Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007

Any trails near Kensington - Talmadge in San Diego?

So, I really get tired of having to drive to get to a trail, usually the South Bay. I'm near SDSU, and would love to know if there are any trails that one can ride to that go through the canyons in Talmadge or Kensington. Don't mind having to ride on the road a bit to get to them, but I hate wasting ride time driving to a trail.

Any info? Thanks!

CEB
    No horse'n round
    You are SO close to Mission Trail and Sycamore, why is SoBay your "closest" ride?

Get out there! Canyons in Kensington and Talmadge........humph..... who knows WHAT you'll find down there!?!?!?

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Just hit up Florida Canyon...short loops but it's dirt. If you combine with some of the other trails in Balboa Park - you can get a couple hours ride in. Not too far from the college area.
    It wasn't me

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    It's not that So. Bay is my closest ride, it's just where I usually end up. I have a thing for Sweetwater and the East H St. canyons.

Mission trails entrance at Mission Gorge and Jackson Dr. is about 6 miles from where I live - I'm just trying to figure out if there is something where I could just jump on the bike and ride to. But yes, Mission Trails is there.

I've done a bit of exploring and have not found anything - and hope to not find a druggie or homeless person in the canyons! It would just be nice to have something that was maybe a three mile loop or something I could ride a couple of times when riding time is at a premium.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    KOH, I live in Kensington and ride Mission Trails probably a couple times a week. You're right in that it's about 5 to 6 mi depending, but for me it is worth it, I don't mind the extra mi on the road. I have looked at some of the cyn trails around Kensington, there are a couple that run along the bottom of the canyon, but they are not really official and they usually dead-end quickly. Nothing I have found that could serve as part of a useful loop.

if you figure out how to link together anything useful I would die to know. I also was trying to figure if there was a way to get into MTRP from Mission Gorge/Friars maybe cutting up along the golf course, but there are signs as you go in prohibiting bicycles. Everything uphill from the golf course seems to be military land with no access.

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=Howeler]Just hit up Florida Canyon...short loops but it's dirt. If you combine with some of the other trails in Balboa Park - you can get a couple hours ride in. Not too far from the college area.

If you’re going to be riding in that area may I suggest some pepper spray. And I’m not talking about fending off just mountain lions. "Not that there is anything wrong with it".
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-01-2008 at 02:21 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Kristatos,

I've dropped into the two canyons off of Fairmount to the West - the one just North of Aldine and the one about 1/3 of a mile North of there. You're right, dead ends. And the one next to Aldine is now too overgrown, but no huge loss - it was terribly short anyway. I'm over in Talmadge North of the traffic circle, so my most treacherous street riding would be up and down Aldine. Bummer it's such a narrow road. I've also done a bit of looking around along Colwood from Monroe down to Montezuma and nothing.

Dirtjunkie, I know what you mean about Florida canyon and the problems with people of questionable character and their activities. I think overall one is fine there as long as you keep pedaling and don't ride in the middle of the night - even better, go with someone.

Hmmm...we might just have to spend a few weekends with some shovels in those Ken-Tal canyons.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    UPDATE on the Balboa Park trails: All of the problem areas have been cleaned out. The park cleaned up and removed a ton of brush and bushes.

The place is wide open now. No place for the nefarious to hide anymore - and it's a good thing as we used to call a certain area Condom Canyon.
    It wasn't me

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Aw, where are going to have the post ride "fun" now?

I'm glad they've cleaned it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    UPDATE on the Balboa Park trails: All of the problem areas have been cleaned out. The park cleaned up and removed a ton of brush and bushes.

The place is wide open now. No place for the nefarious to hide anymore - and it's a good thing as we used to call a certain area Condom Canyon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've ridden the Florida Canyon area of Balboa Park from the Morley Field dog park and the other side (Zoo side). What other areas can you ride around Balboa Park?