mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. Anyone do tune-ups repairs in Pasadena area?

I really can't afford one at my LBC, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to DIY. I'm looking for a tune-up and hydraulic brake adjustment. Thanks for the help guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    who's your LBS?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by banksd1983
    who's your LBS?
    incycle pasadena or performance. a lil pricey to tune and adjust hydraulics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Bicycle station 4-5 miles south-west of the rose bowl.
    323 256 0703

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by kristoffer
    I really can't afford one at my LBC, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to DIY. I'm looking for a tune-up and hydraulic brake adjustment. Thanks for the help guys!
    What exactly do you need done and what kind of brakes are they?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skate
    What exactly do you need done and what kind of brakes are they?
    the bike isn't shifting right, so derailleur, and brake bleed (hayes comp hydraulics). can you help?

Specialized Rida
    the bike isn't shifting right, so derailleur, and brake bleed (hayes comp hydraulics). can you help?
    I don't live in pasadena so unless you want to come here to orange county, there won't be much I can except maybe talk you through it.

Which derailleur? What does your brakes do or not do?

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Open Road on Sierra Madre just north of Colorado. The place may look like a mess, though someone was in there cleaning up this weekend, and Steve may seem a little weird at first, but I HIGHLY recommend his shop. He will get you up and running cheaply. He has tons of old parts and really know is stuff. He is not all caught up in the new, flashy, whatever stuff on the market. Plus Foes makes their bikes out back.

Whatever you do please do not go to Performance to get your bike worked on. Pasadena Cyclery on Walnut, InCycle on Colorado are other good places.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skate
    I don't live in pasadena so unless you want to come here to orange county, there won't be much I can except maybe talk you through it.

Which derailleur? What does your brakes do or not do?
    where in the OC? my brother lives in orange, i'm there every other weekend. i think the front derailleur is bent? could be both, i can't tell. there seems to be fluid leaking from the front brake lever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    incycle pasadena or performance. a lil pricey to tune and adjust hydraulics.
    another reason not to go to incycle, their labor prices can easily be beat. Took my frame and headset in, 3 minutes later it was pressed, for $25. A custom wheelset also would have cost me $240 more there than at another shop. Still baffles me, and until then I was somewhat of a regular. I attempted to give Velo Pasadena (on Colorado somewhere) another shot after a horrible first and only experience (got my first bike there a few months back). Brought in a build of my own and had them adjust the front and rear derailleur for $10. They're mostly a road shop though and their in store selection sucks, but their service dept rocks.

Also, that Open Road mentioned above I've heard great things about as well. I'd start with them first.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I love open road! You can find some gems in that mess of a store.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Steve is the mad scientist of bike guys. He is working on an interesting pedal system, wheel, and stem. He is quite a character.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    awesome. thanks guys, i'll try open road tomorrow. incycle/performance is just too pricey.

Specialized Rida
    where in the OC? my brother lives in orange, i'm there every other weekend. i think the front derailleur is bent? could be both, i can't tell. there seems to be fluid leaking from the front brake lever.
    I live in fullerton, but just so you'll know the Path bike shop in tustin is having a crazy sale on sunday and free tune ups. maybe you should check it and get it worked on from the baddest shop in SoCal.

mtbr member
    Invest in tools. I build my own bikes. I have xtr hydrolics and i assembled it my self. Bicycle repair should be easy! For $80 you can get a pretty nice tool kit for bikes. The hardest part for me is setting the rear derailer. I do all my own work and my bike is so dam smooth on the trail, i love it. My bikes get extra special treatment, they even have their own bedroom.

This weather really sucks, i wish it was hot out and i am riding across el morro canyon. I can see the heat waves comming up off the trail in front of me, it is distorting the horizon. My camel pack is full of ice cubes and brita filtered water and i drink from it continuosly to ward off heat-stroke. Rattle snakes are lying in the road as they are very common in El Morro Canyon. I want to bunny hop one when i have the speed but i am usually caught off gaurd when i spot one. I am not wearing my i pod today because i want to get lost in the natural surroundings and cut off all means of civilization, exept for my highly evolved xc bike.

Dam i hate winter!