mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Any really good bike shops in San Diego county?

Hate to say it but if i have to return stuff for warranty, exchanges, or refunds i get the best service from Supergo. All the other shops just make me jump through hoops, forcing me back to Supergo.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The people at Grand Bikes on Grand Ave. in Escondido are very nice and helpful, I haven't had to return anything, but they've always treated me well when I've been in there and I imagine they would be very accomodating. You might also check out Mountain Bike Wherehouse in Vista as well, I've never bought anything major from there, but they have more MTB stuff than anywhere else around.

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004

Good job!

My wife and I got our bikes from Bicycle Warehouse (aka Mountain Bike Warehouse) in San Diego last year. They will beat any price I got them to knock $600 off my wifeís '03 Specialized Women's Epic. I got a great deal on my '03 Santa Cruz Superlight. I have spent a lot of money in that shop and never had a problem. I also haven't had to do any "warranty, exchanges, or refunds" type of transactions so I can't speak to that. I can say that my Dad got his bike from there a few months after we got ours and they took care of him like they did us. Oh and we bought a kids bike for our nephew from there too.

One of the guys I ride with got a '04 Specialized Enduro Expert at the Vista store. He got a really good deal too. My brother-in-law is going to be buying a bike in the next few months and he says he plans on getting it from Bicycle Warehouse.

As for general supplies I get a few things at Performance Bike. I would suggest joining the Team Performance club. I have received a few hundred dollars worth of discounts from them. I usually buy the things I can't find at BW.

dead sailor

warehouse is really good.

The Morena blvd store even has a little test course inside. Not really much, just a few wooden bumps but enough to get a feel for the suspension. They got a ton of stuff from a ton of makers, and they've got layaways and payment plans. Black Mountain Bicylces is pretty good with Specialized stuff... they were they first ones in SD to get the 04 line and they'll really hook you up with the warranty. Good mechanics too.
    phuck it!

p.s. I NEED a Pugsley

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Moutain bike warehouse is ok.

Not saying they are a bad store because from what i've seen i think they do the best in matching people to the right bike. But they make me jump through a lot of hoops before exchanging or refunding me on items that take about 10 seconds to do at Supergo. I pretty much stopped going to the warehouse.

Never been in Grand Bikes but whenever i call they never have what i am looking for. Maybe i should at least stop inside there and see what they do have.

I don't expect any small shop to be able to compete against Supergo or the Internet pricewise but i was looking for a shop were customer satisfaction was #1 and they stood behind what they sold.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Not saying they are a bad store because from what i've seen i think they do the best in matching people to the right bike. But they make me jump through a lot of hoops before exchanging or refunding me on items that take about 10 seconds to do at Supergo. I pretty much stopped going to the warehouse.

Never been in Grand Bikes but whenever i call they never have what i am looking for. Maybe i should at least stop inside there and see what they do have.

I don't expect any small shop to be able to compete against Supergo or the Internet pricewise but i was looking for a shop were customer satisfaction was #1 and they stood behind what they sold.
    i like bicycle warehouse a lot. i don't think i've ever returned a bike part before... other than a lizard skin and a rain jacket to perfomance, but those were minor. i do my homework ahead of time and i seem to do ok.

player hater
    For customer service issues, you'll be hard pressed to beat Performance. As a national chain store, they are like the Nordstrom of bikes for returns/warranty/etc. I've stood in line behind someone that try to return a tire with a ripped sidewall which obivously happened on a ride...and they took it back and gave him a new one.

No, they don't always have the latest and greatest, but I've been going to the Sorrento Valley (San Diego) store for years now and built a reputation with the manager. They price match for me and can order any parts I want, even stuff they don't regularly carry. Plus, I get 10% back in gift certificates through Team Performance which is hard to beat. Supergo is a good shop, too, but the Performance team buyers club tilts the favor towars Performance, even though Supergo has cooler stuff.

Now, though, I shop at Bike Empire in Poway since I joined their team this year. The mechanics there (Carlos, until he recently left...now Tim wrenches on my rides) are top notch since they sponsor a team. In my experience, the mechanics at the various Performance shops can be hit or miss...I'll work on my bike myself before taking it there for service.

Oh yeah...Beyond Bikes in Rancho Bernardo often has high-end stuff to drool over.

Enough ranting...HTH.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by VoltesV
    For customer service issues, you'll be hard pressed to beat Performance. As a national chain store, they are like the Nordstrom of bikes for returns/warranty/etc. I've stood in line behind someone that try to return a tire with a ripped sidewall which obivously happened on a ride...and they took it back and gave him a new one.

No, they don't always have the latest and greatest, but I've been going to the Sorrento Valley (San Diego) store for years now and built a reputation with the manager. They price match for me and can order any parts I want, even stuff they don't regularly carry. Plus, I get 10% back in gift certificates through Team Performance which is hard to beat. Supergo is a good shop, too, but the Performance team buyers club tilts the favor towars Performance, even though Supergo has cooler stuff.
    Enough ranting...HTH.
    Yeah pretty much my buying strategy. Supergo Midnite madness sales, Team Performance.com, internet, and eBay. But in the last 6 months i been spending over $100/month on bike stuff and thought i could build a good relationship with a shop with that kind of spending and was on the search.
    No, they don't always have the latest and greatest, but I've been going to the Sorrento Valley (San Diego) store for years now and built a reputation with the manager.
    Haven't been in there for years, is Jay still the manager there?
    Now, though, I shop at Bike Empire in Poway since I joined their team this year. The mechanics there (Carlos, until he recently left...now Tim wrenches on my rides) are top notch since they sponsor a team. In my experience, the mechanics at the various Performance shops can be hit or miss...I'll work on my bike myself before taking it there for service.
    Yeah, they are very helpful over the phone and just about willing to order anything but a bit of a drive for me from Coastal North County.
    Oh yeah...Beyond Bikes in Rancho Bernardo often has high-end stuff to drool over.

Enough ranting...HTH.
    Sort of funny the 2 stores with the absolutely worst reputation in San Diego County are Action Cyclery and Beyondbikes and i bought my last 2 bikes from both. Go in armed with knowledge and you should come out ok.

Ya, right.

Definitely Bicycle Warehouse

IMHO, Bicycle Warehouse is tops. I go to the Vista store, and Ryan, Eric, Jake and all the other guys there are the greatest. When I was ready to upgrade to FS, I must have asked them a million questions, and they cheerfully answered them all, without ever seeming annoyed--I would have been!! They also have a massive parking lot with very little traffic to test ride bikes on. Plenty of curbs and medians to test out FS on too.

They don't work on comission and never pressure you to buy something just to make a sale. They even talked me out of a certain product, because it was too much for me skill level-wise, and told me not to waste my money. I bought my '04 Spec. Enduro Expert from them and am very pleased with it.

The few times I have been to Supergo, I felt like the sales sharks are lurking just waiting to make a "kill". I went in to the Oceanside store, just looking and comparing bikes, and the sales staff was pressuring me to put a bike on lay-away, and pushing me into applying for credit when I told them I didn't have the money. I haven't had any trouble returning things at Supergo, but the 2 times I did at the O'side store, the employee at the register was rude. I returned a set of Panaracer tires, because I bought the wrong size--didn't even open them--and the employee told me I "should have been paying better attention" when I bought them. Well excuse me for making a simple mistake.

Maybe I have just had bad luck at the O'side store. But that's Ok, I will take all of my business to Bicycle warehouse. Amazon Bikes in O'side is good too.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Been going to Bicycle Warehouse for a long time and since they've relocated to Vista they are only a few hundred yards from my office. As previously attested, they will always answer your questions without any pressure to purchase anything and the same goes for service on your current rig. If you're thinking of upgrading or replacing components on your bike they'll walk you through what you do and don't need. The only drawback is that they have very little selection when it comes to accessories like clothing, shoes, helmets, etc.

I know more than a few people who basically refuse to go to Supergo because they have been mis-treated there. Personally, I've never had any problems but with so many employees I guess you're bound to run into some punk that really doesn't know how to treat customers. They do have the best selection of accessories and regularly have pretty good sales on all of that stuff.

Performance Bike seems cool - I've bought a fork and some other junk from them - the 10% discount is nice.

Well, I don't guess I've really contributed anything new - but those are my expereinces in North County.

mtbr member
    Well, I think Voltes hit on something there: Sorrento Valley Performance is pretty darn good. It's a smaller, almost forgotten, version of a Performance, so it doesn't always have the bright displays, etc... but it's got good staff, the backing and sales of the big chain but the feel of a local shop. The people in there are cool.

If you've heard nightmare stories about Perf stores...it's probably the Kearny Mesa store. Just switch to Sorrento and get mechanics that actually know how to fix the bike (or will stop, and find out how, instead of guessing) .

Regarding SuperGo in O'side, I've always had good service and prices there, and never been pressured to buy, although they've been attentive and willing to let me spend an hour test riding different rigs. I have no problems with that shop.

Bike Warehouse in PB is fine, although they can't compete with the big boys on some prices for things.

The Trek Store in Kearny is not really a place where you go for parts or service, unless it's a Trek-branded bike, because their business model has them sticking rigidly to their catalogs...they sell the bikes bone stock, and don't do much in terms of individual components, since they sell those for MSRP only.

Action Cyclery is, well, Action Cyclery, but the great deals that could be had there don't seem to have survived the flood that resulted in the new floorplan.

player hater
    ...is Jay still the manager there?...
    No more Jay. He was the one that sold me on the shop. I suppose my realtionship was more with an individual than the store chain. He went to Nytro some time ago, but is longer in the bike biz. It's a long story, but an intersting one if you knew him. Shoot me an email (ps195 at san dot rr dot com) if you want the scoop.

Josh replaced Jay, Walter replaced Josh, and Damon is the latest to replace Walter. Each time I just tell the new manager that I've been coming in for years and drop some serious coin in the shop and let them know how the previous manager treated me and told them that I was hoping for the same. So far, so good.

Of course, it helps if they can see that you'll spend in their shop. I bought a Tracer frame from them right after they stopped being Bike USA, purchaed all the high dollar parts from them, then a Record Carbon group for my road bike, and recently, a full Saint built kit for my SLX. They LOVE it when I walk in the door!

I guess my point is...if you plan to frequent a shop regularly for some time, pick a shop that you think will be around for awhile, and most importantly, build a relationship with someone there. ALWAYS talk to them (it helps if they are the manager/owner) and always buy from them. Sometimes, you'll be able to find a tube or gloves cheaper down the road, but if they see you supporting their store, they will be more willing to help you out when you when you're not pleased with your Zoke Marathon fork after 6 months and want to exchange it for a Fox Float RLC. This is what happened to me and Jay didn't charge me a cent for the swap. I search the internet for the cheapest prices on anything, bring it in to them and they will match it and order it if they don't carry it.

I think I got a little off target here, but if an individual wants good customer service, they will need to be a good customer. Those always looking for the cheapest price and that have no loyalty to a store, will be treated as such.
    Last edited by VoltesV; 06-15-2004 at 03:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I think I got a little off target here, but if an individual wants good customer service, they will need to be a good customer. Those looking always for the cheapest price and that no loyalty to a store will be treated as such.
    I swear i tried at Mtn bike warehouse. Spent a couple of hundred dollars there over a 6 week period and they were more than helpful. Even though their prices were kind of high i went back and never asked nor got a discount on anything. I had a BB go bad after 4 weeks, took it back with receipt in hand thinking it was an no brainer exchange. They only offered to send it back for me, no exchange, no store credit. Admittedly I only spent a minute pleading my case as a manager listened in (or maybe he was just ignoring me as the clerk was helping me). But ended up buying another BB at another store and taking care of the warranty return myself. Haven't gone back since.

Just following orders

North of the Border

North of the Border on Mira Mesa Blvd. has done very nice work for me. They are into high end bikes and don't seem to stock a lot of parts. If you're looking to have a bike built up, definitely consider them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbcbcbcb
    North of the Border on Mira Mesa Blvd. has done very nice work for me. They are into high end bikes and don't seem to stock a lot of parts. If you're looking to have a bike built up, definitely consider them.
    I second that, North of the Border built one of my bikes and service a z1 fork, a good shop for non mass production custom bike builds.

Supergo in Oceanside has excellent customer service and prices.

DWW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Custombikepros.com

Hate to say it but if i have to return stuff for warranty, exchanges, or refunds i get the best service from Supergo. All the other shops just make me jump through hoops, forcing me back to Supergo.
    Warranty issues or returns will never be a problem for you if you check out the shop on Scripps Summit Dr right off of Scripps Poway Parkway called Custombikepros.com. They are the exclusive dealers of Titus cycles for San Diego and their pricing is as good if not better than any other shop around. For example, you can buy Hayes HFX Mag Plus disc brakes for $150.00 a wheel. They have a Junior Champion DH racer as their mechanic and they have great relations in the industry. Just contact them on any part and they'll hook you up. They have a toll free number too 888-865-2453. If they don't have it in stock they can usually get it in 1-2 days. I was impressed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Beyond Bikes...

in Rancho Bernardo. These guys are the highend DH/FR crowd. The showroom has the best selection of frames and parts in town. A real candy store. The mechanics are also very good. The only negative is they do come across a bit aggressive on the sales side. But compared to their showroom everything else seems like Kmart.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rprice
    in Rancho Bernardo. These guys are the highend DH/FR crowd. The showroom has the best selection of frames and parts in town. A real candy store. The mechanics are also very good. The only negative is they do come across a bit aggressive on the sales side. But compared to their showroom everything else seems like Kmart.
    ah, your j/k right? If not, do a Beyondbikes /beyond bike search on this board.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

No joke ...

ah, your j/k right? If not, do a Beyondbikes /beyond bike search on this board.
    I guess you have to define what you think makes a good LBS.

No doubt Beyondbikes can be a bit slick and I don't think I would do a lot of mail order through them. If you want to go mailorder you should pay the extra and go with Speedgoat.

But on the other hand, I don't know of any other shop in town that has as good a selection of frames and components in stock. Supergo, Mountain Bike Warehouse, Performance are all pretty weak from a showroom stand point. Too much mass produced stuff.

I've seen a lot of the negative posts regarding Beyondbikes and in a lot of cases they are fair, but at the same time there are a lot of posts that fall into the "I want to ask a thousand questions, I want it cheap and I want it fast."

My take is you have to pay for service. Beyondbikes is great at sales and poor on follow up. They move you through like cattle. At the same time I just puchased a complete built up frame through them and payed $300 less than a buddy who used his "good" LBS to build up a frame with a build that had a MSRP $200 less than my build. The mechanic who built up my bike also did the wheelset. He did some wheels for me a couple years ago that have handled some serious abuse and are still true.

Every shop has it's pros and cons, but you want to walk into one that has Ellsworth, Foes, Titus, Intense, Turner, Orange frames on the wall, Beyondbikes is the place.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rprice
    I guess you have to define what you think makes a good LBS.

No doubt Beyondbikes can be a bit slick and I don't think I would do a lot of mail order through them. If you want to go mailorder you should pay the extra and go with Speedgoat.

But on the other hand, I don't know of any other shop in town that has as good a selection of frames and components in stock. Supergo, Mountain Bike Warehouse, Performance are all pretty weak from a showroom stand point. Too much mass produced stuff.

I've seen a lot of the negative posts regarding Beyondbikes and in a lot of cases they are fair, but at the same time there are a lot of posts that fall into the "I want to ask a thousand questions, I want it cheap and I want it fast."

My take is you have to pay for service. Beyondbikes is great at sales and poor on follow up. They move you through like cattle. At the same time I just puchased a complete built up frame through them and payed $300 less than a buddy who used his "good" LBS to build up a frame with a build that had a MSRP $200 less than my build. The mechanic who built up my bike also did the wheelset. He did some wheels for me a couple years ago that have handled some serious abuse and are still true.

Every shop has it's pros and cons, but you want to walk into one that has Ellsworth, Foes, Titus, Intense, Turner, Orange frames on the wall, Beyondbikes is the place.
    Well I was looking for a shop that stood behind what they sold with solid service. Half of my current bike was built from parts from Beyondbikes but I can't get Beyondbikes to order service parts for me, Kerry always saids "go to Airbomb.com and see if you can find it". Haven't been in there lately but there are no price tags on anything, which tells me they charge what they want and you better go in there with knowledge first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Tend to agree...

... definitely need to know what you are doing when dealing with Beyondbikes and if after sales service is a priority I'd recommend Speedgoat. That's a shop worth supporting.

I've done everything from full builds to $5 shock rebuild kits through Speedgoat. A recent example was the bushings and reducers on an 01 frame I bought from them where getting sloppy. I called and spoke with a younger guy that wasn't 100% on the ball but was trying to be helpful. He couldn't help over the phone and said he'd get back to me. The next day I got an email from the owner Chris apologizing for not getting back to me faster. The email had web site links to all the parts I needed including the tool for replacing the eyelet bushings. I ordered the parts using their web site and got the parts a week later. I've done a lot of business with them over the years and have never had a problem.

The only reason I used Beyondbikes for my recent frame build was I went into their Showroom and they had a frame built up that I got to ride and they did a real good job of getting me a fast quote that was exactly what the sales guy and I discussed. But even then I wasn't sure about going with them so I decided to think about it. Within a week and a half they had called me three times with price drops. The final price was well below anything I've seen on line or anything other shops could touch. Since I've built up multiple bikes I wasn't too worried about after sales service so I pulled the trigger. They had the bike ready within 2 weeks.

The best way to deal with Beyondbikes is to go in there with a price match or a particular advertised special. If you watch out for the bait and switch, you generally end up with a very good deal.