mtbr member
    Feb 2007

anyone willing to show me the slo trails?

I am finishing my time here in Socal, and have ridden most of the LA area stuff, and will be visiting the slo area. I ride an 08 reign, am a fast rider, and love descents. I also do on trail "safety checks" and will make sure that I am always very safe....I am down for up to 25 miles, and my gear is legit, and I have worked as a mechanic. Any locals want to show me the sweet slo trails?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    while a broken finger is keeping me from actually riding, I'd be happy to give directions to some sweet trails if you like.

my suggestion: Montana del oro state park. super fast, super fun, and probably dialed after the rain we had yesterday.

depending on how long from now you're up here, poly canyon/cuesta ridge stuff would also be good for about a 15-20 mile ride depending on route.

lemme know and i can point you in the right direction

just along for the ride
    Let us know when you are in the area, plenty of great rides here. We just got 1/2 inch of rain so its tacky goodness everywhere for a few days. Must to rides, MdO, Cerro Alto, Cuesta ridge. Out east county its riding time too before the heat sets in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

nice

thanks guys, i will let you know when i have solidified a weekend coming up in the next few weeks, and hit you up. Much appreciated, maps and directions are cool, but local knowledge is the hookup. Let me know if anyone wants to come check out the Santa Monicas, Simi Valley, or the San Gabriels. Good stuff, lots of vert, shuttle rides too, 14 mile dh runs!

just along for the ride
    Just rode MdO, very fast dust free and the newly cut trail around ridge trail called Hazard's Peak trail is a much easier but longer climb (~3 miles vs 2). Parked above horse camp. Pulled up and there was this good looking gal in a PT Cruiser car with a disabled thing on the mirror. Well after a few cripple jokes (yeah so 1980's) we get going, about 2 miles in the climb the cripple dusts us. She was not a cripple, she was fast....

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Just rode MdO, very fast dust free and the newly cut trail around ridge trail called Hazard's Peak trail is a much easier but longer climb (~3 miles vs 2). Parked above horse camp. Pulled up and there was this good looking gal in a PT Cruiser car with a disabled thing on the mirror. Well after a few cripple jokes (yeah so 1980's) we get going, about 2 miles in the climb the cripple dusts us. She was not a cripple, she was fast....
    That trail is the target this Sunday for CCCMB Trailwerks. It needs some more work, and really is easier, although I miss the technical sections on the old Ridge trail (which will remain, I understand). I'm going to be out there sweating and hacking away.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

just along for the ride
    Too bad they can't keep it narrow singletrack, making it horsey friendly (wider) will impact it hard in spots. Ridge was in good shape, we did east boundry down, had only a couple hours to give to the bike. Oh well hopefully those horsey people show up to do some trailk work too

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'd be out to help with trailwork, but the brokenness makes me a bit useless. Its still up in the air as to which of the trails down ridge i like better. the new one is fast and twisty, but the old one is just plain fun blazing haul-ass downhill.

for some reason, i have my doubts that many equestrians will show up for work. its really sad, since they probably do as much if not more damage to the trails than we do. I know i hate going over cow bumps in poly canyon, even 5" of travel cant smooth those things out

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy17
    I'd be out to help with trailwork, but the brokenness makes me a bit useless. Its still up in the air as to which of the trails down ridge i like better. the new one is fast and twisty, but the old one is just plain fun blazing haul-ass downhill.

for some reason, i have my doubts that many equestrians will show up for work. its really sad, since they probably do as much if not more damage to the trails than we do. I know i hate going over cow bumps in poly canyon, even 5" of travel cant smooth those things out
    Sorry to challenge your opinion, but there will be quite a few of them there. They are very active in trail work locally, and very friendly and supportive. From the newsletter: "The BBQ is provided by Pacific Coast Longriders (a local equestrian group)".

We are very fortunate to have one of the best multiple use areas in the state if not the USA. All three groups get along well, and are respectful and courteous. The local rangers state that MdO is the model and envy of other state parks for hassle free multiple use areas.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I was at MdO about a year ago and I have to say that it was great. While I would like there to be less horses there, I can't complain about them. I'd like to go there again, maybe this summer.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    eh, sorry about that. I admit i really didnt know how involved th1e equestrians were. I still maintain that hoof / shoe prints really suck to ride a bike over if they're cast in mud.

I really have nothing against the horses. No negative experiences personally. I have had a fair amount of nasty remarks from hikers though, even though I'm generally curteous and slow down/say hi to them. no clue on that stuff though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think that hikers have the least right to complain about anything, it's not like walking on one side of the trail or standing for a few seconds is going to do anything to their hike. It may kick up a little dust when the biker goes by slowly (which I hope that you guys do), but that shouldn't be anything foreign to them and the small amount shouldn't bother them at all, it's the same as a runner.

BTW, I hike as well.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy17
    eh, sorry about that. I admit i really didnt know how involved th1e equestrians were. I still maintain that hoof / shoe prints really suck to ride a bike over if they're cast in mud.

I really have nothing against the horses. No negative experiences personally. I have had a fair amount of nasty remarks from hikers though, even though I'm generally curteous and slow down/say hi to them. no clue on that stuff though.
    Agreed about the hoof pot holes . That is probably what the hikers think about our ruts. The worst hoof holes I saw this year was right after a big rain, and it was a ranger on horseback doing erosion maintenance on the trail on Wednesday on E. Boundary. He said he wanted to get out early to make sure it was in good shape for the bikers that would be out the coming weekend.

I mentioned the hoof holes, and she said, yes, but they would fill in and it was necessary side effect of using the horse, but the horse let her cover so much more trail to fix it. Six o' one - half dozen of the other.

As far as the grumpy hikers, I look at it that they are not happy people and need something to complain about. They will be grumpy everywhere they go. I just give them room, smile, and wish them a nice rest of the day.
    CCCMB web - Facebook