I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Anybody toss the big ring?

The 29er HT I have been riding is set up as a 1X9 and I really like the way it works for most of the riding I will ever do on that bike. However, I am planning an FS 29er and it will have a granny for sure.

I was pondering not running a big chainring on the FS. Right now on my other bikes I use the big ring mostly to take up chain slack on fast DHs but I also like it for pedaling out of fast corners. Since I don't blaze the dhs as much as when I was younger, I was thinking of keeping it 2X9 and enjoying a tighter chain and possibly shorter rear der.

Since this decision is based a lot on the terrain in which one rides, I was wondering if any So Cal folks had dropped the big ring and lived with it that way?
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    The 29er HT I have been riding is set up as a 1X9 and I really like the way it works for most of the riding I will ever do on that bike. However, I am planning an FS 29er and it will have a granny for sure.

I was pondering not running a big chainring on the FS. Right now on my other bikes I use the big ring mostly to take up chain slack on fast DHs but I also like it for pedaling out of fast corners. Since I don't blaze the dhs as much as when I was younger, I was thinking of keeping it 2X9 and enjoying a tighter chain and possibly shorter rear der.

Since this decision is based a lot on the terrain in which one rides, I was wondering if any So Cal folks had dropped the big ring and lived with it that way?
    I do on one of my bikes. With an 11-34 casset you are only really loosing 2 gears. So unless you mash 3x9 on the downhills I doubt you will even notice it missing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Big rings are dying

I do not have a ring bigger than 36 T on any of my bikes (except road). I ride 2 by 9, 1 by 9, or 1 by 1 only.

If I were building a bike for serious xc race or short track, it would have a big ring. I do not think it makes sense on a trail bike or AM bike.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I did not add specifics as to the use, but no racing, just trail bike. I think I will give it a whirl. I can always add it later if I miss it.

I was even thinking of running a bigger than 32 middle maybe like 36/26 or 34/24 (if you can get 34s) if I can push the grannygear. Need to ride an SS more to toughen up some!

I pretty much never use the big ring and one of the 2 smallest cogs unless I am spinning down a paved DH return, etc.

Thanks.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have dropped the big ring in favor of a bash ring on my Giant Reign and don't miss it at all. I can still spin out in the low 20's if I feel the need and only do that in the right circumstances (slightly downhill). Any faster than that, gravity will have to do it's thing or I'm content to just coast.

Goofing off?
    I would like to have one but the scars on my right calf say otherwise.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Dropped the big ring years ago and never miss it. I'm planning on dropping my small ring on my new 29er HT like you. It is an experiment but I think it will stay.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I swapped my 44t for a 39t. Ended up using it a bunch more. I ride TO the trailhead a bit, so gotta have the big ring for the street sections.

Was that a Bobcat?
    I only used the big ring on the street as well, so I dropped it about a year ago and have nevered missed it sinced. I say go for it.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

http://www.travbuddy.com/widget_map_...php?id=3291361

Front Range, Colorado
    I have been wanting to drop my big ring for awhile now for better ground clearance. But my fairly new circa 2002 XTR crankset the rings are as a set and not able to seperate. I am hesitant at dropping the coin for a new crankset just to drop the big ring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Among the trail riders I know who ride at least twice a week or more, I am one of 2 that still sports a big ring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I don't have a big ring on any of my bikes (unless you count the compact double chainring on my roadie).

Dos Niner 1x9 (28T chain ring)
    Surly 1x1 (self explanatory)
    Enduro (2x9 with small/middle ring)
    Demo 7 (32T ring only)

I don't miss it. If I was racing DH on my Enduro I might, but by the time I'm done with my DH runs on my Demo, I can barely pedal the 32T to the finish.

just along for the ride
    Two reasons to keep big ring: if you ever hit the pavement its great to get off of it ASAP. Also I find climbing over logs easier, work like cleats on the wood. Otherwise I don't us it much.

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Two reasons to keep big ring: if you ever hit the pavement its great to get off of it ASAP. Also I find climbing over logs easier, work like cleats on the wood. Otherwise I don't us it much.
    I agree but I found a solution?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

I lost the big ring and use a cheap big ring that is 2 teeth bigger than the middle
    chain ring as a light bash guard.
    Mitch
    Boise