mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Balboa Park MTB race 1-29

PLEASE register online to help us stay on time! We are expecting a large turn out and Registering online saves you time and paperwork. Thank you!!!

Here is the long awaited return of the Balboa Park race. This will be a fun race for all ability levels to try out some urban mountain biking.

Returning XC and Marathon riders bring please bring your plastic number plate from the Winter series of there will be a $5 replacement fee.

North of the Border Bikes kids zone including a bounce house and a kids race.

BRC bike shop 200% PRO Payout

Zumwalts Bicycle Center $25 First timers / Chasers class

Post race snacks including water and fresh fruit

Directions:
    From the 5 South exit Pershing Dr. Stay on Pershing. Make a left in to the San Diego Velodrome parking.

Course Map:

Course Distance is approximately 4 miles.
    Course Direction is Clockwise

Lap Count:
    Beginners- 2
    Sport- 3
    Expert and Pro's- 4
    Marathon- as many as possible before the 3.5hr cutoff. Your last lap must be finished before 4.5 hrs after race start.

Schedule:
    Wednesday Jan 26th:
    Midnight- Online registration closes

Friday Jan 28th:
    10:00m-6pm - Registration and Packet pick up at Cal Coast Bicycles

Saturday:
    7:00 to 30 min before your race start - On site registration and number pick up
    8am- Marathon race start
    9am- Sport and Beginner race start
    11am- Expert and Pro race start

Awards following the conclusion of the races

See our add at the top of the page for more information.
    RacersandChasers.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Start/finish and parking?

Hi Robert,

I'm looking forward to this race! I haven't ridden at Balboa before, just missed the race last year. I saw the map on the website. I was wondering where is the start/finish line, and where is the best place to park?

Thanks!

77x
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Course conditions?

I have never riden Balboa Park. Does anyone know what this course is like? Hard pack? Sand? Gravel? Amount of climbing per lap? Technical descents? Thanks.

Braugh Bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by 77x
    I have never riden Balboa Park. Does anyone know what this course is like? Hard pack? Sand? Gravel? Amount of climbing per lap? Technical descents? Thanks.
    It's all very easy, pretty much all hardpack, maybe a few patches of mud. Some rocky sections. Looks like there's quite a bit of climbing (race goes down and up the side of a canyon 3 times per lap) The decents are only slightly technical. I see novices on walmart bikes doing them occasionally. Nothing to sweat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here is a little course pre-view to give you an idea of the terrain invoved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed-r5AkNp_M

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Video runs counter-clockwise?

OK I may be wrong, but it looks like the video takes the course counter-clockwise, although the website say it will run clockwise?

mtbr member
    Too bad this race isn't later in the season. I like riding in that area but I haven't been on the bike in about 6 weeks. I rode tonight but I'm no where close to being where I need to be fitness wise.
    "The Jeep is America's only real sports car"
    Enzo Ferrari

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dmkp621
    OK I may be wrong, but it looks like the video takes the course counter-clockwise, although the website say it will run clockwise?
    You are correct actually! I am going to be changing the course direction today so that the course will go the same direction as the course preview video, Counter-clockwise.

I am doing this for safety reasons as this will eliminate the high speed to tight turn downhills.

Motorep, feel free to join us for the Zumwalts $25 First Timers / CHASERS class. Its just a fun way to be able to ride your bike with everyone and not worry about your fitness!
    RacersandChasers.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Great race!

I had a blast! Very unique venue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I didn't get to race but it looked like lots of fun!

!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ivelocal
    I didn't get to race but it looked like lots of fun!

!
    The front tire washed out on my fifth lap but I saved it... for those wondering the outcome....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    lol, nice that you saved it! In the pic it look like all that is on your bike is your hands!!

P.s. what tires were you running? I didn;t really like my Rocket Ron for the that course.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    lol, nice that you saved it! In the pic it look like all that is on your bike is your hands!!

P.s. what tires were you running? I didn;t really like my Rocket Ron for the that course.
    I was running Specialized Renegades. This was the only time the tires broke loose and of course if was caught on film. My fault though, I was putting my water bottle back into the cage coming into that turn way too hot... Amazing how fast you can unclip when you know your going down...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dmkp621
    I had a blast! Very unique venue.
    Thanks for coming out! I am glad that you had a great time!! Balboa is always a unique place to ride for many reasons!

Awesome picture Deron, Serious handling skills there!

Our next event is on Feb 19th at Black Mountain. This will be the first time ever a race is held on Black Mountain!!! Hope everyone can make it!
    RacersandChasers.com