97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

"Sequoia" is hardly So Cal.

That's all I really have to say. Oh... yeah. And if you play with the big cats, you're gonna get bit. Don't play with cats. Cat's are stupid.

Thank you very much,

Coop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annihilation Principle
    That's all I really have to say. Oh... yeah. And if you play with the big cats, you're gonna get bit. Don't play with cats. Cat's are stupid.

Thank you very much,

Coop
    well bakersfield sure isnt nocal and cats arent stupid, their indifferent.

your very welcome

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member

By the way..wasn't a biker, but a hiker from what I hear.. nm

By the way..wasn't a biker, but a hiker from what I hear..

banned
    Apr 2004

Imagine that, a mountain lion

Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    Up in seqioua near bakersfield.

buddy up when you ride!!!!!!

wayne
    acting like a mountain lion. One day we will tell our grand kids that there was actually a time when you had to worry about wild animals.

Warrior's Society
    I feel for the people and the families. However I am tired of everyone acting so paranoid. Just go out and enjoy yourselves. Who cares what is going on in Bakersfield.

mtnbikej

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    I feel for the people and the families. However I am tired of everyone acting so paranoid. Just go out and enjoy yourselves. Who cares what is going on in Bakersfield.

mtnbikej
    Riding w/a buddy is acting paranoid? Thats funny. If your dont care about whats going on in bakersfield your sentiment to the people and families is pretty hollow.

I feel for the mtn lion, if people wouldnt act dumb it wouldnt have attacked and in turn get put down.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

Warrior's Society
    Riding w/a buddy is acting paranoid? Thats funny. If your dont care about whats going on in bakersfield your sentiment to the people and families is pretty hollow.

I feel for the mtn lion, if people wouldnt act dumb it wouldnt have attacked and in turn get put down.

wayne
    Its not so much that. It's people not riding certain trails because someone "thought" they saw a mountain lion. I have run across a lot of riders/hikers who will not go near Whiting Ranch because of one isolated incident. They think that people get attacked every week in the park.

People coming on message boards and reporting mountain lion sightings only fuels the hysteria.

That's all. Just my own opinion. Nothing more.

mtnbikej

Ouch, I am hot!
    if people wouldnt act dumb it wouldnt have attacked and in turn get put down.

wayne
    If people acting dumb had anything to do with mountain lions attacking, there would be no people.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Masked Rider Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    If people acting dumb had anything to do with mountain lions attacking, there would be no people.

LOLOL! You killing me! True words!

FYI: that makes 15 Mountain Lion attacks in the state of California since 1890 (true statistic fact)!!!!! Paranoia of Mountain Lion attacks is not an option!

Oh yea: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/lion/attacks.html

dead sailor

a bit OT but...

actually, just some time ago a mtn lion got shot here in Spring Valley, CA (east county San Diego) because of some guy acting dumb. Apparently, the golfer lured the 50lbs mtn lion to the golf course with a Clif bar (why would you need a clif bar for golfing ). Well, the lion won't leave so the cops shot the less-than-1yr-old mtn lion because it was hanging around across a middle school and 2 blocks away from my high school. I actually heard the gun shot while in Spanish class, didn't find out what it was though till after school.

BTW, the best part is that the trail the golfer found the mtn lion connects to a trail i ride and is part of the trail our XC team, track team, and PE class uses.
    phuck it!

p.s. I NEED a Pugsley

Masked Rider Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by PickledFish
    actually, just some time ago a mtn lion got shot here in Spring Valley, CA (east county San Diego) because of some guy acting dumb. Apparently, the golfer lured the 50lbs mtn lion to the golf course with a Clif bar (why would you need a clif bar for golfing ). Well, the lion won't leave so the cops shot the less-than-1yr-old mtn lion because it was hanging around across a middle school and 2 blocks away from my high school. I actually heard the gun shot while in Spanish class, didn't find out what it was though till after school.

BTW, the best part is that the trail the golfer found the mtn lion connects to a trail i ride and is part of the trail our XC team, track team, and PE class uses.
    OH MY GOD! A MOUNTAIN LION! WE MUST KILL IT!

F*cking Pathetic!

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    Imagine that a mountain lion acting like a mountain lion.
    Mt. Lions attacking people is not normal mountain lion behaviour. Unless it was self defence rather than hunger.

dead sailor
    Quote Originally Posted by webshot
    F*cking Pathetic!
    it really is. I really felt sorry for the cub. It was just him and the cops. I would think some sort of organization would have tried capture it or something. Nope, the cops just approached him with a puny little net. The mtn lion made a "threatening gesture" (uhhh... maybe like trying to defend himself from the massive swarm of cops armed with shot guns, and even worse, a horde of media men with cameras) and was shot. He probably wasn't even doing a "threatening gesture", he probably was just about to lick his b*lls or scratch his ear.

Maybe everyone should be shot if they touch their b*lls in public.
    phuck it!

p.s. I NEED a Pugsley

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    LOLOL! You killing me! True words!

FYI: that makes 15 Mountain Lion attacks in the state of California since 1890 (true statistic fact)!!!!! Paranoia of Mountain Lion attacks is not an option!

Oh yea: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/lion/attacks.html
    Since you are into statistics, draw the trend line! Paranoia is not an option, but preparation and knowledge are essential in my opinion.

Masked Rider Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur
    Since you are into statistics, draw the trend line! Paranoia is not an option, but preparation and knowledge are essential in my opinion.
    LOL! Good for you! And what is your definition of preparation?

When you figure out how to strap a 12 gauge to the frame of your bike post a pic!

Preparation is such a good idea! I think more young riders should carry guns and knives to defend themselves! What could go wrong?!!

You are still almost three times more likely to get struck by lightning then be attacked by a Mt. Lion.
    Last edited by webshot; 07-16-2004 at 08:10 AM.

Masked Rider Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Mt. Lions attacking people is not normal mountain lion behaviour. Unless it was self defence rather than hunger.
    You are correct, but other factors are involved. If the Mt. Lion's food source diminishes, this could be a cause for concern. Lions are sometimes creatures of opportunity when it comes to their food source. Lions will, in most cases, only hunt at night. They will also leave an area that has no food source. Also if a lion has rabies it could attack because it is sick.

Those statistics show that the first three deaths that were recorded starting in 1890 were actually caused by rabies infections. The people attacked survived the attack but died from rabies because the lion itself was sick (which is probably why it attacked.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You are correct, but other factors are involved. If the Mt. Lion's food source diminishes, this could be a cause for concern. Lions are sometimes creatures of opportunity when it comes to their food source. Lions will, in most cases, only hunt at night. They will also leave an area that has no food source. Also if a lion has rabies it could attack because it is sick.

Those statistics show that the first three deaths that were recorded starting in 1890 were actually caused by rabies infections. The people attacked survived the attack but died from rabies because the lion itself was sick (which is probably why it attacked.)
    None of the recent attacks have indicated rabies and the attack in Whiting Ranch occured in an area where there are plenty of deer. I see more deer in Whiting Ranch than any other mountain bike ride that I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur
    None of the recent attacks have indicated rabies and the attack in Whiting Ranch occured in an area where there are plenty of deer. I see more deer in Whiting Ranch than any other mountain bike ride that I do.

Just wanted to add my comments to the collection, last Sunday 26th on a ride just before dusk in monrovia canyon. on the paved portion going towards trask there was a montain lion going parallel to me and my girlfriend at first I was like just keep riding and he will go away or off in another direction.

We started to get a little nervous cause he stayed with us through a long strait so we stopped dam thing stopped too, I got a good look at him through the brush and decided thats it for this ride.

We turned around and slowly at first started back down once around the corner we booked it.

mtbr member

How to deal with a mountain lion.

Haven't seen this mentioned on this thread, so thought I'd contribute. Been hiking and biking socal trails for ~20 years. Have only spotted one big cat, while hiking. He(?) regarded me and my companion warily, then slunk away downhill.

Recommendations for dealing with a mountain lion:

1. Make yourself appear as large as possible. Put your arms over your head. Puff out your chest. Stand near a companion to make you appear as one larger entity.
    2. Make noise. Wave your arms and roar. Make yourself seem threatening.
    3. Don't run. This kicks in the cat's predator-chase instinct.
    4. If the cat still attacks, go for its eyes or gonads.

HTH. I haven't had to use these tactics (yet), but it's nice to know they are in the database.

Jim

dead sailor

some more hints

as a mountain biker, you guys probably know this already but if you don't you should...

If you see the mountain lion get off your bike. Mountain lions are mostly attracted to prey ie. four-legged animals so stay upright, and leave Fluffy, your 20lbs dog, at home. Put your bike in between the 2 of you, using it as a shield. Maintain eye contact with the cat (this is why some bikers paint eyes on the back of their helmets). Without breaking eye contact, try to throw something at it to scare it off. Maybe you just happened to have a roll of bandage tape in you wedge, chuck it at him, or better yet, use a rock. To make yourself appear larger, open up your jacket, open your arms, or lift your bike over your head while making intimidating noises.

If none of these work, then all I can say is good luck.

EDIT: FYI: bobcats may look like mountain lions but are not a threat. They are usually >50 while mtn lions grow to 150-200 lbs. Bobcats are really friendly, and unlike mountain lions, are not afraid of us. Here in East County San Diego, they are commonly spotted hanging out and usually don't budge from under their shade tree when a bike goes by.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plate
    Just wanted to add my comments to the collection, last Sunday 26th on a ride just before dusk in monrovia canyon. on the paved portion going towards trask there was a montain lion going parallel to me and my girlfriend at first I was like just keep riding and he will go away or off in another direction.

We started to get a little nervous cause he stayed with us through a long strait so we stopped dam thing stopped too, I got a good look at him through the brush and decided thats it for this ride.

We turned around and slowly at first started back down once around the corner we booked it.
    Consider yourself lucky. For one, you were able to see it. Two, your behavior was on the list of things to not do. Glad to hear all worked out well and no one was hurt.

Do you ride that trail/road on a regular basis? Cougars are known to track prey for days at a time. So you may want to vary your ride schedule. Cougars are afraid of people and shy away for the most part. We all run a higher risk of death by getting into our cars and driving everyday compared to the risk of being attacked by a big cat. But a cougar will be aggressive if you come upon a momma cat who is moving her cubs.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusCA
    1. Make yourself appear as large as possible. Put your arms over your head. Puff out your chest. Stand near a companion to make you appear as one larger entity.
    2. Make noise. Wave your arms and roar. Make yourself seem threatening.
    3. Don't run. This kicks in the cat's predator-chase instinct.
    4. If the cat still attacks, go for its eyes or gonads.
    The problem with #4, is the nads may be hard to find on a hairy animal that isnt hung like a horse. Plus, they're at the opposite end of the teeth and claws wrapped around your neck.

What about throwing rocks? Someone mentioned strapping a 12ga to the frame (haha). Even a 6" blade would be a good thing to have (and lightweight). Save the 12ga for urban animals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quarkman
    The problem with #4, is the nads may be hard to find on a hairy animal that isnt hung like a horse. Plus, they're at the opposite end of the teeth and claws wrapped around your neck.

What about throwing rocks? Someone mentioned strapping a 12ga to the frame (haha). Even a 6" blade would be a good thing to have (and lightweight). Save the 12ga for urban animals.
    I was thinking the idea is to kick at the soft parts you can't reach.

I like the idea of carrying a small light blade.

Jim

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PickledFish
    Maintain eye contact with the cat (this is why some bikers paint eyes on the back of their helmets).
    I don't believe this is a good idea. I've always read that you should NOT make eye contact as it is threatening. Instead, watch the cat's feet so that you can see what it's doing without getting into a staring contest.

--Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast