mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Anyone have any info on the Red Bull rampage in Malibu this weekend?

The Red Bull site has not been updated and after a google search all i know is that it's a downhill roadbike race with brian lopes and john tomac in attendance. All I could find was an article in Velonews stating that it will take place on 11/5 in Malibu. Any info would be appreciated. TIA

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by V E E R
    The Red Bull site has not been updated and after a google search all i know is that it's a downhill roadbike race with brian lopes and john tomac in attendance. All I could find was an article in Velonews stating that it will take place on 11/5 in Malibu. Any info would be appreciated. TIA
    Apparently, no spectators allowed. There's a thread on Ridemonkey(link).

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Email from RedBull

This is what RedBull emailed us when we asked about the RoadRage

"Thanks for your interest in Red Bull Road Rage.

Unfortunately, due to the limited viewing area, RoadRage is not a spectator friendly event. We will be posting race results, photos, video on the Red Bull Road Rage website immediately following the event on Saturday."

Sucks cause we had planned our Saturday around the event. I guess we're riding now

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

What A Joke

What a bunch of wankers. An event without spectators.

I wonder if the racers were told that there will be no spectators??? How do they feel about that!

I don't think John Tomac is attending. He was invited. The website had a list of confirmed racers which he was not in but they seem to have taken it down. I can no longer find it.

They finally put in bold red letters "For the safety of the riders, the event is closed to the public". That was not there before and you really had to dig to realize that you are not invited! I was going to go and I couldn't find the time and location so I had to dig...and that's when I found out public was not invited.

The race is on a public road though...they can close the road to car traffic but I doubt they can legally stop anyone from walking up the road or congregate at the finish line.

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic

The race is on a public road though...they can close the road to car traffic but I doubt they can legally stop anyone from walking up the road or congregate at the finish line.
    You can restrict anyone on any road with the right permit. I was going to crash it but now I think I might just ignore it and whatever videos they post afterward in protest. I wouldn't be surprised if the big after- party was closed to the public as well.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    I just got off the phone with one of the guys hosting the event. The course is closed to spectators for their own safety and for the safety of the riders. You can park on PCH and watch the finish. That is no problem.

I'm guessing there might be a singletrack or two that can get up the road a little bit.

I have to work this weekend otherwise I would be there with hiking shoes on.

enjoy the event.
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I don't think they are encouraging people to even congregate at the finished line. In fact, they are discouraging people to go. At least that is what my email response sounded like to me.

I don't know where the finish line is but if it ends on PCH there is probably not much space for a big crowd so they are not encouraging spectators.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Wow, this whole event sounds more like some retarded extreme sports video shoot than a bike race.

Dirtmistress

How lame

Is right!
    Ever been on Tuna Cyn? It is sooooo steep and twisty and narrow. There isnt a whole lot of room for hay bales (which should be 6 ft. high) let alone spectators. There's no other way up. I saw a single track once but it looked very unused and is probably overgrown by now.
    When you look over the cliffs in Tuna, you can see cars in the canyon below,waaay down there. I used to drive down it after I'd finish work in Topanga and sometimes weve gone down on our bikes and it is just sick! Brutal on the hands. Still, I think the whole event is lame. One section they can hit 70 I'll bet, but then on the very next switchback they'll have to scrub off so much speed to be safe, and it's so narrow, then stand and crank for about 50 ft to the next turn..*yawnn* Well that's just my opinion and I'm sure I'll be proven wrong..which is also fine. I'll watch the video. I sure hope thses guys know what they are getting into though. Flying down Latigo wouldve been better in my opinion. All those great turns. I love it!!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmistress
    Flying down Latigo wouldve been better in my opinion. All those great turns. I love it!!
    Yum, Latigo. I need to get a new road bike.

where are we eating?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Close Latigo?

You have to be joking... how would I get my Juicy Sweats-clad fanny to Cross Creek for that important 8-11am Coffee Bean rendezvous?

JMH

Is right!
    Ever been on Tuna Cyn? It is sooooo steep and twisty and narrow. There isnt a whole lot of room for hay bales (which should be 6 ft. high) let alone spectators. There's no other way up. I saw a single track once but it looked very unused and is probably overgrown by now.
    When you look over the cliffs in Tuna, you can see cars in the canyon below,waaay down there. I used to drive down it after I'd finish work in Topanga and sometimes weve gone down on our bikes and it is just sick! Brutal on the hands. Still, I think the whole event is lame. One section they can hit 70 I'll bet, but then on the very next switchback they'll have to scrub off so much speed to be safe, and it's so narrow, then stand and crank for about 50 ft to the next turn..*yawnn* Well that's just my opinion and I'm sure I'll be proven wrong..which is also fine. I'll watch the video. I sure hope thses guys know what they are getting into though. Flying down Latigo wouldve been better in my opinion. All those great turns. I love it!!

Dirtmistress

Mmm..tasty!

"juicy sweat clad fanny." ?? Fanny? Do guys have fannys?
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

taxi mechanic
    "juicy sweat clad fanny." ?? Fanny? Do guys have fannys?
    fanny is translate to else in europe compare to what means in usa.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

they wouldn't even let us watch at the finish

The place was like Fort Knox, but we did end up riding down tuna right after 4 oclock. They still had some of the pads up and hay bails. Would have been fun to watch...

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by PomonaKona
    The place was like Fort Knox, but we did end up riding down tuna right after 4 oclock. They still had some of the pads up and hay bails. Would have been fun to watch...
    Well, now I'm definitely glad I did Cheesybro instead.

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PomonaKona
    ha ha, i beat you going down the hill. Socks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Article about the day's events here:

http://www.velonews.com/race/dom/articles/9135.0.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by yiucycle
    ha ha, i beat you going down the hill. Socks
    Damn no power steering, no brakes datsun trucks!

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    Yum, Latigo. I need to get a new road bike.
    Check!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warthog
    Article about the day's events here:

http://www.velonews.com/race/dom/articles/9135.0.html
    Some Photos