"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Anybody know what happened at Lake Hodges this evening?

Does anybody know what happened at North Lake Hodges this evening around 5:30? I was coming home from work and saw a couple of ambulances and fire trucks on the freeway with the gate open to access the road going around the lake. Then I saw a helicopter flying in low. I presume somebody got hurt on the trail rather than on the lake but it could be anything I guess. Anybody have a clue?

Michael

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    Go to www.10news.com. Looks like a 22 year old woman mountain biker fell and was knocked out. She was flown to the hospital by a sheriffs helicopter. Hope she is okay.

Sober for now...
    It looked like it was at the base of the Mt. Bernardo climb. Right at the begining of the new switchbacks they installed.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    New switchbacks? Please expand.....
    If not biking, then what?

Lord of the Chainrings
    Here's the article: http://www.10news.com/news/13247681/detail.html

I was watching Channel 8 News and they showed the scene from their helicoptor.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Yeah....but were you able to catch a glimpse of the new switchbacks from the aerial shot? Where are they? Are they good?
    If not biking, then what?

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    Yeah....but were you able to catch a glimpse of the new switchbacks from the aerial shot? Where are they? Are they good?
    I know where they are. I rode there a few months ago, and they were under construction, and littered with cactus to prevent bikers, don't know if there open yet. I park on the East side of the 5 and go west; if you come down Bernardo Mt, and continue heading West, there's a portion of the trail that will run into the road. It's one of those trails; I think they pulled up a bunch of the rocks, and smoothed it out.

ANYWAY, any news on the injured female up there? I can't help but think it was someone from here, does anyone remember the "Lets ride Hodges/Daley/RP Wednesday night after work" thread?

Phil from San Diego
    I would have guessed someone was bitten by a rattle snake since I've started to see them out..

Hope that rider is ok and the fall wasn't too bad.

Ya, right.
    The switchbacks are very tame. There's only 2 and they are doubletrack wide and free of any rocks. They are smooth and boring. I prefer the route they closed to make the switchbacks. As if Hodges wasn't lame enough, they go and close a short but rocky section to blaze 2 switchbacks you could run a wheelchair up and down. With that and the section past Hernandez still closed, I don't ride there near as much as I used to.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke
    The switchbacks are very tame. There's only 2 and they are doubletrack wide and free of any rocks. They are smooth and boring. I prefer the route they closed to make the switchbacks. As if Hodges wasn't lame enough, they go and close a short but rocky section to blaze 2 switchbacks you could run a wheelchair up and down. With that and the section past Hernandez still closed, I don't ride there near as much as I used to.
    LOL!! I was going to say that the switchbacks are wheelchair accessible as well, and there is even a hand rail around the whole thing to boot! I ran into the San Dieguito River Park
    workers when they were building this piece of work. I asked them when they were putting
    the pavement in. I also asked why they were sanatizing every single piece of singletrack that remained (they had just ruined a piece of singletrack that was close to the freeway - making it 4 feet wide and putting waterbars in every 6 feet). As for the switchbacks - I was told by one of the workers that came down and talked to me - people were cutting the trail from Felicita creek up to the upper trail that lead to Bernardo Mountain......so
    instead of having all these random trails being cut they decided to build the switchbacks
    and close the main rocky fire road. This is something I don't understand....why close
    the established fire road? I have been riding that road for the past 20 years and I am sure
    that it had been there long before I ever road on it. They build a new trail and spend all kinds of money and time grading up the road, placing rocks and cactus on it trying to re-establish it? What a waste....if the trail was there before they took over managing the land
    leave it alone!!!! As for the sanatizing of the trails by the freeway....the guy told me that
    since they are putting a bicycle/pedestrian bridge in across the lake that the new sanatized trail would be the main trail while construction is going on. Go to www.sdrp.org and see the wonderful plans to build the bridge across the lake.
    Its seems to me that they could have saved alot of money by putting the pedestrian/bicycle bridge right under the new freeway bridge they are building??!! The worker also mentioned that a trail is already complete that goes through the Crosby Estates and a bridge is being built below the dam to link Hodges up with this trail and that they are working on the trail from the dam to this bridge as we speak. This section will not be opened for a while due to the construction by the dam but their plan is a trail from the coast to Julian or beyond. They have already started building the bridge and you can see it from Del Dios Hwy about 1 mile down from the dam. Looks like a major bridge that
    will cost alot of $$$$.

Ya, right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SKULLY
    the guy told me that since they are putting a bicycle/pedestrian bridge in across the lake that the new sanatized trail would be the main trail while construction is going on. Go to www.sdrp.org and see the wonderful plans to build the bridge across the lake.
    Its seems to me that they could have saved alot of money by putting the pedestrian/bicycle bridge right under the new freeway bridge they are building??
    Go to http://www.sdrp.org/projects/Lake%20...s%20Bridge.htm to see the plans. Looks unnecessarily elaborate to me. I guess that's our tax dollars at work.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    They're doing a ton of work out there. The thing is, anytime a NEW trail is constructed, it has to be 4' wide MINIMUM, so we'll see a lot of stuff that has to mature-in and get better. Don't worry, it always does.

mtbr member
    +1. Whats next, those horizontal escalator/people mover things that airports have? Now to get any type of real miles in, I have to ride South side first, then go out east, over Mule to the orange groves and back.

Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke