Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Any Big Bear Info

I have been hearing that they may open early this year due to our abnormally warm winter. While I have considered this just rumor, I am wondering if anyone else has heard this? Or if you have ridden up there what are the trail conditions like?
    Last edited by A-NON-A; 03-06-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Soil Taste Tester

Pro Crastinator
    they are still skiing up there. no bikes on the lifts yet...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks WCH ... I knew that but I hear they are having a hard time with keeping good snow pack etc... Also I know a fair amount of people will take the fire access roads up and ride. Just looking for trail conditions and thoughts on the snow levels that are currently up there. Im sure it will be a normal Memorial Weekend opening again ....
    Soil Taste Tester

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    they are still skiing up there. no bikes on the lifts yet...
    ^^^^^^ yes

We have a trailer there (I know ghetto, but its being rented now) but the trails are like
    open in April, second week if no snow like a real dry season (ugh--dry seasons ruin our economy, no happy faces up there). The forest service does an excellent
    job of cleaning up the fireroads and ST and they start doing it in late March/April
    No use in doing work if it starts snowing again.
    Don't worry, the place will still be there in spring. This note is brought to you
    by Boo Bear's Den Restaurant. Stop in when you're in town and say hello
    to Rick. Breakfasts, Lunch and Dinner. That's Boo Bears Den off of Pineknot
    in downtown Big Bear Lake, CA.

official eMpTyBRain
    My friend has a cabin up there and he is up there just about every week. He hiked Cougar Crest Trail a few days ago and said it's 2"-3" of sinking mud right now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You can ride up here, but not on the Snow Summit side. Mostly fire road both on the north shore and the east end, but you'll still hit patches of snow/ ice and lots of mud. Right now Tues.3/6, 6:50pm, windy and slightly snowing.

Big Hittin'
    hey guys...i havnt ever ridden big bear.

i was looking at the website and notice they had a rule that the bikes have to have 2 chainrings.

i have a yeti 575 with a 1x10 setup. its far from a DH bike.....will they not let me on the lift?
    29er's are Goofy

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2 View Post

i was looking at the website and notice they had a rule that the bikes have to have 2 chainrings.

i have a yeti 575 with a 1x10 setup. its far from a DH bike.....will they not let me on the lift?
    WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK OF USING THE LIFTS WHEN THEY RIDE BIG BEAR?!

You can climb the mountain up any number of ways via fireroad or trail. Plus, you have the other side of the lake to ride which I think is better anyway.

Pro Crastinator

guidelines are just guidelines. in my experience, if you don't show up with a full blown dh rig, you are money...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    How about a full blown DH rig with two chainrings?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I was up there last October and none of the bikes on the lift were full on DH rigs.
    Last edited by lanceuppercut; 03-07-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK OF USING THE LIFTS WHEN THEY RIDE BIG BEAR?!

You can climb the mountain up any number of ways via fireroad or trail. Plus, you have the other side of the lake to ride which I think is better anyway.
    Well the flat landers don't have much time when doing a day trip so climbing up, which takes an hour or so may burn up their "Totally D'Hillin" time, which I understand. But as a BBL tax paying citizen resident, I also can't see paying the $20 lift tic But whatever floats your boat, just come up and spend your money

Professional Troll
    Shhhhhhhh! Don't spread the secret fool!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Shhhhhhhh! Don't spread the secret fool!
    Fixed it.

Big Hittin'
    thanks guys...looks like im good.

just didnt wanna drive 2 hours and be disapopinted lol
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Same experiences here. I was up there twice last season. It's no secret. They were clearly not enforcing their bike restrictions on weight < 35#, tires <2.5", and whatever else is stated on their website. Guys were getting Intense 951s and similar DH rigs loaded with no comments from the lift operators.

If I go back to BB this year I probably would not get a lift pass. I'm an XC rider that likes the downhills, but honestly the trails aren't that great. They were super powdery and blown out. A few good XC trails exist, and now that I know the area I'd just ride up on the forest roads to hit them.

If you're a DH'r then the lift makes sense. If you are XC rider visiting for the first time, the lift also makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I heard from a reliable source that they are going to enforce the bike rules on the lifts, due to conflicts of out of control bikers with other users, not that that will solve the problem

mtbr member
    I hope they dont enforce! I just switched to single chainring on my Nomad! I cant wait to get back up...I wish there was trail enhancement/building allowed! Is there???

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    I hope they dont enforce! I just switched to single chainring on my Nomad! I cant wait to get back up...I wish there was trail enhancement/building allowed! Is there???
    They say that all the time, but if the past is a indication of the future it only last until people start handing over their money to get up the hill.

Dean

Life Is Short
    NO BIKING FOR YOU!

Current Snow Report
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Big Bear Info-dscf8025.jpg  

Last edited by fatcat; 03-18-2012 at 02:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Big Bear snow summit

Hey i am a snow boarder but also i mountain bike, i am planning to use my season pass this year and try snow summit for biking using the lift. i have an F250 and i am looking for 3-4 people to share the gas and go up for a day. they will start in may sometimes. wanted to see if we could plan things ahead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biker1515 View Post
    Hey i am a snow boarder but also i mountain bike, i am planning to use my season pass this year and try snow summit for biking using the lift. i have an F250 and i am looking for 3-4 people to share the gas and go up for a day. they will start in may sometimes. wanted to see if we could plan things ahead.
    where you coming from?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biker1515 View Post
    I might be down! Im in the L.A. south bay area but would be willing to drive to meet up!

Beer Please!
    With all the recent storms the snow season might extend a bit further than initially thought.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Im thinking end of april, barring no new storms

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast