mtbr member

Any chemists out there?

My wife thinks that by freezing my camelbak with some water in it before I ride, I may be causing chemicals (from the plastic reservoir) to leach into the water/ice within the reservoir. Anyone else care to offer a differing opinion or perhaps agree with her? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm a chemist

Very small quantities of chemicals used to manufacture plastics do leach into the water they contain, for any plastic container. More of these chemical impurities will leach into the water at higher temperatures and longer exposure times. Almost no leaching can occur between plastics and ice.

No one knows for sure what the long-term effects of exposure to these sorts of chemicals will be, but when put into perspective of all other risks we face, you really have nothing to worry about.

Thirsty
    I am a chemist too and I agree with Missing in Action.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing in Action
    I'm a chemist

Very small quantities of chemicals used to manufacture plastics do leach into the water they contain, for any plastic container. More of these chemical impurities will leach into the water at higher temperatures and longer exposure times. Almost no leaching can occur between plastics and ice.

No one knows for sure what the long-term effects of exposure to these sorts of chemicals will be, but when put into perspective of all other risks we face, you really have nothing to worry about.
    Chemist here as well, I have to agree with the above. The amounts that leach are in the parts per billion level and are negligible. Toxicity is associated with high levels or dose of the toxin, i.e. bisphenols (from polycarbonates bottles) not sure about camelbaks however. Almost anything at higher doses can be considered toxic like aspirin, etc. hope that helps anyhow..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewMaster
    I am a chemist too and I agree with Missing in Action.

maybe we should have a chemist forums. ha ha.

BTW, I'm a medicinal/organic chemist. How about you guys.. I know it's off topic now.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by protocol_droid
    I'm a medicinal/organic chemist. How about you guys.. I know it's off topic now.
    Not off-topic considering the title of the thread. After getting my BS in chem I spent some time in the lab but quickly moved into molecular bio and genomics. That was years ago, haven't put on a lab coat in a long time, except when visiting folks working in the lab.

Like Brewmaster I put my background in biochem to use making frothy beverages at home, or at least I am assuming brewmaster is cooking up some sort of malty goodness.

Like the rest here, I don't see any problems with freezing water in your hydration bladder other than the ice that forms could scratch the inside of the bladder, creating rough surfaces that would be more likely to harbor bacteria or mold. That would be if you got a block of ice in there, and then moved the bladder around. I like to put only water in my bladder and I just empty it out and rinse with water occasionally - I never put sports drinks in it or clean it with a brush, and it stays super clean and doesn't get scratches. Once you scratch it up I think you have to be more vigilant and clean it with a brush and soap periodically, especially if you use sports drinks in it.

mtbr member
    I agree with the above replies. Your wife should be more worried about the air pollutants you inhale while ridding.

I have a BS in chemistry and a BS in biochemistry, just graduated last year. Now I am working on my Masters in chemical engineering.

MolarM
    Jan 2006
    I've got a BS in Chem as well. And now I can tell you that you can use an Efferdent tablet(denture cleanser) to help cleanse a Camelback bladder. Just remember to rinse thoroughly before refilling. MM
    Last edited by molarm; 07-02-2008 at 10:05 PM.
    MolarM

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm a chemist too (pharmaceutical product development)! Who knew there were so many of us here? I wash new bladders with dish soap to mitigate the new bladder smell. This would remove more plasticizer than many normal rinse/use cycles. Regardless, as previously mentioned, we are talking about extremely low levels in food contact materials.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Torque Wrench
    I'm a chemist too (pharmaceutical product development)! Who knew there were so many of us here? I wash new bladders with dish soap to mitigate the new bladder smell. This would remove more plasticizer than many normal rinse/use cycles. Regardless, as previously mentioned, we are talking about extremely low levels in food contact materials.
    After some time in the lab, I would imagine most bench chemists at least non ph.d's tend to move onto other venues, like mba's or pharm development like you. Did you get another degree to assist the move into product development?

BTW, I've an MS with almost 10 yrs experience in the lab...bout time to try something new.

And yes, it's cool that there are so many chemists!!!

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I am no chemist but one positive side of freezing your Camelback is nastly little bugs such as legionella love to grow in water around 65 degrees F. It could be a possibility depending on where you get your water.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by protocol_droid
    After some time in the lab, I would imagine most bench chemists at least non ph.d's tend to move onto other venues, like mba's or pharm development like you. Did you get another degree to assist the move into product development?

BTW, I've an MS with almost 10 yrs experience in the lab...bout time to try something new.

And yes, it's cool that there are so many chemists!!!
    After 10 years as an analytical chemist I needed a change. 17 years ago with bachelors in biology and chemistry, without any pharmaceutical experience, I landed in the right place at the right time.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I always freeze mine to keep mildew from forming. I have come to the realization that everything we consume has the possibility of adverse effects. I am not a chemist but I did sleep at a holiday inn express last night.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a M Sc in Polymer Science.And I also agree with everything that's been said already, and I keep my Camelbak in the freezer as well.

mtbr member

So better to just leave it in the freezer till the next ride?

I often let hang in my spare room closet (with light exposure - closet door is open) in the camelbak hanger after i clean it with a dry paper towel to absorb any possible moisture. Sounds like it might be safer just to leave in the freezer until i use again?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am not a chemist at all. All I know about science I have picked up from Jeapordy science categories. I may remember some things from High School but there is no way to tell. Anyways, I agree what those other guys said, and thank you all for inspiring me to wash my Camelback. Is biannually enough if I store it in the freezer next to the Jim Beam after every 4th ride? Thanks guys!!

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    I have never cleaned my camelbak. Still waiting for it to make me sick after 2+ years...

Lord of the Chainrings
    I clean my Camelbak with a few drops of colloidal silver.

"Colloidal silver works as a catalyst, disabling the enzyme that all one-celled bacteria, fungi and other microorganisms use for their oxygen metabolism. In short, the bad guys suffocate. Colloidal silver is nontoxic, making it safe for children and adults, as well as pets."
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Im a chemist too! Not quite finished yet, and I don't think I will stick with it. All the chemists I meet seem to be really poor. Applying to law school after I get my degree

I agree with everyone above. The only thing I would worry about would be the residues left over from manufacturing.
    Last edited by swmarc; 08-01-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Front Range, Colorado
    Well I'm not a chemist but I could be studied as a long time subject to exposure to doing this. I have been freezing my Camelbak with a small amount of water in it for nine years. On secant thought after looking in the mirror and trying to form a sentence you may want to cease doing this.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 08-01-2008 at 04:03 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Equal opportunity meanie
    There are probably lots of self employed chemists out in the SoCal deserts you could consult with. Look for the trailers in the hills surrounded by pitbulls.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    There are probably lots of self employed chemists out in the SoCal deserts you could consult with. Look for the trailers in the hills surrounded by pitbulls.
    they'll know all about keeping harmful chemicals out of your body

mtbr member

Adding something like hammer heed to the water?

Anyone ever add supplements to their water... something like Hammer Heed? That's what i do but i imagine this creates a much greater need for a more thorough cleaning. Sometimes I feel like i get a slight case of the "deli belly" if i don't clean it well including a bleaching with the camelbak bleach tabs.

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    I will volunteer as a test subject for the frothy beverage experiments!