mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Any good trails in/near Antelope Valley?

I'm looking for some good rides in the Lancaster, Palmdale, Rosamond, Mojave, Tehachapi areas. I usually ride the Senior Citizen (sissie) rides at JPL Arroyo Seco, Sullivan Canyon, Cheesborough, Sycamore Canyon, etc etc. Price of gas is going thru the roof and its taking too long to get to the trails down-below. Any ideas for this old wornout retread? BTW, has anybody ridden in the area just south of HWY 14 adjacent to Angeles Crest HWY, or near the Mill Creek Summit area?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by roller-blob
    I'm looking for some good rides in the Lancaster, Palmdale, Rosamond, Mojave, Tehachapi areas. I usually ride the Senior Citizen (sissie) rides at JPL Arroyo Seco, Sullivan Canyon, Cheesborough, Sycamore Canyon, etc etc. Price of gas is going thru the roof and its taking too long to get to the trails down-below. Any ideas for this old wornout retread? BTW, has anybody ridden in the area just south of HWY 14 adjacent to Angeles Crest HWY, or near the Mill Creek Summit area?
    Not much that I'm aware of for MTB riding in those areas. I ride moto out in the desert as often as possible, but never the MTB. If you are willing to head up into the Piutes (about 30 miles from Jawbone station) there is a lot of epic singletrack that is suitable for MTB riding. But that is a hard core trek and NOT a place you want to ride alone. It is extremely remote.

One option would be the golden eagle trail off hwy 138 and the old ridge route. That is a lot closer to you than the other places you mention and it is an excellent singletrack trail. I have that ride in a GPS track and would be happy to email you if you're interested.
    R

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the info on Golden Eagle... I'll check it out. I don't have any GPS stuff... but thanks for the offer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    There are great trails within an hour drive from Lancaster from Wrightwood over to Mt. Pinos and most parts in between. Devil's Punchbowl, 5-Deer, Manzanita and lots of others. The only legal ride near Mill Creek is the Chilao/Silver Mocassin loop which is about 20 min. from Mill Creek and about an hour from Lancaster. If you want to ride sometime send me a pm and I'll be glad to show you some trails. I'll be riding Mt. Pinos on Saturday. I don't qualify for senior discounts yet but I'm seriously pushing the half century barrier! I've been riding here for about 16 years. I forgot to mention the Joshua Ranch Trail area south of Rancho Vista. I park on 60th west at the aqueduct bridge and ride southeast. Lots of moto/atv type trails with bits of singletrack here and there.

Hey EMrider, where are the epic singletracks in the Piutes? I've talked to lots of moto guys who ride up there and they say it's too sandy for mtb. Let me know when you mtb up there again and I'll try to join you. I'm always looking for new places to ride....who isn't?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog
    There are great trails within an hour drive from Lancaster from Wrightwood over to Mt. Pinos and most parts in between. Devil's Punchbowl, 5-Deer, Manzanita and lots of others. The only legal ride near Mill Creek is the Chilao/Silver Mocassin loop which is about 20 min. from Mill Creek and about an hour from Lancaster. If you want to ride sometime send me a pm and I'll be glad to show you some trails. I'll be riding Mt. Pinos on Saturday. I don't qualify for senior discounts yet but I'm seriously pushing the half century barrier! I've been riding here for about 16 years. I forgot to mention the Joshua Ranch Trail area south of Rancho Vista. I park on 60th west at the aqueduct bridge and ride southeast. Lots of moto/atv type trails with bits of singletrack here and there.

Hey EMrider, where are the epic singletracks in the Piutes? I've talked to lots of moto guys who ride up there and they say it's too sandy for mtb. Let me know when you mtb up there again and I'll try to join you. I'm always looking for new places to ride....who isn't?
    There is an incredible amount of epic singletrack in the Piutes. But your moto friends are right, most of it is too sandy and steep for MTB riding. I ride dirtbikes up there and think it is the best moto riding in all of SoCal. Sometime in the next few weeks I'd like to give Mt. Pinos a try. I've heard a lot of good things about that ride.
    R

member: kv dirt daddies

The Piutes

I have done a few MTB rides in the Piutes. EMrider is correct for the most part. Too sandy and steep for MTB. Much better suited to dirt bikes. I have found one sweet loop that involves a 1 1/2 hour fire road climb and a 1/2 hour singletrack downhill. I have done an epic ride from the top down to Southlake. I have done a few others that I would not repeat.
    Too much Hike-a-bike. The motorcycle riding up there is outstanding. It is very remote.

mtbr member
    Well there is 5 deer which is off Bouquet....I drive to it out of Santa clarita & have ran into several people from the AV area over the years! That is one of my favorite rides!

As you read the reviews Matt W. is me & I now live in South Carolina!...don't know still why I moved here as there are no stinkin mountains in this state...well not like Calif.!

http://www.socalmtb.com/socal/trails...m?list=reviews

Here is another REALLY FUN RIP!
    http://www.socalmtb.com/socal/trails...m?list=reviews

Also here is a SLEW of rides to choose from...not in the AV area but a great site to check stuff out at! http://www.socalmtb.com/trails/trails.cgi?la_,socal,n,n
    Ride Dirt
    Matt W.
    Press On !
    Gal 5:6,b NIV
    Celebrating 20+ YEARS of strictly MTB riding!..I'm old

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A hearty thanks to one & all for the AV & link info!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

AV Rides

A hearty thanks to one & all for the AV rides & link info!

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Golden Eagle, one of my favorites, should be really good with this current moisture. If this old coot can get interest from my local group I'd like to do it tomorrow before it dry's out.
    Bring wide toothy tires, the drop off the mountain is mostly sand/decomposed granite & FAST...