mtbr member

Anyone up for some Orange County riding next week?

So I'll be in Irvine for some training next week (just coming from San Diego) and it's been about 10 years since I've ridden anything in Orange County other than Fullerton loop. Back in the day when I was in the Marines stationed on the now closed down Tustin Air Base, I remember we used to ride Santiago Canyon quite a bit. Looking at the Google earth map though I'm having trouble seeing if the trail is still there in it's entirety. The section we started from was just north of Rancho Santiago College and from what I see some type of county building is there now.

I've checked out MTB Bills site and see some good stuff, but being pressed for time starting in the evening I don't have a lot of time to explore new stuff going solo. Plus, his stuff isn't the most up-to-date. I was reading through some various threads here and some of the trails seem over grown or changed since he made his reviews.

Anyway, I should be available around 5:30-on. I plan on meeting a buddy from LA at the Fullerton loop at least one of the days, but would really like to get some more technical stuff in as well. Was thinking I'll hit up Harding Truck Trail for a workout, but don't have anything else planned. Or, even if I could get some updates on local trail condition that anyone may ride on a regular basis?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    TR,

So a lot of options up here. Depending on the weather you may want to try some of the coastal rides. Aliso woods has a good variety of trails and you can connect through Laguna Coast Wilderness and El Moro giving many options and potential for 30+ mile rides all very near the coast. If it's cooler like it has been this week, How about San Juan Trail? I live near Cooks Corner and the Whiting-Luge Old Camp loops is still quite good. Sound like you know how to get to Harding so this is in the same area. Blackstar Motorway is a great loop and about 25 miles. Holy Jim would probably be too hot and buggy this time of year, as would Trabuco. If you feel like exploring these options look up some trails on Strava or Geo Ladders. STR is also a good place to post up rides. I'd join you but am riding in Oregon all next week. Sandy Ridge, Bend, Oakridge, etc. :-)