Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

APB - Stolen Hardtail MTB - Ventura

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  fatcat 
#1 ·
Hey all,

My son took my MTB to Ventura for a camping trip and it got jacked from the campground. I swapped out the rims and the fork from the stock version. I am already looking at CL.

If you see, it let me know.

Novara Ponderosa 2009 Hardtail
Silver
Front wheel - Flow ZTR rim WTB Bronson tire
Rear wheel - Flow ZTR EX rim WTB Bronson tire
Fork - Marzocchi Bomber fork with black stanchions
Front Hub is aluminum red - I don't remember the make.
SRAM 7 drivetrain - 9 cog rear cluster
Brakes - Avid BB7 disc brakes
WTB seat
Black water bottle cage
Chain stay guard is home made from an inner tube attached with cable ties.

Image found here. I was having trouble posting the picture directly.
https://i1078.photobucket.com/album...erosa/Rod 29er rock roll down_zpsk5ehyi5r.jpg

He filed a police report. That night, other bikes were stolen from the campground.
Cheers,

Rod

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi Everyone,

Good News!

My bike was recovered by Ventura PD yesterday. My wife got a call from them last night stating they had found it!

It's been a nerve wracking last few months. I found an ad for it on CL 3 weeks after it had been stolen. I contacted the seller and asked for pix. He never responded. I even called him and he said he would send pix and never did. Thinking that I was trying too hard, I just stopped contacting him.

Then thinking about all the possible scenerios to try to get the bike back involved possible confrontations, which made me afraid. So, I put up an ad on CL that mimicked some of the same text of the ad and a manufacturer picture with $100 reward.

A month later or so, someone emails me and says they think they saw it advertised on the Letgo app. A quick search found the bike on Letgo.com and it was clearly my bike. I had swapped some parts out from the stock bike which made it really easy to see it was my bike.

I then filed a supplemental theft report with Ventura PD over a month ago. Calls to VPD to follow up came up with just messages left in voicemail inboxes. I had given up hope.

The detective will be back at work on Tuesday. Other bikes were recovered from the same person.

BTW, always make sure you have the serial number of your bike saved somewhere like in your phone with a picture and backed up in a paper file. Take a picture(s) of you and your bike. This can be very helpful in proving ownership should it get stolen.

Rod

#6 ·
That is such great, amazing news! After all this time, it didn't seem very likely it would be recovered. But you did everything you are supposed to do to get it recovered - and were very lucky, too! Fantastic!

And good advice about what to do BEFORE your bike is stolen. Glad I took that picture of you doing that drop!

#10 ·
UPDATE:

Not using GPS tracker anymore. User annoyance. The steer tube GPS batteries are annoying to take out and replace. I'd rather clean the bathroom than change the batteries and re charge them (lithium 18650)

So what I am going to use and suggest others is to use these:

Bicycle Bike Motorcycle Padlock Alarm Lock Anti Theft Security 110dB Metal US | eBay

It supposed to scream at a 110 db for 15 seconds and do it again if motion is detected again. Methinks 2 of them together may scare off a thief when connected to a chain.

I ordered 2 of them and will give you all my opinion. But the real factor to alleviate
stolen bikes is common sense. Put $5000+ bikes inside, if you are to lock up in your garage use octogon shaped chain link bike chains instead of U locks (they are harder to cut with a bolt cutter and portable grinder)

Thieves at YOUR HOME dont want to stay very long. Because nowadays items are so expensive its easy to get popped with grand thieft charges so they dont carry bolt cutter and grinders, pull out drawers or smash and grab is way faster.

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Bike Chain 1415 and Disc Lock 5' 150cm | eBay

In public places, its a lose lose situation. Thieves with grinders and bolt cutters
can get away with cutting anything because Americans don't care about anything but McDonalds for the kids and not getting involved with anything that doesn't offer money. So f the general public, you and I know they're stupid anyway.

PS--another tip when you HAVE to lock your bike up in public is to remove all the air from your tires. Yes, Brian Lopes, its back to tubes. And with Presta it takes seconds.

#11 ·
Here's what your bike is supposed to look like if you lock it up in your garage or at Starbucks, etc.
YES! 2 flat tires. Only a desperate crackhead or meth whore would spend time wanting to mess with a bike with flat tires.

Laugh if you want, but I will laugh at you if you get your bike stolen and then I ask if you had all the air taken out when it was on your rack or locked up somewhere. I mean it could happen but thieves like things easy.

Unfortunately Stans will be too much of hassle, but Presta is super easy. You have to balance the odds. Do you want tubeless enjoyment or do you want your bike to stick around longer. I need to have this bike stick around longer, the frame itself was $2500 and I had to buy all the other stuff ala carte

Attachments

#13 ·
^ lol

Fatcat - Not all thieves are crackheads riding off on the bike they stole. Thieves who know high end bikes and who are out stealing them often work in groups with trucks and all.

Down in Newport I had a few beach cruisers stolen over the years and when I actually had footage of the thieves stealing one the cops told me they were most likely part of the rings that drive down with trucks and steal several bikes in one go. These were just cheap beach cruisers that they had an organized group stealing night after night.

I'll take my chances with tubeless. ;)

#14 · (Edited)
I'm not saying it will prevent theft but it will make damper those who dont want to carry a bike while running or riding another bike.

My Lenz PBJ weighs 40 lbs, nobody wants to straddle that over their head and run with it, but maybe a 19-22 lbs carbon fiber bike, but again its a preventative measure. Its like this---most singles don't want to go out with obese 350-500 lb people or 65-89lb boney sickly pastey
looking people as well, but if they want to make exceptions, they will. Same thing with carrying away a bike with flat tires.

(dude should have removed the air)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.