Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004

Another roadie hit and run fatality in San Diego

I hate these stories. Just happened the last hour. I hope the scumbag driver gets hung:

Bicyclist killed in Solana Beach

A bicyclist was killed today in Solana Beach in a hit-and-run accident that happened just before noon. The person was riding on North Highway 101 at Solana Vista Drive when he was hit by what witnesses described as an older red Toyota 4Runner that has front-end damage and is missing a headlight, sheriff's officials said.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Update: Hope they nabbed the right guy:

Arrest in hit-and-run death

Escondido Police have arrested someone in connection with the hit-and-run accident that killed a bicylist just before noon in Solana Beach.

Sheriff's deputies are meeting with Escondido police officers to question the driver suspected in the crash, a sheriff's deputy said. News of the arrest came while investigators were still at the crash site on North Highway 101 at Solana Vista Drive.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    I am glad that they caught him at least. It is always sad to see someone lose their life to someone who isn't paying attention.
    Last edited by thebigred67; 03-16-2007 at 02:08 PM.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    That's a real bummer. Sympathies to the cyclist's family and friends.

Geritol Power

very sad

I stopped riding on the asphalt after my kids were born. They need me. Someone probably needed that poor roadie too. Someone may even need the person that killed the roadie too.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Geez, more details:

SOLANA BEACH – A 40-year-old woman riding a bicycle along the coast highway late Friday morning was hit and killed by an SUV whose driver failed to stop.
    Authorities said the driver was arrested at his home in Escondido an hour and a half later.

The woman, a Solana Beach resident, was riding in the bike lane along the northbound side of North Highway 101 past Solana Vista Drive just before noon when she was struck by the SUV, whose driver veered into the bike lane, sheriff's Sgt. Randy Webb said.

“He clipped her and did not stop,” Webb said.

The impact threw the woman against a small tree. Her crushed bicycle ended up on the sidewalk some 70 feet away.

A doctor who was passing by worked on the woman, but she died minutes after the accident.

Webb said the crash was witnessed by a senior volunteer with the sheriff's department who followed the driver of the older red Toyota 4-Runner and called in the license number.

That number led police to a residence on Rock Springs Road in Escondido where the SUV is registered.
    Escondido police officers went to the residence and took a man believed to be the driver into custody about 1:30 p.m., sheriff's Lt. Phil Brust said.

Authorities have not identified the suspect. Police planned to transfer him to the custody of the sheriff's department, and were waiting Friday afternoon for a tow truck to impound the SUV, which was found at the suspect's home.

Webb said the woman, whose name has not been released, was well known in the area and frequently went cycling along the highway. He said some of the firefighters summoned to the crash site knew her.

She lived nearby and her husband came to the crash site.

Webb said the woman was wearing a helmet.

Parts of the vehicle were found at the site, including paint chips, a rear view mirror and the lens from the right headlight.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    *gulp

mtbr member
    That's very sad.

They should hang the bastage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thats too bad. I ride that stretch pretty often, and its scary as hell. Its the drivers scrambing to find parking on the side of the highway, or waiting for parking while waiting in the bike lane!

Just Ride!
    Very sad news.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Why does the person have to be a "roadie?" Why not a bicylist? FWIW, she was riding a mountain bike. I saw the front half of the bike and the covered body - pretty much ruined my day thinking about how her husband and family must feel. It also happened on the north bound stretch of road where there are no businesses or parking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My prayers go out to her family. I have no sympathy for the driver!

Going to step on the soapbox for a second..... LIVE FOR TODAY, YOU HAVE NO GUARANTEE OF TOMORROW!

Just mob it...
    thats very sad news. my condolences to her family. how can the moron that hit her not stop at least? what a real p. o. s.
    -chris

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by afi823
    thats very sad news. my condolences to her family. how can the moron that hit her not stop at least? what a real p. o. s.
    -chris
    The moron will have time to reflect with his "new wife" in the state penetentairy.

I cringe when I hear of these tragic events, knowing many of my ride friends frequent the blacktop and the dirt. Me, I stay away from "dodge car" and only ride offroad.

pewpewpew Moderator
    sad news indeed.
    Love, Impy

Glad to Be Alive
    sad news indeed
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Condolences to the family - that really is sad.

Birthday Collector
    When I lived in SD I rode that stretch of road a lot in the summer months - when it just got too damn warm to ride inland on the dirt sometimes. Really sad to hear. I still ride the road in NorCal now, as I like the workout, but today traffic was scarier than normal. Feel lucky I got home OK. What a shame.

mtbr member

Ride of Silence

Mark your calendar for May 16th. This one is in Irvine but there are also rides in San Diego and Fullerton.

http://www.sellin.com/silence/

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004

Update: The a-hole driver was drunk

When will people learn DON'T DRIVE DRUNK!!!

VISTA – An Escondido man was charged with murder Thursday for a fatal hit-and-run accident in Solana Beach that killed a 40-year-old bicyclist.
    If convicted, Brian Stephen Carnes, 41, faces a maximum sentence of 15 years to life in prison, prosecutor Brenda Daly said in an interview.

Carnes was arrested 90 minutes after the March 16 accident on suspicion of causing a hit-and-run accident while intoxicated.
    Daly filed the murder charge based on Carnes' previous drunken-driving conviction and his blood-alcohol level at the time of the accident, which the prosecutor declined to reveal.

A message left with Carnes' defense attorney was not immediately returned.

Jeannie Franklin was pedaling north in the bike lane on North Highway 101 near Solana Vista Drive when she was hit by Carnes' SUV when it crossed into her lane, according to authorities. The noon-time collision sent Franklin into a small tree, where the Solana Beach resident died despite quickly getting medical assistance from a doctor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    15 years to life... that's not enough!

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Warrior
    15 years to life... that's not enough!
    Nope it isn't.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    Carnes' previous drunken-driving conviction and his blood-alcohol level at the time of the accident
    I've never understood why the courts give people a second (and a third, and a fourth) opportunity to kill. The court's message, "You didn't kill anyone the first time so why don't you give it another shot. Keep trying until you get it right." Now he gets the gift of a maximum of 15 years. He'll never do the full 15.

Natural body armor
    Very very sad...
    Condolences to the family.
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    Now he gets the gift of a maximum of 15 years. He'll never do the full 15.
    And when he gets out what use will he be to the world anyway? Just kill the bastich right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast