mtbr member

Anybody know if a good bike rental place in Bakersfield?

Does anyone know of a place to rent a mid-priced full suspension bike in Bakersfield? I'm considering flying in and doing the Cannell Plunge and am having problems finding a convenient bike shop that rents decent bikes. Any suggestions are welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamerider
    Does anyone know of a place to rent a mid-priced full suspension bike in Bakersfield? I'm considering flying in and doing the Cannell Plunge and am having problems finding a convenient bike shop that rents decent bikes. Any suggestions are welcome.
    I'm not familiar with the options in Bakersfield, but I think the most convenient route would be to rent from Mountain & River Adventures in Kernville. Front suspension bikes are $30.00 a day, and full suspension bikes are $45.00 a day. I don't know for sure what their rental fleet consists of. Call 'em to find out. 760-376-6553
    Price schedule here: http://www.mtnriver.com/rental.htm

They also offer shuttles to Sherman Pass (Top of Cannell) for $25.00 (minimum of 4).
    See other options here: http://www.mtnriver.com/bike.html

Good luck and have a great ride!

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks. I contacted Mountain & River Adventures and they said that all they have are front suspension bikes. I'll give them a call again.

LR

mtbr dismember

Their site says full suspension available

Did you talk to them or just email them? They are very poor at answering their email. You could always rent a hard tail. Is it that much hassle to bring your own?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Did you talk to them or just email them? They are very poor at answering their email. You could always rent a hard tail. Is it that much hassle to bring your own?
    I am pretty sure they only rent hardtails although it's been awhile since I have been there and I heard they have aquired new batch of bikes in the interim.

Not sure when you are planning on going but I am doing Cannel this weekend (via MRA shuttle) so I can take a look for you while I am at the shop and provide a detailed description of what they have on Monday if you are still interested.

mtbr member

Thanks, gmaki.

Thanks, gmaki. That would be great if you have time. I called them and they said they have a Gary Fisher Joshua X0 in my size (XL). I beleive it's an old bike, but if it had been maintained, that would be OK.

Whatever info you come back with will be very much appreciated.

Thanks again.

LR

banned
    Thanks, gmaki. That would be great if you have time. I called them and they said they have a Gary Fisher Joshua X0 in my size (XL). I beleive it's an old bike, but if it had been maintained, that would be OK.

Thanks again.

LR
    Oh it's no problem I will be spending some time at MRA at some point over the weekend so it won't be any trouble for me to find out what they've got packed away in the back. I'll give you the lowdown on what they've got in XL on Monday.

banned

Thanks again.

LR
    lamerider, dude I owe you an apology. I didn't forget about you while I was up there but I was so busy the whole time I never got to find out for you. I thought I would stop at MRA when I got up there because my buddy needed some help with his shock and I was going to ask Rob (their bike mechanic) for some help. The shop was closed and we ended up going to his house instead. So I never did end up at MRA.

Worse yet, John who owns MRA was on the ride with us on the Sunday ride but he was so far ahead of me the whole time I almost never saw him, and never had time to ask him about his bikes.

Anyway I feel like quite the schmuck right now and I am really sorry.

We did stop at a good sized bicycle shop in Bakersfield (with lot's of high end Mountain Bikes) called Snider's. It's on Union Ave right by the 178 so it's right on the way up to Lake Isabella. They may have rentals or at least might be able to refer you to someone who does in B-town.

Snider's Cyclery
    2700 Union Ave.
    Bakersfield, CALIFORNIA 93305
    Phone: 661-324-4759

mtbr member

Thanks anyway!

Man, don't put yourself on a guilt trip! Thanks for thinking about it. Yes, I understand how those things happen. You are kind of at mercy to what the group does in those circumstances. No choice but to go with the flow.

Thanks again. I’ll contact Snider's Cyclery and check it out. For now, I bit the bullet and shipped my bike out. I CANNOT WAIT to ride the Cannel Plunge (Saturday).

LR
    I’d rather die while I’m living than live while I’m dead - JB

mtbr dismember

You got bike!

You got bike! Just came in and is safely tucked away in my living room. See you tomorrow afternoon. Weather looks spectacular! People will regret not joining us on this one.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    You got bike! Just came in and is safely tucked away in my living room. See you tomorrow afternoon. Weather looks spectacular! People will regret not joining us on this one.

Cool you guys. Looks like you are going to have much better weather than we did. It should be absolutely perfect.

I hope you have some pics to post when you get back and maybe even another video...

Here's another pic from last weekend to help build the anticipation...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr dismember

Spectacular forecast

Weather looks like it will be perfect. Hopefully I'll post some photos and video by Sunday night.