mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Any rides near Arrowbear California?

My wife and I are going to be visiting family and staying at a cabin in Arrowbear California. Does anyone know if there is riding in that neck of the woods? Since we've never been there, we're just trying to decide whether to bring our bikes or not. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The riding in the mountains there is excellent. Visit Bear Valley Bikes in Big Bear and they will steer you in the right direction. You could also purchase a National Forest Map. There are hundreds of miles of dirt roads and motorcycle trails.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    There are plenty of trails on the mountain and a few great trails along the north western edge of lake Arrowhead. However, I'm sure there are a few nice trails at Deep Creek Lake in the Arrowbear. Here's the coordinates- cut and paste in the GOOGLE MAPS browser.
    34.213600, -117.086450

Also, here's a trail for the Nordic Mountain bike challenge just down the street. Contact the folks at Nordic in 'running Springs for more info.
    http://www.rimnordic.com/bike.php
    http://www.active.com/page/Event_Det...5-d54736d26b6d

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thank you guys very much for the responses! That's great. I think we'll definitely hit up that bike shop once we're there and see what they say or try those trails on the lake.....that is if my stupid blown scott shock replacement comes in in time (just got the bad news today). Anyway, seriously though, thanks for the info. We appreciate it very much!

Big Drops
    Nov 2004
    There's a link attached to one of the first posts for rimnordic.com. They're within 5 miles of Arrowbear. If nothing else, a possible referral source.
    Huck Maestro

Over the Hill
    Exploration Trail: Not a long one but a nice one.

Lower trailhead very close to Highway 18. Upper Trailhead Keller Peak Lookout Road/Children's Demonstration Forest. Ride the pavement up single track down. You could ride the single track up but I don't think it would be much fun unless you are a very strong climber. Keller Peak Lookout is just North of Deer Lick Visitor Center. Don't look for Exploration Trail on the maps it is a fairly new trail and has not made the maps yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the info on the exploration trail. That looks pretty fun. So do you just park at the lower trailhead and ride up highway 18 to the upper trail head? And then from there, is the trail pretty straight forward to the lower trailhead or are there multiple forks and turn offs? This really does look pretty fun. We'll definitely give it a try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Exploration Trail: Not a long one but a nice one.

Lower trailhead very close to Highway 18. Upper Trailhead Keller Peak Lookout Road/Children's Demonstration Forest. Ride the pavement up single track down. You could ride the single track up but I don't think it would be much fun unless you are a very strong climber. Keller Peak Lookout is just North of Deer Lick Visitor Center. Don't look for Exploration Trail on the maps it is a fairly new trail and has not made the maps yet.
    Nice photos! I'd forgotten how beautiful those mountains are.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mlud2
    Thanks for the info on the exploration trail. That looks pretty fun. So do you just park at the lower trailhead and ride up highway 18 to the upper trail head? And then from there, is the trail pretty straight forward to the lower trailhead or are there multiple forks and turn offs? This really does look pretty fun. We'll definitely give it a try.
    No, you turn on Keller Peak road, the lower trailhead is at the first left hand turn...100 yards up from Highway 18...park there (Big Trailhead sign there) Pedal about 4 miles up Keller Peak Road until you get to a paved T in the road, the upper trailhead is 100 ft down the right fork..basically at the intersection. To get in a couple more miles go up and check out the fire lookout on top of Keller Peak.

There are trails that take you over to the Ski Area and you can hook up with Rim Nordic Race Coarse. I have been meaning to explore that route but have not. Maybe someone esle can help.

So far as following the trail it is very easy. When you get near the bottom there are a couple of fireroads to cross, just look for bike tracks and you will pickup the trail again on the other side to the raods.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There are the rides that were posted, but Big Bear, about 15 miles further up the mountain has pretty much unlimited riding possibilities. As another poster responded, hit up Derek at Bear Valley Bikes in Big Bear about the rides. Randy at 3 Pines Lodge in BB is also an excellent source.
    Every Tuesday is a road ride and Thursdays are mountain bike rides in BB. Both rides start at the Starbucks in the Vons shopping center at 5pm.

Over the Hill
    I have found that fireroad rides in Big Bear area unlimited but lacking sustained singletrack. Much of the singletrack I used to ride in Fawnskin is closed due to fire. To get singletrack Angelus Oaks is the much better choice.

Dean

No known cure
    I rode Exploration Friday afternoon and talked to a ranger who said they're watching us closley and may close this trail to bikes. There have been several complaints about shuttlers with big bikes and full gear racing down the trail. As I rode up the trail, I noticed alot of destruction, blown corners, ruts and grooves from sloppy braking skills. This trail is heavily used by horses, schoolkids on field trips, dog walkers, and hikers. The trail maintenace is done by the local Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. If you want fast downhill, continue on to Snow Summit. This trail is only a couple years old and the only trail up here west of Big Bear open to mtbers. Everything else we share with motos and Jeeps. Let's use some common sense. Thanks.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    I have found that fireroad rides in Big Bear area unlimited but lacking sustained singletrack. Much of the singletrack I used to ride in Fawnskin is closed due to fire. To get singletrack Angelus Oaks is the much better choice.

Dean
    I live on the mountain (Arrowbear), but have yet to ride this area (other than SART). Are there other rides worth trying near AO?