cliffs or the harbor side if you want to stretch it out. Take a map if you do either, unless you know San Diego really well.
    Last edited by HarryCallahan; 04-27-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Just another Homer
    Coming from Murrieta, would make the Santa Monicas a little to far if you ask me. Doheny has some great road riding along the beach and you can ride for miles. Those hills in Laguna are real fun. And of course Crystal Cove hills are fun too.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

just along for the ride

Its a bit north of you

But Morro Bay beach is a ride onto itself
    Attached Images Attached Images

Floater
    Back to Crystal Cove, if you wait 'til after a few winter storms (not like this past winter), when all the sand gets washed away, you can ride this...
    resized RDAYCC0105rocks.jpg