mtbr member

New question here. Any OC rides week of Thanksgiving?

I'm heading down from the Bay Area to Mission Viejo to visit family for Thanksgiving. I'm planning to bring my bike and hope to check out Whiting Ranch and Aliso Woods. Are there any semi-organized group or bike shop rides in these areas? Night rides?

I ride a HT and I'd rate myself intermediate, so I'm not looking for any of the advanced technical trails or ones that require a long travel bike (though I'm not completely adverse to rock gardens). I like good climbs and flowy singletrack. I'm 30, if that matters... just old enough for falls to hurt more and aches to linger longer...

I generally lurk on the Norcal and Passion forums, but thought I'd check out this one before I head down.

-Dave

mtbr member
    www.teambasso.com is a good xc group that can show you around. also www.socalmtb.com sould be able to help good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by 8Trak
    I'm heading down from the Bay Area to Mission Viejo to visit family for Thanksgiving. I'm planning to bring my bike and hope to check out Whiting Ranch and Aliso Woods. Are there any semi-organized group or bike shop rides in these areas? Night rides?

I ride a HT and I'd rate myself intermediate, so I'm not looking for any of the advanced technical trails or ones that require a long travel bike (though I'm not completely adverse to rock gardens). I like good climbs and flowy singletrack. I'm 30, if that matters... just old enough for falls to hurt more and aches to linger longer...

I generally lurk on the Norcal and Passion forums, but thought I'd check out this one before I head down.

-Dave
    If you are here Thanksgiving morning, there is always a mass migration of riders that ride up Harding Truck Trail.. it has become a yearly ride that locals know about and do, you can start anytime in the moring and you'll see a lot of people. It is a 9 mile steady climb to the top. Great pre turkey ride

stay thirsty, my friends
    Some of us on www.socaltrailriders.org (very new site) ride at least a few times a week and many ride both whiting and aliso (including me).
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Modjeska Grade "Old Camp" is my favorite Orange County local ride. It's 16 miles (8 up and 8 down) of pure singletrack bliss. The climb is full of ups and downs so you don't really feel like you're climbing that much. The downhill is fast and fun. I LOVE THIS TRAIL!!! Or if you feel like more of a technical challenge you can always stop at the flag pole half way and go down the luge. Anyways you should definitely check it out. I'm sure if you ride with one of the mnt groups mentioned in this reply some of them could take you on it. This and San Juan would be my two "must sees" for Orange County. :-)

for directions to Modjeska Grade: http://www.biketrails.com/ocsanttt.html

Samsonite Tester
    The Whiting Ranch is the low technical option. Aliso/Woods has the techy climbs(900' or less) and rock gardens. All tech and rock gardens have been ridden fully rigid , but expect to crash a bit .

BikeAddict the trail to "Old Camp" is called Santiago Truck Trail .

As The Mayor of San Juan Trail , I suggest that trail. I will even show you the route. PM me for more details.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    don't miss San Juan when you're down here. I've only done it a couple times but love that ride. ran into Tara Ilanes on the way up my first time

another favorite is a ride to Inspiration Point in Pasadena. JPL Ride. red box, mt wilson, lowe mt, echo mt. hmmm not sure what other call it....i just call it Inspiration Point. anyways maybe someone else might have more info. its the ride that goes threw an old burnt out hotel/restuarant with an old rail way car up the mtn. about 40 miles north of where your family lives i guess

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, guys. As far as organized rides, looks like team basso is doing a night ride of the luge on Tuesday (don't know if I can make it) and a Thanksgiving morning ride of Maple Springs to Main Divide. San Juan Trail on Saturday. Don't know if they are a good group to ride XC with, but it's good to have guides for unfamiliar trails. BTW, I can't seem to get to their website at http://www.teambasso.com/ (DNS problems?), but http://216.171.162.29/ works for me.

At this point I really don't know what my schedule is going to be during the week, but if anyone has flexible hours or mornings off, I'd be up for a weekday morning ride (8am-ish start).

And most importantly, what's the best Mexican food / taqueria in the Mission Viejo, Lake Forest area. I've had Taco Mesa and that's good stuff (maybe not the most authentic, but who cares).

-Dave

mtbr member
    May 2004

Taco Mesa is some of the best around...

but you might also want to try "Frescas", which is on Lake Forest, next to the Pep Boys, at Lake Forest and Muirlands.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by poacher
    If you are here Thanksgiving morning, there is always a mass migration of riders that ride up Harding Truck Trail.. it has become a yearly ride that locals know about and do, you can start anytime in the moring and you'll see a lot of people. It is a 9 mile steady climb to the top. Great pre turkey ride
    I'm confused... are there several Thanksgiving rides in that area? I know there is one that does the harding Truck Trail to the Main Divide, & then I went to the Team Basso website and noticed that they do one from Maple Springs --> 4 Corners --> Main Divide --> down Motorway. This is a different ride I take it? Which is better, in your opinion? I pretty much stick to Old Camp and the Luge when I ride in that area so I'm not familiar with all the trail names.

from Team Basso's Website:

Maple Springs around to Motorway:
    This week's ride will be up Maple Springs Road (which is at the end of Silverado Canyon) to 4-corners, then across the Main Divide to come back down Motorway. This is a bit longer and tougher than our usual Saturday morning rides, but it's and awesome ride! Bring plenty of water, and fuel, and be ready to push yourself. The total ride should be approx. 18 - 20 miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeAddict
    Modjeska Grade "Old Camp" is my favorite Orange County local ride.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out that STT is just 10 minutes from where I'm staying. Today I did a quick loop up to the luge, down to Cook's Corner, and then back up to the car. Even though there's still snow on Saddleback, the trails were okay... most of the fireroad up had a strip of dry singletrack through the muddy parts, and the luge singletrack was pretty dry and from what a few guys told me, pretty well groomed/smoothed out

And to the 4 guys that I met on the trail, thanks for pointing out the turnoffs and the way back to the road for me.

-Dave

jrm
    mtbr member

Motorway for sure..

The motorway single track is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeAddict
    I'm confused... are there several Thanksgiving rides in that area? I know there is one that does the harding Truck Trail to the Main Divide, & then I went to the Team Basso website and noticed that they do one from Maple Springs --> 4 Corners --> Main Divide --> down Motorway. This is a different ride I take it? Which is better, in your opinion? I pretty much stick to Old Camp and the Luge when I ride in that area so I'm not familiar with all the trail names.

from Team Basso's Website:

Maple Springs around to Motorway:
    This week's ride will be up Maple Springs Road (which is at the end of Silverado Canyon) to 4-corners, then across the Main Divide to come back down Motorway. This is a bit longer and tougher than our usual Saturday morning rides, but it's and awesome ride! Bring plenty of water, and fuel, and be ready to push yourself. The total ride should be approx. 18 - 20 miles.
    Basso's ride should be fun for you. Maple is the easier way up. The Main Divide to Motorway will be tough, but you'll be fine. Basso is cool because they cruise and have fun. Whatever way you get to 4 corners (maple or harding) there will be a lot of people up there. Bring warm clothes, there will probably be snow up there. Have a great ride whatever you decide to do

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    A little change in plans for the Basso group - The Thanksgiving ride will be at Aliso Woods (7:30am at the church parking lot off Alicia) this year due to the snow and 'impassable' conditions on Saddleback.

They are going to do El Moro this Sat (Nov 27th) and San Juan next Sat (Dec 4th).

El Moro - the ride will begin at the Laguna Coast Wilderness parking on Laguna Canyon Road, near where it intersects El Toro Road at 8:00 AM (the gates don't open until then), and the cost for parking is $3. This is actually a fun way to get into El Moro, and adds some extra singletrack options for dropping back into the canyon.
    Last edited by SilverSpot; 11-24-2004 at 04:44 PM.
    MCM# 2007.1