That's gonna leave a mark

Another proud Pop @ Firestone

We had a great weekend at Firestone, as well. My 7 year old boy participated in the Kids' Race on Sunday. Even though his dad is a bike-aholic, he was a late comer to cycling and just learned to ride a two-wheeler less than 3 weeks ago. After our trip to Utah last month, he decided it was time.

It was a 2 stage event: downhill carnage followed by lumpy-grassed XC. The downhill event featured a long, steep grassy hill riddled with deep potholes hidden by 12" tall grass. Needless to say, there were many highspeed wipeouts with injuries that involved endo's, stem-nutters, and full-on faceplants.

Here's a pic of my son successfully negotiating his 2nd DH run. The third one sent him OTB with a sound stem-nutter and a cracked helmet!

After writhing in the grass for several minutes crying out "I broke my boner!", he finally recovered and insisted he get back on the bike and continue. I refuse to pressure him in sports, but I have to admit I was beaming with pride that he wanted to get back into the saddle.

Then came the event he was training for at the local park: the dreaded lumpy-grassed XC. And boy, it was a doozy. Several kids had troubles keeping the bikes moving just because of the momentum grabbing terrain. Here he is on his final of two laps:

Here he is proudly displaying his 1st place medal for all to see. I don't think he noticed that all of the other kids that participated happened to win 1st place too. I think he figured there must have been a heck of a lot of classes.

Here's proud Pop (37) taking off in my class earlier that day.

Managed to take 6th place in a field of 20 or so riders. It was a great race in fantastic conditions. Even had a sprint finish with two guys in my class in the last few hundred yards.

I figure by the second half of the season I'll bump up to Sport class. It'll be humbling, but I have no choice since I want to do a few on the SS. And there ain't no Beginner classes for the SS crowd...

Edit: Whoops! I accidentally typed "miles" instead of "yards"... correction made.
    Last edited by Upchuck; 05-01-2006 at 07:26 PM.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Even had a sprint finish with two guys in my class in the last few hundred miles.
    Geez! How long do they make beginners' races these days?! I might have opted for the kids' race (and lost).

Congrats to you and your son!

Quote Originally Posted by Paydirt
    Geez! How long do they make beginners' races these days?! I might have opted for the kids' race (and lost).

Congrats to you and your son!
    LOL! Whoops!
    Fat fanatic.

I AM PEDALING!
    Great story!!
    It's always cool to the little kids out hanging with us BIG kids.
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great day. Cracking a helmet, he's hardcore!

now if only he rode 'til he puked......

No known cure

Looks like...

he may have lost a couple 'o teeth in the crash. If you think riding in the grass at the Firestone is tough, try finding a smooth spot to pitch a tent. I had a great time there Saturday
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Quote Originally Posted by Vader
    he may have lost a couple 'o teeth in the crash. If you think riding in the grass at the Firestone is tough, try finding a smooth spot to pitch a tent. I had a great time there Saturday
    Ugh, I can only imagine! We did the 24 Hour Chamberlain Ranch up there and had to clear the area of cowpies and thistle for our tents. I don't think I would have made it if we had to sleep where the kids raced.
    Fat fanatic.

Quote Originally Posted by burner
    Sounds like a great day. Cracking a helmet, he's hardcore!

now if only he rode 'til he puked......
    Don't worry, Mat. He has plenty of time to live up to his dad's namesake.
    Fat fanatic.

MTBR member-at-large
    My 5 yr old did the dh. I didn't see it (I was still on the race course) but apparently he had a spectacular crash. He was the 1st to go and tried hitting the box jump at the bottom, in mid-air the lost it and the announcer tried to catch him, but made it worse by falling on him. No real harm, minor scraps and bumbs, the cool part was he got right back on and kept going for a few hours more until it was time to leave.
    Better at pedaling than typing

Quote Originally Posted by ThornPatch
    My 5 yr old did the dh. I didn't see it (I was still on the race course) but apparently he had a spectacular crash. He was the 1st to go and tried hitting the box jump at the bottom, in mid-air the lost it and the announcer tried to catch him, but made it worse by falling on him. No real harm, minor scraps and bumbs, the cool part was he got right back on and kept going for a few hours more until it was time to leave.
    I remember that wreck very well! Every cringed when he went down. It was even worse when the announcer tried to save him and ended up trampling over him. You've got a tough boy there!
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wow...my daughter is 3 and I think she might be into stuff like this. She's already beating the boys on the trikes and little two-wheelers with training wheels at her pre-school. When I see threads like this and the ones about Lacey winning races, I think I see my future.
    BTW Upchuck, I used to post as Tortuga on SoCal MTB. We met a while ago (a long while ago!). How ya been?

Quote Originally Posted by focused
    Wow...my daughter is 3 and I think she might be into stuff like this. She's already beating the boys on the trikes and little two-wheelers with training wheels at her pre-school. When I see threads like this and the ones about Lacey winning races, I think I see my future.
    BTW Upchuck, I used to post as Tortuga on SoCal MTB. We met a while ago (a long while ago!). How ya been?
    Boy, it's been a long time since I've seen that moniker! Yeah, I remember meeting you on a ride. I think it was up at the Kernville Fattire Festival. Wasn't DaBreeze with you guys on that trip?

Where are you riding these days?
    Fat fanatic.