Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Bakersfield Relocation

I am moving to Bakersfield in the next few months from the Bay Area, prior to the bay area (I have only been here for a couple of years), I spent about a decade in Fort Collins, CO.

So, I am married with a seven month old son, and I am looking for a house around 300K. My wife and I both ride road and mountain.

We are trying to weigh the pros and cons of several different things, and I was hoping to get Bakersfield natives to chime in. We are looking in town close to the bike path (brighton) AND out in Tuscany/Rio Bravo. Could someone please let me know if the Tuscany/Rio bravo seems too far out there. Also, It seems like Tuscany/Rio Bravo are closer to hart park, but I am not sure if people from in town commonly ride the bike path out to hart park to ride.

Thanks

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Bakerfield Sucks , if you can afford 300k in todays market you can do better. May I suggest SLO, Atascadero or Paso Robles?
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I know bako isn't great..

but that is where my job is going to be, so I am going to make due rather than do some insane commute.

Beer Please!
    Bakersfield is an awful place. If you HAVE to move near there for work reasons may I suggest moving up the hill to Tehachapi, or Lake Isabella, both area's are smaller mountain towns, just as affordable living if not cheaper than Bakersfield, and both offer great local mountain trails. Heck Isabella has the Canal Plunge in its backyard. Though Tehachapi has a freeway for ones commute to Bakersfield verse a 2 lane road.

Bakersfield to Tehachapi is 36 miles, not a bad commute considering there is no traffic.

My ex-brother in law is a police officer in Bakersfield, that town has some serious gang issues, I got plenty of first hand accounts. During Christmas the Mall hires extra armed security guards to patrol the roof of the mall to watch for gang violence.

Yes, it has some nice parts of town, but the winters consist of major Tulle Fog and the summers are triple digits and some of the worst air quality in all of California due to the farm pesticides and the smog getting trapped at the southern end of the San Joaquin Valley.

As you can see I cannot lobby any harder against the place, and for those on these forums who live there, I am sorry if my opinion offends you. I was forced out of Orange County as a teenager and spent 7 years in Tehachapi and dreaded trips to Bakersfield.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

member: kv dirt daddies

Not that bad

Let me lend some sanity to this conversation. Bakersfield is not that bad. I know it has the rep of being the armpit of California but there is no perfect place to live. Spring and Fall are nice in Bako. Summer is hot and the fog can be crappy in the Winter.

The Brighton area is a good part of town. It is surrounded by other well off areas and would be a solid choice. 300K should open up some good options in houses.

Rio Bravo would be a better choice in my opinion. It is East of town and close to Hart Park and some decent dirt road/trails to ride (Not great trails but at least it is dirt). You could do a workout from your house. Most of that area was just built up during the last housing boom. It is about 10-15 minutes form downtown. One great thing about Rio Bravo is that it is 15 minutes closer to Lake Isabella and the Sierras. You would be 30 minutes from the Kern Canyon Trail which is a great 24 mile XC ride.

I would not commute to Lake Isabella or Tehachapi. I live in Kernville and work up here but if my job moved to Bakersfield I would move with it. I wouldn't want to add 2 hours of driving to my daily routine.

As for everyone saying Bakersfield sucks, I say it is all about what you are looking for. I agree that the city itself has some issues but so does every other place. I may be in the minority but I would rather live in Bako than SLO, the OC, or Paso. I am not much of a beach person, I hate traffic, and I love the Sierras. Two hours from Bako and you can be deep in the mountains.

Today I dropped my kids off at school and went up to get some firewood. I had the truck loaded by 11 so I took the long way home through the Packsaddle Giant Sequoia Grove. While I was up there I only saw 2 people. I made it back in time to pick my kids up at 2pm. Try doing that in the OC.

BTW my wife and sister own a daycare center in the Northwest part of town. They are one of the few that take 0-2 year olds. It is called A Good Time Out. I saw you have a 7 month old. I couldn't resist the shameless plug.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

jfsh: Less fog at Rio Bravo?

I am not sure if you will now, but does the slight elevation increase out in Rio bravo, get you above the fog in the winter, or is that area socked in as well.

Thanks

Beer Please!
    You have to get pretty far up the hill to get out of the fog.

I currently live in North San Diego county and drive near 100 miles a day cause my job is kinda far, but to me it is worth not living in Chula Vista.

If I worked in Bakersfield, I would live well out of town and commute in.

Some people love it there, I can't stand it.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

CEB
    No horse'n round
    What job could be SO good to live in a place SO BAD? C'mon. I've been to the "Bake" many times. Several of my college buddies are from there. Northside/Oildale (when it was nice). Garces High School grads. Not the same Bakersfield as the 70's. Sounds like you got the shaft.... oh... go hang in Shafter!!!!

Good luck.... really. Sorry for the jabs.......I guess I am DAMMMM lucky to be living in San Diego.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I am excited to get down there...

It is a great job, and to be honest out-my-access access where I live in the bay area is depressing.

Oh, and I spent a long time in Fort Collins---San Diego is not even close as far as biking goes.....trust me (I often say, if you think living in California is great, you have lived here too long).

Bako won't be great, but it will lead to good things for me.

mtbr member
    I may be in the minority but I would rather live in Bako than SLO, the OC, or Paso. I am not much of a beach person, I hate traffic, and I love the Sierras.

jfsh, you obviously haven't spent a lot of time in the SLO area. It definitely isn't a hippy beach town with a traffic problem. I would live in the San Luis area any day of the week over Bakersfield. But if work called, you do what you gotta do.

Flaccid Member
    The best sight of Bako is in the rear view mirror, on 99 or 58. Air quality is dangerous there, the same crap that's killing Mountain Yellow Legged Frogs to extinction, too many humans and their nasty habits /lifestyle upwind of you.

Klurejr - driving 100 miles a day sounds like hell to me just like Bako sounds like hell to you. If you don't mind the drive I guess it works for you. Not everyone is the same.

jmallory - I have family in Paso, SLO, and Morro Bay. I have spent plenty of time in the area. The traffic comment was directed towards the OC. I would agree that if you just stayed in town SLO is better than Bako. The thing is I don't stay in town for fun. If you are a beach person SLO is much closer. If you are a mountain person Bako is much closer.

As I said before, I know I am in the minority. ****, I know people who work here in Lake Isabella and live in Bako. I can't understand that for the life of me. I am stoked that most people seem to prefer to live in different areas than I do. That way my area stays how I like it, UNCROWDED! The truth is if everyone really knew what kind of riding opportutities are up here we would be crawling with riders every weekend. Today we only saw 4 moto riders, no bikers, and no hikers during our 5 hour, 6000' vertical foot ride. As mountain biker I would think that being an hour from such a place would be something to consider when deciding if a place sucks.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsh
    Klurejr - driving 100 miles a day sounds like hell to me just like Bako sounds like hell to you. If you don't mind the drive I guess it works for you. Not everyone is the same.
    To each his own. I cannot imagine a job good enough to pull me back to living in that part of the state. Even if I ditched my commute.

And I agree with you on one thing, California does suck, highest taxes, worst laws, highest cost of living, etc etc. I would move out of state in a heartbeat if my entire family did not live here. It is hard to pick up and leave so much family behind. I think it is very unfair to give a blanket statement that one place has better riding than another. Here in San Diego there is a ton of riding, some great riding I don't even have to truck my bike too. I can do a nice ride at La Costa and enjoy incredible views of the ocean from atop the hill.

mtbr member
    Twelve Volt,
    I also moved to Bakersfield because of my job, ended up liking it and stayed.
    Check out:
    SSFTA
    Kernweelmen
    Action Sports
    MRA
    Keyesville Classic

Lot's of great people in town. Lots of riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr
    I think it is very unfair to give a blanket statement that one place has better riding than another. Here in San Diego there is a ton of riding, some great riding I don't even have to truck my bike too. I can do a nice ride at La Costa and enjoy incredible views of the ocean from atop the hill.
    Fair enough. I suppose not everyone is looking for the same thing in riding either. That being said I have ridden most of the good stuff in your area. I have even done a few laps at La Costa. It is a fun little after work ride.

Within an hour I have 15+ big, all day rides, many with huge vertical. If you are an all mountain rider Kernville rivals the best places in the West. I have tons of riding buddies who live down there and come up several times a year for the goods. To my knowledge there isn't a place down South that can claim anything close to these numbers. The San Gabes were the closest before they got torched. So it is my humble opinion that the riding here is better, some may feel differently.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Jacobus: Any thoughts on location?

I am stuck between Rio Bravo Tuscany OR in town close to the bike path (Brighton, seven oaks, etc.)

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Rio Bravo area is better for activities, Seven Oaks area is better for living & schools.

Butts Up Fast!
    I've been stuck in Bako since '91. Yes it's hot, the air suck's and the gangs are annoying. But to answer your question about where to live. Brighton estates/parks is on the flat west side of town. It has better shopping, schools and the roads are layed out more intelligently. The bike path is close for road riding with a few stops along the way for dirt jumping and a various parks.
    I live on the east side in the foothills close to Tuscany and Rio Bravo. The foothills have alot more trail riding options as far as off road goes. The kern river, hart park and lake isabella are all closer. But at the cost of crappy shopping and beat up roads.
    Check out "City in the Hills" if you can. Its a small community in its early stages of development. It's in the foothills as well.

mtbr member
    To the OP, I am with ya. The Navy is moving me from SD to Lemoore about an hour and some change north of Bakersfield. I am not happy about it, but what can I do. It's not ideal but you just have to make the best of it. Plus I'm looking to hooking up w/ Jfsh for some Kernville rides.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

Sure, look me up when you get here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'd pick the northeast side of town if you like to bike. You're close to the foothills and can ride from your house if you'd like. Also, if you like to ride on the road, you'd be close to Breckenridge and Round Mountain. I really don't think Bakersfield is that bad. Sure there are other places I'd rather live, but for now it is alright. Good luck with your move!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsh
    I know it has the rep of being the armpit of California
    Stockton is the armpit of CA, Bakersfield is the butthole.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Kern river bike path

For the in-towners: Does the bike path go from town and terminate in the hart park area, or do you ride east unitl the bike path ends then take raods to hart park?

Beer Please!
    You take roads to Hart Park, it is a ways out there. I used to come down off the mountain and ride Dirt Bikes there with buddies who lived in Bakes. I don't know if OHV's are still allowed in those parts of hart park, but if there are you may want to scope it out in a car ahead of time.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    EMFC, when I was in the Navy I thought about requesting shore duty at Lemoore so my wife could be close to her family (Visalia) and she told me "F*** NO!" We stayed in San Diego and I'm glad we did. It just gets too hot for me up in the central valley. BUT- the Visalia area has some nice road rides going up into the foothills to Three rivers...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast