Chris Bling

New question here. Any place to ride in Orange County?

Hey everyone, i am moving down to Orange county next month and i just wondering if there is any place that is good to ride down there. I am moving from southern utah, so i was wondering what i should expect.

thanks

dusty
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Yes there are tons of places to ride. Some of the better trails are closed right now due to fires but there are still some open. I don't live in OC so I can't say which ones for sure.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Lots of areas around Laguna Beach and lots of trails in the Cleveland National Forest, plus multiple other parks around the county.

You may find the traffic in OC a little more intense than you are used to. I just looked at the census figures, and OC has more residents than the entire state of Utah. I'm not saying that as a dig; personally, I wish OC was still all orchards. But take some care in picking a place to live, so you don't chew up too much of your day commuting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    There's nothing as good in OC compared to what you had in S Utah. There are pretty good places to ride though, just expect things to be crowded (even when all the trails are open).

The best thing about OC is that it's less than a couple of hours to places like Noble Canyon and SART.

mtbr member
    check out mountainbikebill.com he has lots of great reviews on OC trails and the surronding areas.
    Warrior's Society > WarriorsSociety.org
    Team Sho-Air > Team-shoair.com
    Coolest LBS > Switchbackcylery.com
    Socal Riders Unite > Socaltrailriders.org

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    What part of OC will you be living in? There is plenty of ridding in the area even with the recent fires. Another good site to check out is www.geoladders.com. It list most of the rides in the area with trail descriptions and pictures to check out. Welcome to the area.

Paul
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004
    Check out socaltrailriders.org. The majority of the members are in the OC. They post regular rides and all the local info.

Good luck...

Quack Attack
    +1 on Geoladders. Great side to learn about OC trails and meet a lot of local riders.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    As someone else mentioned, a lot of OC trails got damaged during the fires but there are still plenty of good trails. My favorite is Aliso Woods (Aliso Creek Rd. exit off of 5 freeway). It's nothing like Moab or any place like that but there are some nice technical single tracks (Rock-it, Lynx, Meadows) and plenty of climbing (Mathis or any of the previous).

You can also check out El Moro/Crystal Cove in Laguna. Again, a LOT of climbing but a few cool singletracks (Rattlesnake).

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishin Paul
    What part of OC will you be living in?

Paul

i will be moving to the Santa Ana, Newport Beach area. how far away are some descent trails? i just rode out of my garage this morning and did one of the most technical trails in S.Utah. its a trail me and my room mate build down a series of washes called
    Fluffy Bunny

i know there is nothing that close in Santa Ana, but give me an estimate of a descent trial.

thanks

dusty
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

ss poser
    hey dusty!

tks for the beta the other day! church rocks was a blast yesterday! got to practice my hucking skills at the first play area when we went counter clockwise like you suggested.

you'd like san juan area, especially viejo tie/chiquito. hit us up when you're in town & we'll show you around some.

drive to el morro (laguna) will be about 20 min w/no traffic, laguna wilderness 30 or so, san juan area about 40 min+. aliso is about 20-30. always add time if you're commuting during traffic hours.
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?