mtbr member

Battered & broken by the Fully Loop 4/25/07!

___Disclaimer___kind of long story!

OK, so last Wednesday night, I’m out for a casual ride with Jeana, Jen and Jon on the Fully loop. It was a great night that was to be followed with some great stir-fry cooking @ Jen & Jeana’s place. We’re all riding along, talking and having a great time. The Loop is like a playground, b/c it’s so non-technical and fun to ride, which allows you let your guard down and not worry about drops, huge ruts, boulders, pee-gravel or etc, as is the case with some other trails throughout OC.
    Can you anticipate what’s coming in this story?

OK, so I’m riding in my usually manner on the Monocog 29r, doing jumps, taking the berms, and doing wheelies often. So I attempt a wheelie on one of the trails that runs along side of the road (not sure which road), but unfortunately go too far and land straight on my back…Ouch! My shoes locked in my pedals and I couldn’t get them out before I went over and it also happened so fast, I didn’t hit the back brake in time to put the front wheel back on the ground. So there I lay for a few seconds, not able to breath as my friends are running up and asking me if I’m ok….damn I felt stupid.
    I finally catch my breath, stand up and tell my friends what an idiot I am and we have a laugh. My back is pretty sore at this point, but I’m not about to let a silly mistake like that end this ride, so onward we go.
    I am riding along again stretching out my back that’s pretty darn sore, but I’m back to attempting wheelies again, and my friends are just shaking their heads at me and providing facial gestures that I interpret as they don’t approve of my actions (hey-fall off the bike, you get back on…right?).

So about ten minutes later, we’re cresting the top of the downhill that leads to Gilbert St. and Jon takes off in front of me, I cruise by Jeana and point my 29r downhill. This hill is not technical by any means, but you can pick up some good speed, so you still need to stay alert.
    Well, as I come off the first railroad tie, bad things happen…the left side of my handlebars snaps…Uh Oh! I’m cruising probably between 20-25mph at this point, but ironically as almost in slow motion or “the Matrix’ fashion, I see the situation and I’m cognitive of hearing myself say; “this is not going to end well”.
    OK, back to regular speed, I have about a millisecond to try and save it, but to no avail and as the front wheel pitches sideways, over & up I go…OTB!
    As Jen quoted; “Scott-you looked like a rag doll being tossed around and at one point your bike was at least 10ft above you” and she also said it would have been an awesome highlight video! So tumble I did, landing hard on my back. I blacked out for just a second only to awake and hear Jeana for the second time that night yelling, “Scott, are you ok?”…”no….I’m definitely not ok”.
    As I sat up, I knew immediately that my left arm was not in good shape. I came to this assessment quickly, because I couldn’t move my left arm (I’m so smart) and I also reached up and felt the end of my left clavicle…but I know you’re not supposed to be able to feel the end of your clavicle (see how smart I am).
    As we continued to assess the situation, it was decided that I needed to get to an ER immediately, since I was having severe pain in my upper back too. I was admitted to St. Jude and after the usual waiting game in an ER bed; they started the evaluation. The first thing the ER doctor asked was how and where it happened and his reply; “Oh, Fully loop, I broke my neck on the drainage ditch three years ago while mountain biking there”…great!
    So after he cuts off my jersey and points out the obvious (broken clavicle), he sends me for X-rays and a few CAT scans.
    I was admitted at 6:45pm on Wednesday night and by 12:03am Thursday (now I can finally get some Morphine for the pain), I have the confirmed total damage.

The laundry list:
    Left fractured clavicle
    Fractured ribs #2 & 3 on posterior left side.
    Compression fracture of T-12 & L 1 vertebrae (T-spine fracture)

Ouch! Not a great night on the fully loop, but I guess it could’ve been worse. It appears I’m off the bike for a little while, which is a real bummer, because the Downieville gathering is coming at the beginning of June!

Battered & broken by the Fully Loop…who would’ve thunk it?

Be safe and wear your helmet all….you never know what can happen.

Cheers-
    Scott

P.S. special thanks to Jeana, Jen, Jon, Heather & Andy(aka rut) for their support.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wow its always seems to be the part of the trail that you least expect to take you down. Wishing you a speedy recovery. By the way were you running carbon bars? when you said snap instead of bend is why I still dont trust Carbon. I will take a bit more weight instead of the total failure.

Best Wishes get back on the bike soon.

Old school BMXer
    Scott,
    I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you get well soon.

You were probably using carbon bars, right? Those things break far more often than people really know.

Let that be a lesson to everyone: Don't underestimate the Fullerton Loop!
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsdmusic
    Wow its always seems to be the part of the trail that you least expect to take you down. Wishing you a speedy recovery. By the way were you running carbon bars? when you said snap instead of bend is why I still dont trust Carbon. I will take a bit more weight instead of the total failure.

Best Wishes get back on the bike soon.
    Thanks....yeah, it happens when you least expect it. Yes, I was running carbon bars and although I'm not a heavy rider, I do like to jump & play(I'm also on a full-rigid), so I think I need to be sure an inspect them more often.

Cheers-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    Scott,
    I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you get well soon.

You were probably using carbon bars, right? Those things break far more often than people really know.

Let that be a lesson to everyone: Don't underestimate the Fullerton Loop!
    Thanks Lee.

Haha...I'll never take the Fully Loop lightly again!

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry to hear....I would never ride with Carbon Bars EVER
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Old school BMXer
    I read of so many people claiming that they've never had a problem with carbon bars, thinking they're alright. That's usually the case until something happens. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can inspect for, since the cracking can often begin internally by delaminating the layers.

I'm sure you'll be back on the bike far sooner than the doctor will want you to be. Similar to when I messed up my wrist and had my arm in a cast for 5 freakin' months, I became pretty good at riding the loop one-handed.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    I read of so many people claiming that they've never had a problem with carbon bars, thinking they're alright. That's usually the case until something happens. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can inspect for, since the cracking can often begin internally by delaminating the layers.

I'm sure you'll be back on the bike far sooner than the doctor will want you to be. Similar to when I messed up my wrist and had my arm in a cast for 5 freakin' months, I became pretty good at riding the loop one-handed.
    Ya know...I've never had an issue with carbon fiber bars and still think they're a great product. I think I'm just more guilty of not inspecting them from time to time, but as you pointed out, they can crack internally and you'd never know it. When it's time to get back on the bike....I'll see how I feel about putting another pair on the 29r? I'm sure I'll be back in no time, it's just a bummer of how injuries disrupt everything...I've been doing really well rock climbing recently, so now it's back to square one for that too! Oy Vey!

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your injuries. Once you get the pain under control I'm sure you'll be hating the down time even more.

Out of curiosity were you using 25.4 or 31.8 bars? Brand?

Heal up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    Sorry to hear about your injuries. Once you get the pain under control I'm sure you'll be hating the down time even more.

Out of curiosity were you using 25.4 or 31.8 bars? Brand?

Heal up.
    Thanks, yeah...it's already getting frustrating not being able to do anything, so I'm sure in a couple more weeks, I'm going to bouncing off the walls(metaphorically).

I was using 25.4 Eatson Monkeylite XC lowrise, which I've been running for a while. I have another pair that I took off my old SS, which I think I'll now inspect before using(when I'm ready).

pewpewpew Moderator
    Ouch scott! That sucks! It wasn't your beer drinking arm was it?
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Ouch scott! That sucks! It wasn't your beer drinking arm was it?
    Hi Impy- No, my beer drinking arm is just fine, besides, I'm ambidextrous when it comes to beer consumption.
    Ironically though, I have not had a beer in a long time, as a choice to continue improving my fitness level....well, I guess I can now throw that out the window!
    Where's the Guinness?

Say hey to Al, sorry I missed all of you at Sea Otter, I had too many exams going on that week in school.
    From what I hear & see, you all had a great time.

ballbuster

Owie!!

Man, I tell ya. It's always the 'easy' rides that cause the most damage. I keep thinking of that guy in NorCal who died on the front side of China Camp. He was an expert class racer, stopped and waiting for his friends to catch up. He slipped a foot and went over the side of the trail, landed funny and broke his neck. I feel bad, because I forgot his name (Dan something), but they named one of the bridges after him in memory.

Anyway, the moral is always stay alert. Not that it would have helped in your case with a snapped bar and all. Really hard to predict if a bar is going to snap without disassembling it and inspecting the carbon or tubing. Sounds to me like you might have damaged it in the first wheelie loop-out.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the story! I always thought Fully Loop was a fun beginner trail, even for a beginner like me! But your story is a good lesson about being alert all the time and of course, check your equipment. Do you think this is something that Easton can replace? Like the previous poster had stated, maybe the previous wheelie fall had something to do with it. I was going to order the Race Face Next Low Rise bar too, but this has certainly got me thinking twice about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I also wish you a speedy recovery. The Loop is a pretty novice trail overall, but any trail can bite you, especially if you are riding hard and/or it is at night. I had a massive endo on the Loop last fall at that drainage ditch on the Blair Witch section and it was kind of a wakeup call to take every trail seriously.

I see people who ride without helmets sometimes and I think to myself how insanely stupid they are... actually, they probably are new to the sport and have never fallen and hit their head while riding, but it only takes one time to become a vegetable.

About your bars... did you install them or did a shop install them? If it was a shop, I would maybe think about trying somewhere else. Carbon bars need to be properly torqued and maybe even more important, you stem needs to be prepared before installing them. You definately do not want to over torque the stem bolts (a spinning bar is much more comforting than a snapping bar) and you do not want sharp, 90 degree edges where the stem meets the bar.

Again, get well soon and get back on that horse... then go re-conquer the Loop!

Hawk
    Last edited by HBhawk; 05-03-2007 at 12:21 PM.

OMR - Old Man Riding

Wink You know you were warned about being Andy's roomate...

[QUOTE=BurdmanBattered & broken by the Fully Loop…who would’ve thunk it?
    [/QUOTE]

But....nooooooooo, you just wouldn't listen.

Heal quickly bro (like Andy has)

OMR
    Older than Dirt!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm 210 lbs and I just started riding a carbon handlebar on the Dahon Fuego. I love the way it looks but stories like this make me think twice, especially when it happens on a trail I know.

BTW, what area is HBHawk referring to as the "Blair Witch" section? I've heard this term used before for a part of the Loop, but I'm not sure which part it's referencing.

JerYang
    www.MtnBikeRiders.com

the Dahon Fuego's carbon bar:

Johny Sokko!
    Dude!!!!!!!

Fully has claimed more victims than any other I know!

Claim: Concusion with a reward of falling into cactus
    Where: Blair Witch section

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner
    Dude!!!!!!!

Fully has claimed more victims than any other I know!

Claim: Concusion with a reward of falling into cactus
    Where: Blair Witch section
    Yeah, it's really ironic....I would have never thougt that, but so many are replying to this post with reports about injuries that happened on fully! But honestly, mine was because my bars snapped and I wonder if it was actually a good thing it happened on fully, rather then going down a much more technical trail?

Attached is a pic of my bars that snapped and also the new outfit that I'll be wearing for the next 4 months.
    Cheers-

Sorry...I didn't re-size it correctly. I'll see if I can adjust it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Wait..so aluminum doesn't break?

Scott, hope you heal fast!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Wait..so aluminum doesn't break?

Scott, hope you heal fast!
    Thanks Padre.

I don't know, I've never used aluminum bars....do they break? It wouldn't surprise me, if you've broken them before, but then again, you break complete bikes, so maybe that's not the best example.

I'm going with solid steel.