Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    111

    Anybody ever ride the mountains around Cajon Pass?

    I've been driving through there fairly regulary lately, and I can't tell if there are any rideable paths or not from the freeway. Anybody know?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    223
    Cajon Pass San Diego - or San Bernardino/San Gabriel Mountains?

    Anyway, I know there are some trails in the Lake Morena area and it appears as though there would be rideable stuff in the general area - though many of the trails in that area are off-road vehicle use.

    Dunno too much about the northern "Cajon Pass" except that there's some pretty cool terrain up there.

    Wow, that wasn't too helpful - I should've just kept my mouth shut

  3. #3
    Just passing through....
    Reputation: DaFireMedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by fantom1
    I've been driving through there fairly regulary lately, and I can't tell if there are any rideable paths or not from the freeway. Anybody know?
    I live right near there. The only trails that I know of are a few miles away from the freeway, up Highway 138. Theres some up by Mountain High ski resort, then some the other way toward Silverwood lake. I couldn't tell you how they are as I haven't ridden them, just read about them on trail websites. There's Jackson Lake loop and the Blue Ridge trail near Wrightwood, as well as a loop around Silverwood lake. Blue Ridge is supposed to be really nice. All of these are within about 20-30 minutes of the freeway. I know of no trails right off of the freeway though. There may be some, but I wouldn't know where they are.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    111
    Juliius ---I'm talking about the Cajon Pass off the I-15 San Bernidino mtns.

    Hrrmm, maybe sometime I'll just get off at the closest exit there (Deore? or something like that?) and take a short ride, hikeabike if I need to. Off course that's a long way to drive for nothing. Thanks for the info on the other rides though!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SScheetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    200

    Wrightwood trails

    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    I live right near there. The only trails that I know of are a few miles away from the freeway, up Highway 138. Theres some up by Mountain High ski resort, then some the other way toward Silverwood lake. I couldn't tell you how they are as I haven't ridden them, just read about them on trail websites. There's Jackson Lake loop and the Blue Ridge trail near Wrightwood, as well as a loop around Silverwood lake. Blue Ridge is supposed to be really nice. All of these are within about 20-30 minutes of the freeway. I know of no trails right off of the freeway though. There may be some, but I wouldn't know where they are.
    I have ridden several times in the Wrightwood area. The Blue Ridge trail is good, but itís only about 2 miles. It connects to a dirt road, following that leads to other trails. There are good loop options. I have also ridden trails on Table Mountain; this is the mountain across from Mountain High with the observatories on top.

    If anyone know of, or discovers good trails closer to Cajon Pass, please post. Always looking for new terrain.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    333

    SouthFork -Jackson Lake-Blue Ridge

    Quote Originally Posted by SScheetz
    If anyone know of, or discovers good trails closer to Cajon Pass, please post. Always looking for new terrain.
    I'm looking at the San Bernadino Mtns Rec Topo Map and it indicates a 26 mile point to point shuttle ride or 26 mile out and back(turn around at midpoint). Trail head is located off of junction of Lytle Creek Road and 1N34, 1.7 miles North of I15. It appears to be a fire road climb with a singletrack downhill on the shuttle option.

    Anyone taken Blue Ridge trail over to Lytle Creek? I'll be riding South Fork to Jackson Lake to Blue Ridge and then back to South Fork via Manzanita Trail. If you want to join this ride let me know.

    Martin

  7. #7
    Just passing through....
    Reputation: DaFireMedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbski
    I'm looking at the San Bernadino Mtns Rec Topo Map and it indicates a 26 mile point to point shuttle ride or 26 mile out and back(turn around at midpoint). Trail head is located off of junction of Lytle Creek Road and 1N34, 1.7 miles North of I15. It appears to be a fire road climb with a singletrack downhill on the shuttle option.

    Anyone taken Blue Ridge trail over to Lytle Creek? I'll be riding South Fork to Jackson Lake to Blue Ridge and then back to South Fork via Manzanita Trail. If you want to join this ride let me know.

    Martin
    When you doing the ride?

    I've driven from Lytle Creek to Rancho Cucamonga in a 4 wheel drive truck on the fire road that runs off of Sierra Ave just before entering Cajon Pass. Its roughly 28 miles. It'd be a tough haul on an MTB, but it could be done. Another problem is that its on the exposed face of Cucamonga peak, so you bear the full brunt of the sun.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    333

    South Fork-Blueridge ride

    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    When you doing the ride?

    I've driven from Lytle Creek to Rancho Cucamonga in a 4 wheel drive truck on the fire road that runs off of Sierra Ave just before entering Cajon Pass. Its roughly 28 miles. It'd be a tough haul on an MTB, but it could be done. Another problem is that its on the exposed face of Cucamonga peak, so you bear the full brunt of the sun.
    I'm doing the ride this Saturday at 8:30 am. I am expecting a small turnout of about 5 riders because of the remote location. The route will be; South Fork-Jackson Lake-Blueridge-Manzanita-South Fork. This should be about a 25-30 mile ride. The pace will be varied, with the slower climbing group starting a little earlier than the speedsters. PM me if your interested.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    45
    I used to ride Cleghorn trail back in 1991-1995 loved it

  10. #10
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,680
    There are dh trails in Summit Valley between the 15 and Silverwood Lake. After what has become of the trails that drop from Crestline to Sl...I'm not talking. Theres flowy twisty xc up here too and there's a reason the corners aren't blown.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Similar Threads

  1. June Group Rides sponsored by BTCEB
    By D.Ambrose in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 09:01 AM
  2. Idaho in da House
    By Wayndar in forum Other Areas
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 03:41 PM
  3. Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 05:15 PM
  4. night ride passion (longish and theraputic)
    By SlowSSer in forum Passion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 02:14 PM
  5. night ride passion (longish- some geared content)
    By SlowSSer in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 09:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •