Lawnmower Target

Any Guru's in central Los Angeles??

When on two wheels I try to stick to racing a KTM on the weekends but in the past few years I have started doing short triathlons.

I haven't really ridden a bicycle since college i was a desperate to get back into it. I bought a Giant Reign and started riding at least once a week - mostly into Griffith Park and zero dirt (I know I know)
    The problem I'm having is that whenever I go to charge up a hill, it starts shifting like crazy. Same ol story - fine on the flats, charge a hill and crash when it shifts by itself.
    Last year I took it in to iMartin for a full service because I work 12+ hours a day and don't really have time to mess around with it, I just want to ride. I dropped more than I want to admit on service, tires, brakes etc and it still shifts all over the place. I took it back and had them look at it and they told me it looks fine but that's obviously not the case.
    Point being I'm way overdue for learning how to do this stuff myself and I was wondering if there was anyone in the LA area that can help teach me how to work on the bike? I would much rather work on it myself anyways....

thanks guys -

We shall not cease from exploration, if we do we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

mtbr member
    I can fix your bike, but not for free and I won't teach you how

Lawnmower Target
    Quote Originally Posted by angry_young_and_poor View Post
    I can fix your bike, but not for free and I won't teach you how

You must know a lot of the same dirt bike guys that I know....
    We shall not cease from exploration, if we do we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

mtbr member

Any Guru's in central Los Angeles??

Check out the Bicycle Kitchen in Hollywood. Usually some helpful people there, tons of tools, spare parts, and they even offer classes.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

Life Is Short
    I used to work at a bike shop. Here's the secret. The shifting cable that is short and separate that is routed between the rear derailleur cable and the top tube longer cable, needs to be about an 1" longer. Normally this short cable is situated below the bottom bracket or around that area.

What happens is that when you get sag from powering up a hill, the shortness of the cable actuates the rear derailleur, thus giving you the 'ghost shifting' which besides a baby crying or dog barking, is very annoying.

This is a very common with full suspension bikes and I cannot believe such a rip...er good place like iMartin couldn't figure it out. If you can't elongate the cable, take it to a shop and tell them Ernie told you about extending the cable. everyone knows me.
    Ride More, Eat More

Lawnmower Target
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    This is a very common with full suspension bikes and I cannot believe such a rip...er good place like iMartin couldn't figure it out. If you can't elongate the cable, take it to a shop and tell them Ernie told you about extending the cable. everyone knows me.
    thanks for the advice, Ill have to give that a shot.
    It's such a catch 22 with local shops because i want to support the local business but it's freakin expensive.
    To their credit, I'm probably getting ready to need to replace the cassette and maybe to chain as well.... but it would have been better for them to point that out when I was having all the other work done

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I used to work at a bike shop. Here's the secret. The shifting cable that is short and separate that is routed between the rear derailleur cable and the top tube longer cable, needs to be about an 1" longer. Normally this short cable is situated below the bottom bracket or around that area.

What happens is that when you get sag from powering up a hill, the shortness of the cable actuates the rear derailleur, thus giving you the 'ghost shifting' which besides a baby crying or dog barking, is very annoying.

Or you could just take tension out of the cable instead of having more **** on your bike