mtbr member

any good trails at El Capitan Campground in SB?

I'm staying at El Capitan campground this weekend and wanted to bring my bike up there and get in some riding. I see on their website they talk about bikes, but I'm sure they are referring to some beach trail. Are there any good rides right from that campground into the hills?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keypocket
    I'm staying at El Capitan campground this weekend and wanted to bring my bike up there and get in some riding. I see on their website they talk about bikes, but I'm sure they are referring to some beach trail. Are there any good rides right from that campground into the hills?
    My Topo maps show 4WD roads. You have to go a bit to get into National Forest. I wouldn't expect singletracks in the hills.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go to the front desk at the El Capitan resort, they have maps of the trails in the surrounding mountains. I rode it last summer and would rate it easy to medium. Not a spectacular ride, but better than not riding.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    You're going to have a problem finding trails to ride from the campground because there there are no easements from the campground to the national forest. This means that there are no legal trails on the ocean side of the mountains west of Santa Barbara until you get up to Gaviota State Park about 10 miles up the road. The second problem is that the trails have been substantially reconfigured by all of the rain we've had this year. Any trail that you see written up in a guidebook for the area has likely been rendered impassible over the winter. If you're really jonesing to ride around SB, call one of the local shops (Hazard's, Velo-Pro, Bicycle Bob's) and they should be able to give you the current state of the trails.

Good Luck!

Glad to Be Alive
    the best "trail" is the right hand point on a big north or west swell even a combo...Great thick hollow wave
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

not this weekend

all walled up. Did do some riding though - decent hills - too overgrown and about 4 miles up the one hill the road disappeared and there was no way to the other side. Turned around - but good thing - had a nice female tick partially burrowed into my thigh. Got it out alive with some tweezers.

Glad to Be Alive
    all walled up. .

did you surf the point around the corner???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days