Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    35

    New question here. Anyone ever ride George's Gap in Angeles

    Went and did the Chilaio Loop and Red Box to Switzer yesterday and saw a trailhead called George's Gap off of the Vista turnout. It was located about 3 - 5 miles or so below Switzer and looked like it connected to the road that leads to Palmdale. Does anyone know if this trail is rideable?
    Not much info on it in any of the books I have or the trail revies section.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Reputation: mtnfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,703

    Sorry, But A Question For You

    I rode the Chilao Loop today. I'm interested in how you rode from Chilao to Red Box. I've seen that the Silver Moccasin Trail takes you that direction from the road to Vetter, there's also the trail from Loomis Ranch. Do tell.
    Last edited by mtnfiend; 11-07-2004 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Incorrect ranch name, Loomis Not Colby

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    35

    Well it wasn't one complete ride

    We took two cars, dropped one off at Switzer and then drove up to Charalton Flats, did that little trail to warm up, then rode up the 2 to Chilaio and did the loop. I think it was about 6 miles all together. Then we drove to redbox and just went dh to switzer.


    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    I rode the Chilao Loop today. I'm interested in how you rode from Chilao to Red Box. I've seen that the Silver Moccasin Trail takes you that direction from the road to Vetter, there's also the trail from Colby Ranch. Do tell.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JimN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by ouch
    Went and did the Chilaio Loop and Red Box to Switzer yesterday and saw a trailhead called George's Gap off of the Vista turnout. It was located about 3 - 5 miles or so below Switzer and looked like it connected to the road that leads to Palmdale. Does anyone know if this trail is rideable?
    Not much info on it in any of the books I have or the trail revies section.

    Thanks!
    Yes, it's rideable. If you descend from the vista turnout, you'll connect to the bottom of the Hoyt Mountain trail, another little-known but very fun singletrack. There are several very tight switchbacks to negotiate, and a steep, rocky roll-in to the Hoyt intersection. If you turn right onto the Hoyt trail, you'll drop down to a stream crossing (usually dry) and climb out to a paved road that leads to an outdoor education school. Go right onto this paved road and you'll climb out to the road that connects Angeles Crest to Angeles Forest Highway (to Palmdale). Go right onto this road and you'll climb back out to Angeles Crest, at the Clear Creek Ranger Station.

    The George's Gap trail can be ridden in either direction. Here are two routes that I would recommend:

    Park at the vista turnout. Ride back down Angeles Crest to the next major turnout, which is where you access the Grizzly Flat fireroad. Go around the gate and climb up the fireroad until you reach an intersection at a big flat spot. The fireroad makes a 180-degree turn here, but you want to bear right onto the lesser-used fireroad (almost grown back into a singletrack). Climb up this road/trail, and after topping out, you'll start descending the Hoyt Mountain trail. You'll traverse some exposed slopes covered with chunks of granite, and then dive back into the forest. After passing through a couple of tree tunnel sections, start looking for the George's Gap trail on the right. It's very difficult to spot, so you'll probably miss it and find yourself at a creek crossing (usually dry). Turn around and head back up the trail a short distance, looking for the entrance to the George's Gap trail on the left. Go left and climb back out to the vista turnout. You'll have to hike-a-bike a short portion near the bottom, but the rest of the trail is rideable. One of the switchbacks is nearly impossible to clean. The rest are very challenging but doable.

    For a longer route that descends the George's Gap trail, park at the Grizzly Flat turnout. As described above, ride up to the top and descend the Hoyt Mountain trail. Bypass the George's Gap trail and continue on Hoyt, dropping down to the stream crossing and climbing out to the paved road. Go right and climb back out to the Crest/Forest Highway connector. Go right and climb back up to Angeles Crest at Clear Creek Station. Go right onto Angeles Crest and descend to the vista turnout. Descend the George's Gap trail back to the Hoyt Mountain trail intersection. Go left and re-trace your route back up the Hoyt Mountain trail, and then back down to where you parked.

    By the way, the Hoyt Mountain loop combines nicely with the Strawberry Peak loop. Makes for an excellent 24-mile ride.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    35

    Thanks Much, Jim

    Looks like a ride I'm going to have to tackle. I appreciate the detailed response.

    Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by JimN
    Yes, it's rideable. If you descend from the vista turnout, you'll connect to the bottom of the Hoyt Mountain trail, another little-known but very fun singletrack. There are several very tight switchbacks to negotiate, and a steep, rocky roll-in to the Hoyt intersection. If you turn right onto the Hoyt trail, you'll drop down to a stream crossing (usually dry) and climb out to a paved road that leads to an outdoor education school. Go right onto this paved road and you'll climb out to the road that connects Angeles Crest to Angeles Forest Highway (to Palmdale). Go right onto this road and you'll climb back out to Angeles Crest, at the Clear Creek Ranger Station.

    The George's Gap trail can be ridden in either direction. Here are two routes that I would recommend:

    Park at the vista turnout. Ride back down Angeles Crest to the next major turnout, which is where you access the Grizzly Flat fireroad. Go around the gate and climb up the fireroad until you reach an intersection at a big flat spot. The fireroad makes a 180-degree turn here, but you want to bear right onto the lesser-used fireroad (almost grown back into a singletrack). Climb up this road/trail, and after topping out, you'll start descending the Hoyt Mountain trail. You'll traverse some exposed slopes covered with chunks of granite, and then dive back into the forest. After passing through a couple of tree tunnel sections, start looking for the George's Gap trail on the right. It's very difficult to spot, so you'll probably miss it and find yourself at a creek crossing (usually dry). Turn around and head back up the trail a short distance, looking for the entrance to the George's Gap trail on the left. Go left and climb back out to the vista turnout. You'll have to hike-a-bike a short portion near the bottom, but the rest of the trail is rideable. One of the switchbacks is nearly impossible to clean. The rest are very challenging but doable.

    For a longer route that descends the George's Gap trail, park at the Grizzly Flat turnout. As described above, ride up to the top and descend the Hoyt Mountain trail. Bypass the George's Gap trail and continue on Hoyt, dropping down to the stream crossing and climbing out to the paved road. Go right and climb back out to the Crest/Forest Highway connector. Go right and climb back up to Angeles Crest at Clear Creek Station. Go right onto Angeles Crest and descend to the vista turnout. Descend the George's Gap trail back to the Hoyt Mountain trail intersection. Go left and re-trace your route back up the Hoyt Mountain trail, and then back down to where you parked.

    By the way, the Hoyt Mountain loop combines nicely with the Strawberry Peak loop. Makes for an excellent 24-mile ride.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 01:42 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 10:15 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:45 AM
  4. Upcoming BTCEB Rides
    By D.Ambrose in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:46 AM
  5. Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 05:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •