Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Beer Please!

Aortic Disection

I doubt anyone noticed, but I have not been contributing to the threads in the last 2.5 weeks. That is because I was in the Hospital. On Saturday July 21st My lower Aorta had a Dissection that sent me to the ER and gave me over 2 weeks in the ICU. The dissection is different from an Anurism, essentially due to genetics I have weak connective tissue, and apparently I also had high blood pressure. This caused the walls of my Aorta to begin separating from each other similar to how an onion skin can peal away under pressure. This caused me some pretty intense pain in my chest at first and then my lower back.

Lucky for me the doctors decided I could heal without surgery. Surgery would of meant cutting our about 20+ inches of my Aorta and replacing it, a very dangerous surgery.

I was put on major blood pressure medication, and am still on quite a few pills to keep my blood pressure low. As long as I can control it though meds and diet the lower pressure should allow my Aorta to heal on its own.

After the doctors were able to control my Blood Pressure with meds for more than 24 hours they gave me the clear to go home. I was released yesterday and slept in my own bed last night. I still have a long way to go, but I am feeling much better than when I first went into the Hospital. I owe my life to the ER crew at the Scripps Encinitas Hospital, and my recovery to the Scripps Green Hospital in La Jolla.

This means no exercise for a while, so my recently rebuilt bike is just gonna sit there in the garage and taunt me...

I hope everyone else here is doing ok.
    Last edited by Klurejr; 05-19-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yikes.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Damn. Speedy healing to you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Wow

hope you get better quick.

I always think about that as I am riding with guys 10 - 20 years my junior. I have no problems keeping up with the most fit but I always wonder if it is just a matter of time before it blows up.

Take care and we hope to see you on the trail again.

Meat Clever
    get better man
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know a couple of sisters who both have the gene for weak connective tissue, and both have aortic aneurisms as a result. As you likely know, they will not repair them until they reach 5cm in most cases, so one has had the surgery, one has not.

They both have many issues wit things like hernias, joint injuries, etc, all related to this particular gene defect.

Hope yours is much more limited. Get well quick.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    That's heavy duty, glad to hear you're on the mend! Healing vibes sent.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Heal and ride once again!

Birthday Collector
    Wow - this took my dad's life a couple of years ago - glad to hear that yours was "caught early" and you can be treated. My dad's episode was major, and while he survived the initial attack, he passed away later after massive surgery. It has me thinking that it is something that I'll have to be aware of for myself over the years coming. Live your life and enjoy all of it you can, and hopefully you'll be back on your bike soon. The fact you ride has probably helped you be able to survive this and will keep you going in future years! Best wishes!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

official eMpTyBRain
    Wow, sorry to hear this. Do you mind talking about it some more...

What was causing the high BP levels?

How high was your BP?

Feel better fast,
    'hawg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Glad to hear your doing well. I work in radiology and see lots of these cases glad to hear yours was caught early. You'll probably have to keep an eye on it for the next few years as the tear in the lining can cause blood to divert away from essential areas if not monitored. But good to hear your doing well. Keeps us posted.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Wow, sorry to hear this. Do you mind talking about it some more...

What was causing the high BP levels?

How high was your BP?

Feel better fast,
    'hawg

I don't mind at all.

I am not 100% sure why my BP was elevated over the past few years. The docs found my left ventral in my heart was thicker than it should be, and that is a sign I had higher BP for a while. I had a physical exam a little over 3 years ago in the process of getting life insurance, and my pressure came in normal back then, 128/80 or something like that.

June 2011 I was 250lbs and started up a Crossfit workout program that I did for about 7 Months. I dropped close to 20lbs plus dropped a large amount of fat and built up some muscle. This past spring I felt better then I had in a very long time, I was able to jump back on the MTB and ride up trails without stopping that would of made me take breaks the year before. Since December I have been a bit more reserved in my exercise. Besides a weekly ride I would hit the gym, run on the treadmill and do some lifting with machines, or my wife and I would take the dogs for a 2 mile hike/walk around Lake Calavera. So I was maintaining my new found good health. I had even changed my diet some over the last year, trying mostly to control my portions and eat less.

When the dissection occurred my BP was around 180 when I got into the ER, The docs say the extra trauma on my body is also keeping the BP higher now even though I am stable due to the massive amount of meds I am on. I am only 34 years old, so they hope with time and continued control of the BP through meds and diet the dissection will heal.

It does seem to act up every day and I have to take pain meds, cause if the pain gets too bad it will cause my BP to rise as well.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wow! Heal up, dude.

As long as yo have this enforced down time / healing time, may I suggest looking at what you can do in terms of lifestyle improvements to manage your blood pressure - lower salt diet, meditation. And do things that make you happy. I know those last two things sound kind of new-agey, but I had some heart issues last year, trivial compared to you, and the above were pretty much the marching orders from my doctor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan View Post
    Wow! Heal up, dude.

As long as yo have this enforced down time / healing time, may I suggest looking at what you can do in terms of lifestyle improvements to manage your blood pressure - lower salt diet, meditation. And do things that make you happy. I know those last two things sound kind of new-agey, but I had some heart issues last year, trivial compared to you, and the above were pretty much the marching orders from my doctor.
    That's not new-agey at all, Harry. I have been teaching Tai Chi and meditation to cardia patients in a major hospital here for the last 10 years. Documented evidence-based studies show that Tai Chi is better at improving VO2 Max numbers than brisk walking, often the "gold-standard" for cardio conditioning in heart patients and seniors.

mtbr member
    A doctor noticed my teenage son exhibiting outward signs of a connective tissue disorder and ordered an echocardiogram to check his aorta. My boy is okay, thank goodness. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Never give up, never surrender.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
    A doctor noticed my teenage son exhibiting outward signs of a connective tissue disorder and ordered an echocardiogram to check his aorta. My boy is okay, thank goodness. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Thanks!

Do you have connective tissue issues in your family? I did, but figured i was young enough to not worry about it and then developed hypertension that lead to the issue. i would just recommend you get your sons blood pressure checked twice a year to watch for signs of it elevating. Have a good one!

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan View Post
    Wow! Heal up, dude.

I am actually on a low calorie low sodium diet already, just glad my wife is a good cook.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Thanks!

Do you have connective tissue issues in your family? I did, but figured i was young enough to not worry about it and then developed hypertension that lead to the issue. i would just recommend you get your sons blood pressure checked twice a year to watch for signs of it elevating. Have a good one!
    Yes, I have symptoms too (lax joints and other issues) and my great uncle died of aortic dissection. I will definitely help my son monitor his BP. We are seeing the cardiologist today.
    Never give up, never surrender.

Beer Please!
    Update!!!

Just got approved by the doc to start riding again!!!! I don't think I can ride at Calavera just yet, too much climbing and rough downhills, but I can do something like Mule Hill or in his words "Lake Hodges" is fine. Now I need to get a new chain for the bike and get my rear deraulier adjusted so I can get back in the saddle!!!!!

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Good luck and take it easy..... very glad to hear another mtbiker is getting back on it!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Congrats! If you're looking for mellow, there's a trail up here in San Juan Cap--Arroyo Trabuco--that's about as flat as they come in Socal. Even if you take it to the end, it gains less than 1000 ft. in 15 miles one-way. Let me know if you'd like to come up and check it out!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Happy to hear you are doing better. Yer young, fer crissakes, you SHOULD get better. Expecially with all those diet and lifestyle changes you've made!

Maybe I'll see you on the trail out at Hodges. I've been laid up for quite a while too, but I believe it's turning around. Unlike yerself, I DON'T have youth on my side.

official eMpTyBRain
    Glad to hear that! Take it slow and don't push it to hard, too soon.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Good to hear your're cleared.
    As for Hodges, don't do the south side! I rode it last Saturday and it ended up being quite the workout (went until I couldn't climb the rock gardens anymore). Keep to the north!
    If not biking, then what?

Ridin' Furry
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Update!!!

Just got approved by the doc to start riding again!!!! I don't think I can ride at Calavera just yet, too much climbing and rough downhills, but I can do something like Mule Hill or in his words "Lake Hodges" is fine. Now I need to get a new chain for the bike and get my rear deraulier adjusted so I can get back in the saddle!!!!!
    Right on man.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast