Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bakersfield?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Bakersfield?

Might be moving to Bakersfield; any insight on where to live and how the riding is? I know Kernville is only an hour away so at least I'm not too far from some solid riding, but it looks like there are some trails at Kern River Park as well. Are they good enough that itís worth trying to live on the East side of town for? It also looks like there is a nice road bike path that starts on the West side of town, which sounds like is one of the better parts of town to live in with new homes and more shopping, schools, etc. Anyways, any knowledge of the area would be great... especially the riding

I'm from CA so moving back is appealing since I would be closer for weekend trips to the Tahoe area as well as the socal beaches, but for the last 3 years I've had great access to good trails so it's going to be a bummer if I have to drive 1+ hours every time I want to do a mountain bike ride.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Most who live here take the bike trail out to the east side because that's where the hills are.

There are new houses on both sides.

The foothills near Hart Park are where most do their mountain bike riding locally.

Beer Please!
    Stay as far north of the 58 as possible, there are some rough area's down there.

If possible I would move to Tehachapi or Lake Isabella and not live in Bakersfield at all. Bakersfield is gross IMO.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Stay as far north of the 58 as possible, there are some rough area's down there.

If possible I would move to Tehachapi or Lake Isabella and not live in Bakersfield at all. Bakersfield is gross IMO.

so true,....an armpit
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you have any regard for your quality of life, do everything you can to not end up there. Isabella and Tehachapi are less gang/more tweaker but pretty much that whole area is the sewage overflow of LA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ha, thanks for the tips. Those seem to be the usual responses from people when bakersfield comes up.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by westeast View Post
    Ha, thanks for the tips. Those seem to be the usual responses from people when bakersfield comes up.
    When I was 14 we moved from Orange County up to Tehachapi and I lived there for about 6 years. During that time we went to Bakersfield a number of times during the year to do major shopping at Costco, or Clothes shopping at the mall. During Christmas they posted armed Police Officers on the roof of the mall to help prevent gang violence. I have had 2 brother in laws who worked for the BPD and heard horror stories of the stuff that goes down in that city. At least in Tehachapi or Lake Isabella you have a mountain type life with 4 seasons, etc. Bakersfield has some of the worst air quality in the nation in the summer (not mentioning triple digit temperatures), and a heavy does of tulle fog in the winter.

Tehachapi is by no stretch a perfect town, but I would move back there before ever considering Bakersfield. I still have family in both cities.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I live in Bakersfield and see the love this town gets. Yes the air quality is the worst in the nation, right behind LA/Orange/Riverside counties. It does get hot here during the summer. I also lived in Lake Isabella for 2 years and it is a nice retirement place. There is alot of riding up in Greenhorn and Sherman Pass. The local MTB club SSFTA, does local rides out in the Foothills,Cannell Meadow, Just Outstanding and other out of town rides.

Bakersfield is 2 hours from everything(coast or disneyland or yosemite) which is great and is pretty cheap to live here. There is really no riding in Tehachapi and no groups up there. If riding is what you really want I would live in Isabella because you can do something different on a daily basis within 20-40 minutes drive from Isabella.

If you want an opinion about B-town please ask from someone who actually lives here, not from someone who does not currently live here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    I live in Bakersfield and see the love this town gets. Yes the air quality is the worst in the nation, right behind LA/Orange/Riverside counties. It does get hot here during the summer. I also lived in Lake Isabella for 2 years and it is a nice retirement place. There is alot of riding up in Greenhorn and Sherman Pass. The local MTB club SSFTA, does local rides out in the Foothills,Cannell Meadow, Just Outstanding and other out of town rides.

Bakersfield is 2 hours from everything(coast or disneyland or yosemite) which is great and is pretty cheap to live here. There is really no riding in Tehachapi and no groups up there. If riding is what you really want I would live in Isabella because you can do something different on a daily basis within 20-40 minutes drive from Isabella.

If you want an opinion about B-town please ask from someone who actually lives here, not from someone who does not currently live here.
    Thanks for the info. What part of town do you live in? I here the NW area is nice and newer, but that there are nice neighbor hoods on the far East side too that are close to the mountain biking. Do you know if traffic is bad from either side to the downtown area?

It's pretty much official that we'll be moving there. I'm looking forward to surfing in Ventura and riding in the Sierras. I've never done the Cannell Plunge.

Raymond Donald Franklin
    ...Bakersfield is 2 hours from everything(....disneyland...)
    Aw, come on now. It's more like 3 hours to Disneyland, one of which being stuck in traffic between I-5/I-10 junction and Anaheim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah, probably more to disneyland with traffic which is always a major concern when passing through the greater LA area, but I got his point and agree that it is something that is attractive about bakersfield. 4 hours to mammoth, 1 hour to kernville, 2 hours to ventura, 5 to tahoe, 4 to santa cruz (thanks google maps).... so lots of cool places to go and I don't have to dodge LA traffic to get there. I used to live in San Diego and it was great, but weekend trips to the north were always difficult to do there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I live in Rosedale as well and I can make it from my door to Disneyland on a FRIDAY afternoon in 2.5 hours. That is taking the 210 to the 57 to Katella and it goes so much faster. Never try to take the 5/405 that is a death wish.

the best way to get across town is Olive drive and to the 99 and then get on Golden State and you can get off on F street or Chester and your downtown. This depends on where you live in the NW. I live of Verdugo/Hageman and that is the fastest way to get downtown from my house. From the East side, just jump on the 178 west and it dumps you out into downtown.

If you need anything let me know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I live in Rosedale as well and I can make it from my door to Disneyland on a FRIDAY afternoon in 2.5 hours. That is taking the 210 to the 57 to Katella and it goes so much faster. Never try to take the 5/405 that is a death wish.

the best way to get across town is Olive drive and to the 99 and then get on Golden State and you can get off on F street or Chester and your downtown. This depends on where you live in the NW. I live of Verdugo/Hageman and that is the fastest way to get downtown from my house. From the East side, just jump on the 178 west and it dumps you out into downtown.

If you need anything let me know.
    Thanks again for the info. We are leaning towards the NW area, but still curious about the east side. Seems like the big problem over there is that there is not much there in the way of grocery stores and other shops.

Beer Please!
    If you can possibly do it, I would recommend finding a more temporary place to live for a few weeks so you can explore town before settling down in one place. If I had no choice but to live in Bakersfield I would probably try to live outside of town. My mom used to live North West up off 7th Standard Road. It was not too far from town, and much more remote feeling. If you lived in San Diego, the traffic in Bakersfield can hardly be defined as traffic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    If you can possibly do it, I would recommend finding a more temporary place to live for a few weeks so you can explore town before settling down in one place. If I had no choice but to live in Bakersfield I would probably try to live outside of town. My mom used to live North West up off 7th Standard Road. It was not too far from town, and much more remote feeling. If you lived in San Diego, the traffic in Bakersfield can hardly be defined as traffic.
    7th Standard road is now getting alot of new home construction nowadays. It is not as remote as it once was.

Beer Please!
    7th Standard road is now getting alot of new home construction nowadays. It is not as remote as it once was.
    Really? wow, when my mom lived there..... 10 years ago now that I think about it.... there was nothing out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    danmtchl, why do you live in rosedale... if that's not too personal ha ha? Work, closer to the shops... I'm looking at google satellite view and it looks like that bike path follows a wash all the way out to the 5. Do you ever ride your mtb along any dirt trails or dirt roads out that way? It's really looking like this NW area is the best place for being closer to work, schools, shops and all that. It would be nice to live near hart park and have local trails close by, but it's not the only thing to consider. Besides, it looks like I'm going to be trying to get to the out of town rides most often anyways.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I usually go to bakersfield a few times a year for boat races and also had family that lived there for years.Like anyplace there are bad areas and better areas,I didnt feel in any more danger than here in so cal.
    If i had lots of money i wouldnt mid having a place near lake ming area on a large lot.Oh and when i first took my bike there to get me around the pit area and into the dirt weeds area i found out what goatheads are.LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    WestEast,
    Sounds like you are learning alot about the area!
    I live in the N.W. of Bakersfield. I live there because I work in Delano (40 miles north of town) and have easy access to highway 99. If the NW is close to where you will work, then it is where I would choose. There is a new development on the north end of Calloway drive near 7th standard that is nice, as well as some other established-but-new developments in the area.
    P.M. me if you want a very good realtor, he can help you help with buying or renting.

As far as the riding
    Mountain Biking:
    It takes me about 30 minutes to drive from my house to the afternoon group rides in the foothills, and about 20 minutes to get there in the mornings. The foothills have decent riding, a little bit of everything, including goatheads and rattlesnakes.You can easily put a 15-20 mile ride together with about 2500 ft (I know not much) of climbing out there. As you and others have said Bakersfield is very close to a lot of very nice out of town ride spots.
    Road:
    The bike path is nice, it is just a flat to rolling path but you can get in a good ride if you push it. The good road riding is to the north of town, Granite road to glennville. The further you go the steeper it gets!
    Let me know when you are around!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by westeast View Post
    danmtchl, why do you live in rosedale... if that's not too personal ha ha? Work, closer to the shops... I'm looking at google satellite view and it looks like that bike path follows a wash all the way out to the 5. Do you ever ride your mtb along any dirt trails or dirt roads out that way? It's really looking like this NW area is the best place for being closer to work, schools, shops and all that. It would be nice to live near hart park and have local trails close by, but it's not the only thing to consider. Besides, it looks like I'm going to be trying to get to the out of town rides most often anyways.
    I live out here because I like the area, great schools, close to shopping and new restaurants. I really don't have to leave the Rosedale area (NW) unless I have to hit the mall. The closest bike shop is 2 miles away(Action Sports). I am a student right now but when I did it never took me more than 20 minutes to get from one end of town to the other.

The Hart Park area is nice and quiet but there is nothing really out that way and it is a drive to the closest grocery store or shopping or restaurants. You may like that type of enviroment.

As for riding DZANINOVICH1 basiclly stated what is out here. I do ride the bike trail sometimes but mainly ride out in the foothills/Isabella/Mt. Pinos area

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the info guys. It's looking like the NW area will work best. I'll hit you guys up again when I get to the area.

mtbr member
    Listen to Dan. I'm from Bako and have lived a few places around the country since, as well as Germany and Korea. Bakersfield isn't bad (grass always greener) if thats where you're going to live. Hart Park area is where i ride when i visit. I grew up on the East side (bad neighborhoods) and survived. Every town has bad areas. NW near CSUB is newer and less issues. Rosedale has a way of taking care of problems on their own . Further East side around Hart Park area is still mostly quiet. Stay away from Oildale as much as possible. There are other trouble areas that i remember, but, the residents above have given you enough to start with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Bakersfield always gets a bad rap, I've worked there many times. People are just friendly there, plus the biscuits &gravy is the best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridezum View Post
    ...plus the biscuits &gravy is the best.
    For sure. I hit up The Sugar Mill every time i visit .

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks agian for the feedback. It's really good to hear some positive things from people from the area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast