I'm such a fox

Any trails out near Fontana?

I have a friend who lives in Fontana and I was planning on visiting in a week or so. I live in L.A but rarely go out that way unless it is to visit my friend. I want to squeeze in a ride in a new place and figured I could kill two birds with one stone by doing that before or after my visit.

The only problem is I don't know the area and whether or not there are any know trails out that way.

Any recommendations?

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by endoMaster
    I have a friend who lives in Fontana and I was planning on visiting in a week or so. I live in L.A but rarely go out that way unless it is to visit my friend. I want to squeeze in a ride in a new place and figured I could kill two birds with one stone by doing that before or after my visit.

The only problem is I don't know the area and whether or not there are any know trails out that way.

Any recommendations?
    you are lucky, my friend

Fontana is home to Southridge Park, which is on Live Oak Ave, a street that stems off Cherry Ave.

Southridge Park is where they hold the Spring Fling races (next one no the 30th) so you might want to visit him later this month and catch that race (even if you don't race, it would be fun to hang around there and maybe ride before the race starts).

I can't really tell you any routes in Southridge Park, as I've only been there for the Spring Fling. I'm sure some here can.

Good Luck
    rustyb

Just another Homer

I live

here in Fontuky.It all depends on what you want to ride. As the above poster stated there is some riding over in South Fontana,but it's not known for it's scenery.In fact it can be downright ghetto looking with trash discarded through out the area,but it does have singletrack, some good technical stuff too.There are all kinds of options all through the area and what we usually do is just start looking around as we ride and see something that looks fun and ride to it,then do it. On the northside (where I live) we are butted up against the Angeles forest mountains.There are a few trails here. One is called San Sevaine and it's a decent climb with a good technical downhill that's a little bit to short to me,but still worth the ride.I haven't rode this trail since the rains, but I have a few friends who have, and they tell me it's still a fun ride,but is a little more lose and the rock gardens are quite difficult to make now. Trailhead is off Lytle Creek (Sierra exit) off the I-15 go west past the gas stations and it's about a mile down on the left hand side. There is a gate,but mountain biking,hiking and horses are allowed. Never seen a horse there though.The singletrack starts at the next white steel gate you see as you get to what appears to be the top. After you go through the gate you immediately start your downhill. This will drop you out in a residential area called Hunters Ridge. You may want to park a vehicle here and then just shuttle back to Lytle Creek to pick up your other vehicle,or just ride back,it's only about 3 to 5 miles on the street. if you need more info email me at:
    Pain freak AT singlespeed DOT net
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    I've heard stories about Southridge being all trashed up.

I'm guessing it was cleaned up a bit for the Spring Fling Series and Winter Series too.
    The only views were of rows and rows and rows of condominiums (sp?). Not the kind of views you get in the SMs, but the un-spectacular scenery is made up for by the spectacular singletrack.

Amazing singletrack.

I am blown away.

Copletely.

rustyb

Over the Hill

Santa Ana River Trail

Close enough...I would just head up to SART. Glass Rd to South Fork Campground two weeks ago....a couple of trees and slides in the way.

From town to Middle Control Rd and Middle Control Rd to Glass Rd suposedly has many trees across the trail.

Big Drops
    Nov 2004

Hey BikerFox

Try Sycamore Canyon in Riverside. It's relatively close to Fontana. East on the 60, exit Central before the 60/215 split. Mainly singletrack/little doubletrack.
    Huck Maestro

I'm such a fox
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually now have a multiple places to choose from. From these recommendations; Which would be newbie friendly? My friend has inferred that he and his wife might be interested in joining me on the ride. I'm not that technically adept but moreso than a beginner. I don't want to dissuade a possible new rider/s from joining me on future rides by taking them on a technical trail and taking the fun out of the experience for them.
    Last edited by endoMaster; 04-18-2005 at 04:12 PM.