Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Back to big bear

3K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  Sidewalk 
#1 ·
Had such a great time last summer heading back up next few days. Some good advice from many such as jeff, vader, hawg, and dj. Thanks again.

Going to ride skyline and then try to hit hanna/grout which i missed last time.

My question this time is i think we want to spend part of a day out on the lake. Are there any marinas you BB experts recommend for renting a boat?

Any other tips? Thanks again for any insight.

I'll be the clyde who looks like a cross between thor, sasquatch, and Justin Turner, say hi if you spot me.

Chris

#5 ·
Going to hit lake tomorrow. Thanks for tips on boat rentals.

Did skyline today, the elevation got to me more than last year:skep: but once i got onto the ridgeline i was fine. Out and back as we're staying off moonridge. I decided to try pirates to fallline to fern and come out near the house. Fallline was a little more than my xc bike was used too :eekster: not too bad, got down it fine but could have used another 40 mm and a degree of HA to smooth it out. Fun day though a bit hot.

Chris

Attachments

#6 ·
I have a problem with the trails up here and I've done a lot of work on Skyline and Fall Line.
I've been trying to get it across to the guys( won't mention their names) that we can't build trails the way they are being built. When trails are considered, a few things must be taken into account, soil conditions, who's using the trails and the amount of maintenance for the trails. I feel every mark was missed on Skyline and now Fall line.
My concerns are these, most of the corners are too tight, leading to skidding. Downhill section with a tight corner at the bottom. Blind corners with a steep incline going up. Rock/ boulder sections that are hard to clear,( for a horse, impossible) just to name a few.
I consider myself an advanced rider and have cleared every section of Skyline, but a trail that was built so that riders would stay off 2N10, why did they make it mostly for advanced riders? A trail built for everyone works for everyone, an advanced trail only accomadates only skilled riders or those who are riding over their heads. I like to point out Uptown/ Downtown and Beach Cruiser, up in Mammoth as well built trails.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Skyline, Pirates, Fall line, etc, I just think they could have been built way better and more sustainable.
Anyhow, Grout Bay is more xc orientated than Skyline and Fall Line, I actually think it's a better trail. Just wish it was longer!

#10 ·
why did they make it mostly for advanced riders? A trail built for everyone works for everyone, an advanced trail only accomadates only skilled riders or those who are riding over their heads.
I remember reading about the fatalities at Snow Summit last summer. They were in a different spot, but it seems like there is some "weirdness" in the trails and who they expect to ride what. I haven't been there yet (not a big fan of Big Bear in general), but TBH, I am a bit scared to go. I've looked at the trail map and it just seems off.

I am sure a lot, or most riders go by skill level. But I can't help think there are those that think "I've been riding a bike for 20 years, and we are close to LA, so nothing that wild can happen on a black diamond trail!"

I like to point out Uptown/ Downtown and Beach Cruiser, up in Mammoth as well built trails.
I love Downtown. It's still fun even though I've progressed past it. Beach Cruiser is a lot of fun when using the Shortcut. Doing the full trail to me feels a little goofy with a bunch of up and down that really doesn't have a purpose. Gravy Train is the one that is really on my shitlist though.

#7 ·
Well, thanks for your work on these trails Jeff. I'd be excited to have trails even half as good near my house, unfortunately i have to drive a lot for what may not be perfect for modern trail standards but definitely makes me content. Again, I've only just got back into riding after almost 15 years off.

I think i do see the criticism you point out on the trails as i ride them but I'm too busy at this point just hanging on, being safe and having fun. I don't know how else i can help being an occasional visitor spending money locally and not being a douche on the trails.

After a quick ride and a lake day hope to hit hanna/grout on Friday before heading back to Ventucky.

Chris

#8 ·
Chris,
Maybe my rant sounds like I don't appreciate the hard work and effort involved that everyone who volunteered their time with the trails. I do appreciate it all and it certainly is a lot better than riding on mostly fire roads. I just think it could have been done way better.
There have been some changes and re-routes to the trails, some for the better, some worse.
I also feel lucky that we do have all the trails and fire roads right outside my door. I can leave from my house and do a 40 mile ride, with 20 of those miles on single track with only about 3 miles on paved roads.

#9 ·
I hear you man. Communicating the good and bad can make for a better product in the long run, unfortunately the keyword in MTB from what i see seems to be "longrun". Keep up the good fight Jeff.

I'm just trying to have fun and do my part as a visitor by exhibiting good etiquette and not dragging my rear end around in the dry and loose.

Chris

#11 ·
OTT, in your regards to Downtown trail, that's exactly the point I'm trying to make to the BB Trails Foundation. I think that almost every trail that uses public land and is built for multi-use, should be a trail that every level of rider can handle. If built right, it can be fun and challenging for every level of rider, if a pro rider wants to go all out, they could have fun and get a good workout, or a beginner can get their first taste of sweet single track.
I ride the bike park occasionally, and the trails in the park should be challenging, but marked for their appropriate skill level, not a problem.
I also ride my cyclocross bike on the trails up here, Skyline is very hard on that bike, but fun. I just wish we can find at least a happy medium when it comes to bUilding trails up here, I'm trying to lead the way

#13 ·
Back home at sea level. Finally got to ride Hanna>Grey's Peak. Very fun ride and descent, plus great views.

Thanks to both Jeff's for your boating advice. Holloway's set us up right, except for the girl at the counter who swore that people aren't allowed to swim in the lake. :nono: Then the boat guy was like "I didn't tell you this but yeah, go ahead and jump in." :thumbsup:

I don't know If it was the heat (hotter than our visit last summer) or the elevation but I was bonking on the climbs much more than last year. Maybe riding 3 days straight after driving up I didn't have time to acclimate. Or, perhaps the 6 IPA's a day were a factor. There is a thread in the general forums on adjusting to altitude but the math, graphs, and expertising was making my head hurt. :skep:

Anyhow, I used to overlook BB for many years after living in Norcal and going to Tahoe so much but I now realize that BB is a pretty cool place to hang out, ride and have fun. Plus, it's much closer to where I live now.

PS. Breakfast at the Grill and Grind was awesome this morning.

If in Ventucky and want to ride SM or SB hit me up.

Chris

#18 ·
Finally rode in Big Bear yesterday. did Hanna flat and Grout trail up to Grey's point. I really enjoyed it. My wife ate it on Hanna on a sandy corner and landed in a prickly bush. Her fist fall. She's tough but got some nice scrapes and bruises. She's still pulling out thorns from her arms and legs. The decent from Grey's was really fun. Next time I'll try Skyline. Folks at Bear Valley bikes were awesome and got her messed up rear derailleur working great before the ride. Friendly folks and inexpensive fast service.

#24 ·
just rode again today. kept it in the 40T front. My legs are burning.

Traffic was horrific yesterday, lots of hikers. But they---pardon the pun---"trail off" the further you go, mainly they are within a mile of the trail and most just give up and turn around. Where I took this pic there wasn't anyone----a hiker, biker, raccoon, coyote, hooker, etc.

Attachments

#25 ·
Glad you guys had fun.

It's been a weird holiday weekend down here. Clearly everyone left town because the freeways were wide open each time I drove them. But where did everyone go? Was at the beach today and it was full but not holiday crowded. I rode Backbone yesterday and was shocked to find several parking spaces open at the tunnel on Kanan.

#27 ·
Back in Big Bear, I love riding here. I've rode here for several years and never ridden the bike park. Tomorrow will be my first trip to the park, I'm looking forward to it, but I'm a little intimidated by the large jumps. I'll do my best to stay within my skill set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Back in Big Bear, I love riding here. I've rode here for several years and never ridden the bike park. Tomorrow will be my first trip to the park, I'm looking forward to it, but I'm a little intimidated by the large jumps. I'll do my best to stay within my skill set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too late now I know, but...

Everything is either rollable or has a bypass, so nothing to worry about. You can work your way up if you want to, or don't, all up to you. But stay within your skill set like you said and you'll be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.