It's not what you think.

Anyone hear of....

trails around Kernville called Bear Creek and Camp Nelson? I'm headed out that way from GA and those are the only 2 I can't find a discription of. Canell Plunge is another we are doing but there is plenty of 411 on that one. If these are on the low low send a PM; I can keep my trap shut.

TIA!

AN <-Southern boy wondering what he's geting in to?!?
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlloyNipples
    trails around Kernville called Bear Creek and Camp Nelson? I'm headed out that way from GA and those are the only 2 I can't find a discription of. Canell Plunge is another we are doing but there is plenty of 411 on that one. If these are on the low low send a PM; I can keep my trap shut.

TIA!

Yes! You can access both trails from Quaking Aspen Campground.

Bear Creek is a beautiful trail and a real backcountry adventure. From Quaking Aspen (7,100 ft.), climb the Summit Trail approximately four miles towards Slate Mountain. This climb can be a real lung-buster at times. Just before you reach the summit, the Bear Creek trail (often referred to as ‘Bear Ridge’ trail) takes off to your right (north). Elevation at this junction is 9,050 ft. The Bear Creek Trail is unmarked and frequently hard to follow. Look for markings or ribbons on trees, and rock piles to guide you along. After about 3-1/2 miles/2,500 ft. of descending, you’ll reach the Belknap Sequoia Grove (6,500 ft.). Another 3-1/2 miles/1,900 ft. of descending brings you to Coy Flat. Take Coy Flat Drive out to Camp Nelson. Then you can take either the Camp Nelson Trail or Hwy 190 back up to Quaking Aspen Campground. Either option is a difficult climb, so it might be preferable to arrange a shuttle to make this a point-to-point ride.

The Camp Nelson Trail is about 3-1/2 miles long, between Quaking Aspen Campground and Camp Nelson. Not long, obviously, but it’s incredibly fun and the scenery is beautiful. As with the Bear Creek Trail, your return route is either back up the trail or up Hwy 190, with an elevation gain of approximately 1,700 ft.

Other rides in the Quaking Aspen area include the Freeman Creek Trail and the portion of the Summit Trail on the opposite side of Hwy. 190. For more details, check out this website: http://www.ponderosaca.com/hike.html

When in Kernville, don’t miss “Just Outstanding Trail”, near Shirley Meadows. The Kern Canyon Trail is another good one, which if arranged with a shuttle, is a 23-mile point-to-point ride with plenty of climbing and descending.

Have a great trip!

It's not what you think.

Thanks!

That is the kind of info I was looking for. Sounds like my kind of rides.

AN

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN
    Yes! You can access both trails from Quaking Aspen Campground.

Bear Creek is a beautiful trail and a real backcountry adventure. From Quaking Aspen (7,100 ft.), climb the Summit Trail approximately four miles towards Slate Mountain. This climb can be a real lung-buster at times. Just before you reach the summit, the Bear Creek trail (often referred to as ‘Bear Ridge’ trail) takes off to your right (north). Elevation at this junction is 9,050 ft. The Bear Creek Trail is unmarked and frequently hard to follow. Look for markings or ribbons on trees, and rock piles to guide you along. After about 3-1/2 miles/2,500 ft. of descending, you’ll reach the Belknap Sequoia Grove (6,500 ft.). Another 3-1/2 miles/1,900 ft. of descending brings you to Coy Flat. Take Coy Flat Drive out to Camp Nelson. Then you can take either the Camp Nelson Trail or Hwy 190 back up to Quaking Aspen Campground. Either option is a difficult climb, so it might be preferable to arrange a shuttle to make this a point-to-point ride.

The Camp Nelson Trail is about 3-1/2 miles long, between Quaking Aspen Campground and Camp Nelson. Not long, obviously, but it’s incredibly fun and the scenery is beautiful. As with the Bear Creek Trail, your return route is either back up the trail or up Hwy 190, with an elevation gain of approximately 1,700 ft.

Other rides in the Quaking Aspen area include the Freeman Creek Trail and the portion of the Summit Trail on the opposite side of Hwy. 190. For more details, check out this website: http://www.ponderosaca.com/hike.html

When in Kernville, don’t miss “Just Outstanding Trail”, near Shirley Meadows. The Kern Canyon Trail is another good one, which if arranged with a shuttle, is a 23-mile point-to-point ride with plenty of climbing and descending.

Have a great trip!
    I bought a book called Southern Sierra Mountain Bike Trails a couple months ago which describes some of these trails at Barnes and Noble in Palmdale. I've ridden some trails near Kennedy Meadows and Kernville but not over by Camp Nelson. When either of you go up to this area please let me know and I'll go with you. I have a big truck for shuttling.

mtbr member
    When you arrive in Kernville, just go to any of the local Adventure/River Rafting outfitters. They will give you some good 411. My wife grew up there, and it is a beautiful place. There is incredible mountain biking up there! Make sure you go to Ewings (her mom used to own it) for an ice cold beer, and don't miss the Pizza Barn! Watch out for the crowd at "the Hut"...there have been fights there every time we go (usually around the big summer holidays).

There is a really good steak house a few miles out of town...the locals can give you directions.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SprSonik
    When you arrive in Kernville, just go to any of the local Adventure/River Rafting outfitters. They will give you some good 411. My wife grew up there, and it is a beautiful place. There is incredible mountain biking up there! Make sure you go to Ewings (her mom used to own it) for an ice cold beer, and don't miss the Pizza Barn! Watch out for the crowd at "the Hut"...there have been fights there every time we go (usually around the big summer holidays).

There is a really good steak house a few miles out of town...the locals can give you directions.
    Well don't just go to any rafting company, if it's Mountain Biking you are into go to Mountain & River Adventures. I think they are still the only one involved in Mountain Biking as opposed to just whitewater.

When did your wife graduate High School if that isn't too personal of a question? I graduated from KV High in 1983. my first job was as a dishwasher at Ewings.

I think the steakhouse you are talking about is McNalley's about 15 miles upriver from Kernville. Going to be having dinner there on Saturday I think.

mtbr member
    I think you are a bit older, Monica graduated in 1992. I think she knows your family...she said the name sounds familiar. You probably saw her running around the restauraunt when she was a little kid She is still hanging out with all of her old Kernville friends, and we go back a couple of times each year.

We should hook up for a ride the next time I head up that way. I usually just golf and jet-ski up there, cuz none of my friends ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Southerner to Southerner

Quote Originally Posted by AlloyNipples

TIA!

AN, did you already go on your trip to kernville? I am headed up there soon and have been noodling around maps and trail descrips to get the lay of the land. I am from Tallahassee originally, but living in Santa Barbara since late eighties - I don't miss the flatlands, but the people I sure do. Anyhow, hope the trip was good and any heads up 411 would be helpful. Hope your face is still split with that lopsided sierra smile!

It's not what you think.
    Not yet, I head out that way on the 30th - 4th. I spent 5 yrs in Tally...Go NOLES! Who says there isn't any mtn biking in FL!?!? Anyhow, I really look forward to the trip. We went out last year and did the SoCal Favorites; SART, SJT, Nobel Canyon, Aliso Woods, Whitting...ect. We're working our way up the state.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SprSonik
    I think you are a bit older, Monica graduated in 1992. I think she knows your family...she said the name sounds familiar. You probably saw her running around the restauraunt when she was a little kid She is still hanging out with all of her old Kernville friends, and we go back a couple of times each year.

We should hook up for a ride the next time I head up that way. I usually just golf and jet-ski up there, cuz none of my friends ride

Yeah my family is pretty well entrenched up there. My dad has lived there since 1975, and my grandparents since the 60's.

I worked at Ewings right around 1980 so I am not sure the same people owned it then. I know it has changed hands a few times since then. My nephew works there now washing dishes.. LOL.

Anyway let me know when you are going up, I probably do more motorcycle riding than anything, but I've got a jetski up there as well and of course I usually bring my bike too.