Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I am currently in Glendale CA, but might move in the south bay area such as torrance, hawthorne, lawndale

Chubby Chaser
    I sure hope they open up soon... the wait is killing me! Last year I went there to ride for the first time and they closed the lifts for bikes the following week. From what I saw it doesn't look like they enforce the "No DH bike" rule. There were more than a few guys with full blown DH rigs there that weekend.

mtbr member
    Aslong as you have $ they will let you ride, DH rig or not. IMO

Anyone wanna tag with or invite a fellow DHer? Message me and let's plan it out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    They do look and even weighed mine at 45lbs. They grumbled a little saying it was heavy for them to lift but other than that, they were pretty cool.

Chubby Chaser
    Does anybody know around what date they usually open the lifts for mountain bikers?

mtbr member
    depends on the season would be my guess. hopefully end of april, beginning of may

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Snow Summit twitter says lifts should continue running for skiing and boarding til 4/15 or so. Same with Big Bear lifts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ragged edge racing View Post
    They do look and even weighed mine at 45lbs. They grumbled a little saying it was heavy for them to lift but other than that, they were pretty cool.
    When was this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    When was this?
    This was the last month of the season last fall. They weighed it both times I went. Second time was to see if I shaved 2lbs or not but it was the same lifty. I do have a full DH bike and so does my 10 year old son so maybe that helps not to look like we are going to thrash the place.

Chubby Chaser
    Quote Originally Posted by Craw View Post
    Snow Summit twitter says lifts should continue running for skiing and boarding til 4/15 or so. Same with Big Bear lifts.
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I was hoping the lifts would be opening for mountain bikes sometime this month. Have any of you guys tried camping up in big bear?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Goes Boing View Post
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I was hoping the lifts would be opening for mountain bikes sometime this month. Have any of you guys tried camping up in big bear?
    Well, there hasn't been any mention of when they'll open up the lifts to take bikes yet. I'd assume they'd close the resort down for a bit, to do whatever maintenance that needs to be done then open it up for summer season shortly thereafter.

Either way, it's probably not too far off.

mtbr member
    This was the last month of the season last fall. They weighed it both times I went. Second time was to see if I shaved 2lbs or not but it was the same lifty. I do have a full DH bike and so does my 10 year old son so maybe that helps not to look like we are going to thrash the place.
    Yeah, the kid definitely helps with the 'good' image. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The Forestry Service is negotiating contracts with perspective management companies to run the 2 campgrounds, Pineknot and Serrano. Pineknot is next to Summit and Serrano is on the North Shore. Recreation.gov states 5/31 for opening which sucks. They normally open the middle of this month.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The Forestry Service is negotiating contracts with perspective management companies to run the 2 campgrounds, Pineknot and Serrano. Pineknot is next to Summit and Serrano is on the North Shore. Recreation.gov states 5/31 for opening which sucks. They normally open the middle of this month.

We all must be itching to ride... 1500 views already?! I hope the Forestry Service doesnt DELAY the normal opening when I was hoping the light season would lead to an early opening.
    Soil Taste Tester

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just got back from a couple of days up there. It rained and some light snow late tuesday and wednesday. Ski runs had a decent amount of snow on them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^^^^^^^What?? No way. I was up there on Tuesday. There is absolutely no snow off the trails, and it was slushy (to the point where you had to walk across some of the flat areas because it was too slow), and there were multiple bare spots on the trails.

Don't worry group, after today's storm, I doubt they get any snow, the runs will be open soon to biking.

mtbr member
    Snow should be gone soon. 10 day forecast is in our favor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Big Bear Info-screen-shot-2012-04-13-6.40.01-pm.png  

Chubby Chaser
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    ^^^^^^^What?? No way. I was up there on Tuesday. There is absolutely no snow off the trails, and it was slushy (to the point where you had to walk across some of the flat areas because it was too slow), and there were multiple bare spots on the trails.

Don't worry group, after today's storm, I doubt they get any snow, the runs will be open soon to biking.
    I'm quivering with excitement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Anyone know if pirates of the caribbean is gonna be restored, since the braintrusts at the forest service leveled it to a fire road last yr?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    when i was up snowbaording at summit a couple weeks ago we were tlaking with a patrol guy on the lift that said they are talking about building more downhill style trails, and possibly features. we will have to wait and see though.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There are rumors floating around that Summit is going to open to bikes with an all new mountainbike park, don't know if its going to happen this year or not. Rumor has it that a serious effort will be made to make it a world class bike park.
    All I ask of anyone reading this post, that when youre riding up here, especially on the Snow Summit side, ride responsibly, so the share holders and risk management could finally give the go ahead on this plan/ rumor.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the kid definitely helps with the 'good' image. Thanks for the info.
    I got neg repped for sayin this. I love shaking things up in an uptight forum community. What I said was so radical!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That would be sooooo incredibly awesome! Do they have new ownership? Last I asked the lift folk why they haven't followed mammoths example, they said that the owners were deathly afraid of another lawsuit...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    There are rumors floating around that Summit is going to open to bikes with an all new mountainbike park, don't know if its going to happen this year or not. Rumor has it that a serious effort will be made to make it a world class bike park.
    All I ask of anyone reading this post, that when youre riding up here, especially on the Snow Summit side, ride responsibly, so the share holders and risk management could finally give the go ahead on this plan/ rumor.
    Rumors, Pffft... I sure wish though....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I got neg repped for sayin this. I love shaking things up in an uptight forum community. What I said was so radical!
    Trouble maker, lol...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast