29er for the Soul

Backbone Trail: Trancas Canyon/Edison Rd to Zuma Ridge Open?

Just looking for clarification.

Is the backbone trail open from Trancas Canyon(Edison Rd) to Zuma Ridge? It seems to be private land, but are they currently allowing bikers to pass?

Thanks
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I try to keep up-to-date on BBT access issues, and I haven't heard anything about the property owner opening their property to the public (yet). Taking Encinal between Trancas and Zuma Ridge adds less than a mile to the trip.

29er for the Soul
    I decided to find out for myself. Earlier today, I did access the boundary from Encinal Canyon. It's a steep fire road of less than .25 mile up to the end of the Trancas Canyon trail where it meets the boundary of the private property. There is no gate there or any signs warning of no trespassing. there is however, a small sign stating that it's private property. There were a lot of tire tracks in the dirt crossing over the boundary, indicating to me that there is biker traffic going across the boundary to pick up the Zuma Ridge Fire road and then take the trail out to Kanan.

As I was contemplating riding in, a biker came up and we talked a little bit. He said a single track picks up just beyond the boundary and the trail appears maintained and well used. I decided to head west on Trancas Canyon to the Encinal Canyon trail TH.

Cheers
    So Cal Rod