mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Any new Hurkey Creek updates?

The thread on Idyllwild started me thinking, what's going on with Hurkey Creek. yes, I know all about the fire. I also know that in Colorado at Buffalo Creek, they had a fire and the Forest Service there **POINT BLANK ASKED** mountain bikers to get out there and ride the trails to "burn them back in" so they wouldn't turn to dust and/or get overgrown. Yet, out here, it's been a 100% ban since the fire.

Does anybody have any good info on when the area might re-open to it's former glory? The last good info I received from the IMBA chapter up there about Hurkey Creek was in 2013 and at that time, they said they weren't even going to have a meeting with the FS until this September. Does anybody know if that meeting occurred and what was decided?

banned
    I can't find anything online about the meeting.

At the top of this page it suggests closure at least until late this year, and that the IDY Spring Challenge (which includes Hurkey & May Valley trails) will resume in May 2015. Fingers crossed.<fingers crossed=""></fingers>

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for that info. I hope your right. Of course, with the Summer heat, that means 90% of riders won't get on it until next Fall.

mtbr member
    I think the difference is that trails in Buffalo Creek were legal, whereas most of the trails in Hurkey Creek were not.

At the time of the fire the locals and IMBA were just starting to talk to the Forest Service about a trail plan for the area to bring some of the trails into the system.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    One of the Idyllwild IMBA guys sent me an email today saying they are hoping for "an early 2015" opening of the trails. All the trails we rode out there are legal and on marked trail maps. Even though I didn't agree with the closure of Exfoliator (another marked trail), we stayed off of it after it was officially closed.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The word is late November, they will start opening up more trails. Ridden Keen Camp climb to Johnson Meadow to May Valley Fire Road. Optimator is totally shot. Cahuilla Cutoff and Snakeskin, needs work, but do-able. Dos and Tres Hombres....completely decimated, and no longer even recognizable. Bonita Vista shortcut to Upper May Valley/Southridge, is rideable, but very overgrown and eroded.

Entrance to Coffee Pot:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any new Hurkey Creek updates?-coffeepot.jpg  

"The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    The word is late November, they will start opening up more trails. Ridden Keen Camp climb to Johnson Meadow to May Valley Fire Road. Optimator is totally shot. Cahuilla Cutoff and Snakeskin, needs work, but do-able. Dos and Tres Hombres....completely decimated, and no longer even recognizable. Bonita Vista shortcut to Upper May Valley/Southridge, is rideable, but very overgrown and eroded.

Entrance to Coffee Pot:
    The fire was still burning Zach. You are an evil lawbreaker. I at least waited until the fire was out!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    The fire was still burning Zach. You are an evil lawbreaker. I at least waited until the fire was out!
    That photo was by idyllwild local Kenny G. He said the ground was still hot, when he surveyed the burn zone.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I can't find anything online about the meeting.

At the top of this page it suggests closure at least until late this year, and that the IDY Spring Challenge (which includes Hurkey & May Valley trails) will resume in May 2015. Fingers crossed.<fingers crossed=""></fingers>
    That link was updated to say they aren't holding the event this year. I assume that means the area is at least mostly still closed. Blech.