mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Barron Flats rides?

I might be visiting Barron Flats in a few weeks to go camping. Anyone know of any good rides up there? (I think it's up in the San Berdino mnts)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeAddict
    I might be visiting Barron Flats in a few weeks to go camping. Anyone know of any good rides up there? (I think it's up in the San Berdino mnts)
    If you mean Barton Flats, then yes, you'll be near good riding. The Santa Ana River Trail runs through the Barton Flats area. I'm not sure what the current conditions are. If I were to guess, I'd say that most of the snow is gone, but there's probably a lot of fallen trees blocking the trail. Check the trail reviews on this site and at www.socalmtb.com.

Over the Hill
    Since the rains I have rode the SART from Glass Road to South Fork Campground...a few trees and few slides. Good riding.

Allot of tree clearing going on in the section between Middle Control Road and Glass Rd. Forest Service told me there a allot of trees across the trail and they need some time to clean it up.

NOTE: My info is about two weeks old.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanks! I'm not actually going until the 2nd weekend of May. Hopefully it'll be better by then. ;-) I'm just going to bring my bike to the campground and hopefully there will be people there to direct me to the trail. I love discovering new territory. ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeAddict
    thanks! I'm not actually going until the 2nd weekend of May. Hopefully it'll be better by then. ;-) I'm just going to bring my bike to the campground and hopefully there will be people there to direct me to the trail. I love discovering new territory. ;-)
    There is a connector trail that runs between Barton Flats Campground and the Santa Ana River Trail (#2E03). Shouldn't be too hard to find. The connector trail is probably a little less than a mile long. When you reach the junction with the SART, you can go right or left:

Go right onto the SART and you'll reach the upper trailhead in about 2-1/2 miles. The trail continues on the other side of Hwy 38 near South Fork Campground, but it's best to just turn around here and head back down the way you came.

Go left onto the SART and you'll reach Glass Road in about 4 miles. The trail continues on the other side of Glass Road. Another 3-1/2 miles or so and the trail dumps you out on Middle Control Road.

The trail continues on the other side of Middle Control Road. This portion is best done as a loop, though. You ride up Middle Control Road to Hwy 38 to Angelus Oaks post office/general store. Find the fireroad that starts behind the store and climb for about 3/4 mile to another trailhead for the SART. Take the SART back down to Middle Control Road.

Info, maps and photos can be found here: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/SART.htm

Good luck and have fun!